PDA

View Full Version : Help, TWF Question

Ceridan
2007-08-25, 09:42 PM
I know that you reduce your strength bonus by half for your off hand weapon, but what about the Swashbuckler's Insightful Strike ability, or the Shadow Blade Feat from ToB? Are these bonuses halved for an off hand weapon?

Douglas
2007-08-25, 09:44 PM
Unless they specifically say so, no they are not.

AslanCross
2007-08-25, 10:08 PM
Pretty sure that they don't get reduced. The offhand Strength penalty represents your non-favored hand being weaker than your favored hand. Since insightful strike is based more on your ability to find weak points, I don't think a weapon in your offhand would get less benefit from that.

Matthew
2007-08-26, 02:09 PM
Not quite, since you can choose from Round to Round which is your Off Hand in 3.5 (at least, according to the Rules of the Game Articles). So, it has become an even less useful rule. I see no problem just dumping it.

I_Got_This_Name
2007-08-26, 02:46 PM
Not quite, since you can choose from Round to Round which is your Off Hand in 3.5 (at least, according to the Rules of the Game Articles). So, it has become an even less useful rule. I see no problem just dumping it.

The purpose of the rule is to make sure than TWF and THF get the same strength bonus, so if you dump the half-bonus-for-offhand rule, you should change THF to double bonus.

Also, it could simulate not so much one arm being weaker, as the PC having to choose which hand to put their full body behind.

Matthew
2007-08-26, 03:00 PM
Yes, I know. In Saga you do get Double Strength Bonus to Damage for a Two Handed Weapon and I would certainly advocate that.

It can be explained away by any number of means, but, in my opinion, the fact remains that it's always been more of a hindrance to the game than a help and should be dropped at the earliest convenience.

Pironious
2007-08-26, 04:40 PM
I know there's at least one feat to give you full bonus to your offhand, but it's a setting specific feat.

Specifically, Hand of Osano-Wo, a mantis clan feat in Rokugan.