PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Building an ideal guardian

Grendelkhan11
2018-01-23, 08:42 PM
It's a long story but I'm building a gargoyle character to be the bodyguard of another character. We're using a modified version of the race, basically we removed the race levels and the saves with it and lowered the level adjustment to +1. I was debating between Gargoyle (could be cool to use my wings to provide cover?) or Kapoacinth (rescue from drowning and whatnot). Either way, I'm going for a big, lumbering monster to protect someone. I've chosen to start as a barbarian because I like the rage ability. I also plan on taking improved natural weapon as a feat (unless someone has a better idea) I'm just wondering if you guys have any advice for building something scary. Basically: if you had a big monster to protect you, what would you want it to have? I'm open to suggestions for cool signature weapon or feats or better classes even.

Snowbluff
2018-01-23, 09:23 PM
Crusader can get you thicket of blades for more AoO. Combat Reflexes, Stand Still, and a Spiked Chain will keep enemies from getting close.

EDIT: Oh, if you're big, maybe those monster feats to knock people back.

Goaty14
2018-01-24, 02:17 PM
EDIT: Oh, if you're big, maybe those monster feats to knock people back.

A warblade dip for some tiger claw stuff allows you to take a similar feat, but without the large preque (get it? large?)

Deadline
2018-01-24, 06:44 PM
Crusader for the various tanky type maneuvers, and the Constant Guardian and Dutiful Guardian feats from Drow of the Underdark. After that, some way to get Shield Other so the bodyguard can take half of their charge's damage.