PDA

View Full Version : Multiclassing Spellcasting

Grear Bylls
2018-01-24, 07:29 AM
Hey all!

So, I have a question about multiclassing and spell casting. I'm leveling up an AL character, and I have a problem. This character is Paladin 4, Divine Soul 2. He's going to take one more DS level. When he reaches that level, he gets third level slots. Under the Spellcasting rules for Sorcerer, it says, you can only learn spells that are "of a level for which you have spell slots. Does that mean I can pick up Fireball because I have the appropriate third level slot?

All help is appreciated!

KillingTime
2018-01-24, 07:40 AM
Nope
You need to be sorcerer 5 before you have access to fireball.
You get 3rd level slots meaning you can upcast any of your spells. But the spells available are as if you were single classed in any of your classes.

LeonBH
2018-01-24, 07:46 AM
The rule is outlined in the multiclassing section of the PHB. Multiclassed characters prepare their spells as though they were a single classed character in each class.

Grear Bylls
2018-01-24, 09:01 AM
Ok. Got it. I was confused, as I had read the rules, it's just the sorcerer said I can learn a spell if I have the slots. I DO have the slots, which is why I was confused. Thank you!

KillingTime
2018-01-24, 09:21 AM
It's a pretty common thing to be confused about.
It popped up in my gaming group recently, and there have been a few discussions on this forum too.

FYI, the relavent rule in the PHB is on p164, column 2, under the heading Spells Known and Prepared.

Grear Bylls
2018-01-24, 09:28 AM
It's a pretty common thing to be confused about.
It popped up in my gaming group recently, and there have been a few discussions on this forum too.

FYI, the relavent rule in the PHB is on p164, column 2, under the heading Spells Known and Prepared.

OHHHH, that's it. I was reading the wrong section of those multiclassing spell rules. I didn't realize it said that you determine your classes spells individually. That actually helps a lot.

I had read through those rules before, I just reread the wrong stuff. Thanks for the clarification!