PDA

View Full Version : Help with picking an Arcane caster

Callin
2018-01-23, 05:52 PM
So my character died a glorious death last night by grappling an enemy caster and dragging him through the portal he was keeping open in order to stop a possible Cataclysmic Event. So I am being True Resurrected and I have the ability to Change up my Class and Stats due to story reasons. So due to World Story reasons Arcane Casters were outlawed in this country to stop before said Cataclysmic Event. Its a hold over from one of the DMs previous campaigns and World Building so its really really cool. Think Islam with Afro/Indie feel that relies on Tech to progress. So we had no Arcane Caster in our group. We have a Forge Cleric, Hunter Ranger, Bear Barb, and then me former Artificer/Fighter/Rogue Skill Junkie.

So with the rewrite I still want to do the Skill Junkie thing. I want to be an Arcane Caster and I want to be able to actually be effective in Combat. All of these things point towards a Bard of some sort but I cant decide on HOW to build it. Total level is 14. So if I go full on Caster I can go Lore Bard 12/Warlock 2 for effective Eldritch Blasts and pick up Spiritual Weapon. If I try to keep the original feel of the Character it would probably closer to a lvl 11 Valor Bard/3 Blade Lock and use a Magic Rifle or just 14 Valor Bard and use a High Dex.

Sadly I just rolled mediocre stats. Our Threshold is +5 and I got a +6 total... 15 14 12 12 11 10. So I think Straight Valor Bard is out and probably the weapon use period. So Straight Caster Lore Bard Probably. UA is on the table.

I am open to Other Arcane Suggestions by the way. Sorcerer or Sorclock is possible as is Straight Evoker Wizard (I like to do Damage in Combat with Utility as needed but not my main Fun Focus). Heck even Straight Warlock of the Hexblade (maybe Celestial) any pact would be fine.

Stats wise I can take Human Determination to get +1 to any stat and then use 2 Ability Increases to give me a 20 in 1 Stat and a 16 in the other. Then have 12s or less in the other 4. That honestly really Does not sit well with me... Maybe get Medium Armor (No heavy because of a House rule that has Guns gain Advantage vs Heavy Armor Users)

So can I get some help Playgrounders? Feel free to mix and match anything to help me do the rebuild! Thanks much.

edit- Variant Human is race

Snivlem
2018-01-24, 02:11 AM
Starting at that level, you can always go valor and pick up swift quiver with magical secrets. Profit.

Chugger
2018-01-24, 04:51 AM
Are you really stuck w/ those stats? Would your DM let you use the point system instead - the one in the front of the phb? You can make a perfectly fine character from that - not over the top strong like a lucky set of rolls might give - but one that is perfectly good and gets the job done well.

Snivlem
2018-01-24, 06:32 AM
Are you really stuck w/ those stats? Would your DM let you use the point system instead - the one in the front of the phb? You can make a perfectly fine character from that - not over the top strong like a lucky set of rolls might give - but one that is perfectly good and gets the job done well.

Those stats aren't really worse than what point buy can get you though...

He can do fine with those stats:

Go half elf (for valour - quivers build):

Starting stats:

Str: 10
Dex 16
Con 13:
Int: 11
Wis: 12
Chr: 16

Put 1 ability increases in dex, one for sharp shooter feat and one for resilent (con) (or similar). You can multiclass 2 fighter levels if you want fighting style and action surge (8 attacks once per short rest)

Callin
2018-01-24, 09:15 AM
Race is set in stone. Probably the stats as well, might be able to use his stat array but I cant remember it. Probably would of helped to put it in. Variant Human, I though I had in the OP.

Further edit. I dont want to try to Out Ranger the Ranger and I wont out damage the Barb or Ranger. I know this. I would however like to try to get close LOL.

Callin
2018-01-24, 02:22 PM
Ok got the Array. 17 15 14 13 11 9 . So meaning with my bonus, feat, and Stat increases I can finagle a 20, 18, 14, 14 , 11, 9

Derpldorf
2018-01-24, 03:11 PM
What is your DMs stance on letting non elves/half elves use the wizard bladesinger tradition?

Callin
2018-01-24, 03:44 PM
Mostly against it. We talked about it once when it first came out and he said that the EK would fill that role.

Derpldorf
2018-01-24, 06:40 PM
Okay, i can't disagree more if i tried. Eldritch knight is a Fighter that can do magic... sort of, it's meant to be a gish. Bladesinger is an actual literal wizard, with all its wizardly might. It's capable of melee... sort of, but it's actually closer to a mobile artillery battery. They aren't even the same thing. But that's beside the point i guess.

You can turn a Hexblade/Bard into a pretty effective supporter. You get a good suite of offensive and defensive abilities, a nice selection of skills and spells(I know you said you didn't really want another skill monkey but you can fill a wide range of roles with the right selection), and a pretty sweet smite ability to burts down someone when things get too hairy.

MintyNinja
2018-01-24, 06:51 PM
Story wise, why not go Lorebard with a bit of Rogue (Swash). You fell through the portal and you came back with forbidden knowledge. You'll have great Expertise, some midline combative features, and a world of spells to change the world with.

ProsecutorGodot
2018-01-24, 09:51 PM
Bard (Lore) X/Hexblade 2 Take Resilient Con as your racial feat

Assuming that the second stat array is the one you have now:
STR 9
DEX 14
CON 16
INT 11
WIS 14
CHA 18

VHuman: +1 wis/+1 cha, Res:Con
Wear Medium Armor and a shield since Hexblade gives you proficiency, max Cha with one ASI and take Warcaster with another, third ASI is your choice.

Lore Bard gives you ridiculous amounts of utility through Magical Secrets and taking 2 levels of Warlock gives you Hexblade and Agonizing Blast and a second invocation choice, perhaps beguiling influence which would let you choose some more obscure skills from your 6 Bard choices.

You would have a very effective ranged move in Agonizing Eldritch Blast, decent melee ability for a caster class thanks to hex warrior and up to 18AC with breastplate and a shield or 19 with half plate if you don't care about stealth penalty.

Callin
2018-01-25, 03:13 PM
Thats pretty close to what I was looking at. Thanks!