PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Advice for Minimalist Character Sheet

fikoantunes
2018-01-24, 12:15 PM
I'm trying to create a minimalist character sheet form my players, using the PC illustrations as the core of the sheet. In short, I'm trying to accomplish something similar to this:

http://terrible-speaker.tumblr.com/image/138716808871

But before I delve into Photoshop, I would like an advice from a player's perspective:

Would it be OK, considering how clean the sheet will be, to write down only the skills the PC has proficiency? (or any special modifier, like the Rogue's expertise). Because, you know, when the PC is not proficient the skill just becomes an ability check. Or that would be just too much of "minimalism" to an ordinary player?

Lord Torath
2018-01-24, 12:25 PM
Probably help if you specified which game system this is for, and asked a Mod to move it to the appropriate subforum.

Just click on the little triangle at the bottom left of your post and say where it needs to be moved.

Mastikator
2018-01-24, 12:32 PM
Yes only write down skills/perks/spells the PC has.
Leave space on the other side for extra skills, perks, spells, etc.

Leaving the middle open for a picture is a good idea if some of the players can/want to draw their character. If not just use it for more skills, perks and spells

fikoantunes
2018-01-24, 12:43 PM
Probably help if you specified which game system this is for, and asked a Mod to move it to the appropriate subforum.

Just click on the little triangle at the bottom left of your post and say where it needs to be moved.

Thanks! I've just asked the Mod for that :)

Madfellow
2018-01-25, 08:47 AM
I think this would be a good idea, but know that with the right build a PC can become proficient with all 18 skills. Make sure there's enough room to account for that possibility.

fikoantunes
2018-01-25, 09:09 AM
I think this would be a good idea, but know that with the right build a PC can become proficient with all 18 skills. Make sure there's enough room to account for that possibility.

Wow! I've never though about that possibility.

My group has 3 melee chars, 1 cleric and 2 wizards. There's no rogue and just one of them is multi-classed, so I guess I won't have this problem with a big skill table :)

Garfunion
2018-01-25, 11:22 AM
I'm trying to create a minimalist character sheet form my players, using the PC illustrations as the core of the sheet. In short, I'm trying to accomplish something similar to this:

http://terrible-speaker.tumblr.com/image/138716808871

But before I delve into Photoshop, I would like an advice from a player's perspective:

Would it be OK, considering how clean the sheet will be, to write down only the skills the PC has proficiency? (or any special modifier, like the Rogue's expertise). Because, you know, when the PC is not proficient the skill just becomes an ability check. Or that would be just too much of "minimalism" to an ordinary player?

When you do finish your minimalist character sheet please posted. I would like to see it.

XmonkTad
2018-01-25, 02:47 PM
I'd also love to see the finished product if you'd like to post it. I think the sheet is good, but with spellcasters you're going to want more room for spell(book) management. But the sheet posted does a good job letting the player see what proficiencies they have at a glance. I don't like how "languages" are stuffed in the same box as tool proficiencies, but if you're really trying to save space I guess it works. How about feats though?

Puh Laden
2018-01-25, 03:03 PM
I usually write mine on a blank piece of paper so I have some experience with minimalist design. I usually put my proficiencies in a box (for saving throws, I just circle the ability score names). I also include a section for carrying capacity and exhaustion levels (why the default sheet doesn't I have no idea). I also generally layout the ability scores horizontally -- leaving room for racial traits, class features, and feats for the entire bottom half of the paper (minus inventory).

If you're going to use an illustration as part of the sheet, I would recommend putting it in a corner and/or biting the bullet and using two sheets unless your players are at low enough level / experienced enough that you don't need the room for the traits and features.

For spells, if I'm a "spells known" caster, I use the default sheet. If I'm a "prepare from spell list" caster I use spell cards. If I'm a wizard, I make my own spell book by folding pieces of paper into quarters, cutting the connections between pages on the top and bottom and stapling them together. I even do a drawing for the book's cover.

Arkhios
2018-01-25, 04:16 PM
One thing you could try is to remove skills altogether and keep using simple ability checks.

DMG has guidelines how this could work.

Along with that, I think you could alter the basic stats so that the sheet only needs to show the modifier for each stat. This would, however, require you to let your players use Standard Array -equivalent bonuses, only.

Racial modifiers could be changed so that a +2 in stat can increase a modifier up to +4, while +1 in stat can only increase a modifier up to +3.

Feats that grant a +1 bonus to a score won't increase the modifier, but can remain otherwise unchanged.
Feats that gave no bonuses remain as they are.

ASI can only increase one modifier by 1, up to +5.

fikoantunes
2018-01-26, 01:48 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm eager to make this sheet and post here in the forums. Maybe I'll have it in the next days... Stay tuned! :)

fikoantunes
2018-01-28, 02:45 PM
Voilá! I've finished my first test for a minimalist character sheet (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?549514-Minimalist-Character-Sheet-Test&p=22793376#post22793376).