PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Vetting Randos

Tanuki Tales
2018-01-24, 01:16 PM
So, unfortunately the tried and true method of relying on the people you know/trust failed me when trying to put together a Rise of the Runelords game I wanted to run. I already put work into detailing out/making notes for two chapters of the adventure path and I don't want that to go to waste. Equally unfortunately, this means I will have to recruit new blood, which is always how gaming horror stories begin.

How do you sufficiently weed out applicants to give your game the best chance of not being torpedoed on account of a creeper/troll/metagamer/etc.?

Red Fel
2018-01-24, 01:29 PM
I find one of the most telling things to do is to ask somebody about the last gaming table. Then just let them go, and listen.

If somebody talks about hanging out with friends, great story arcs, getting along and having fun, that's golden. That's a person who's there to enjoy the experience. If somebody talks primarily about himself and his awesome character, that's tricky - this may be a socially awkward or self-focused person, which isn't a bad thing, or it may be a very self-focused and self-promoting person, which can be. This song ain't about you, friend. If somebody talks primarily about how "those losers" didn't understand the basics of the game, or rants about past DMs or players, that's toxic - that's an easy pass. And there's also the possibility that this person is a smooth chameleon or compulsive liar, saying the "right things" while actually being pond scum, but that's going to be a challenge to filter out in any event.

But generally, yeah, the "ask about exes" question is a pretty solid indicator, right out of the gate.

Darth Ultron
2018-01-24, 09:09 PM
This can always be tricky. And it's time consuming, but it's more then worth it.

It's worth it to trust your gut...if you don't like the person at your first meeting, it's a good sign they won't make it long term.

You want to talk to the person and get to know them, and ask lots of questions. And don't just listen to the answers, but how they answer the questions.

Asking what kinds of movies and TV shows and books they like is a good step. You want people that like what you like. Even more so as your gaming style has elements common to the shows you like. And even just what they pick as an example of what they like is telling. For example, if someone says they love the Dr. Phil show and never misses an episode...

Asking about their previous games and what they were like. And again, it's not just what they say, but how they say it...and what they choose to say. Like if they just list off ''wow, in my last game we killed X monsters'', you can see they are all about combat.

After a couple of times you should be able to make a profile of the gamer you want.

Tanuki Tales
2018-01-26, 07:13 PM
Any other advice?

Elder_Basilisk
2018-01-26, 07:48 PM
Another possibility is to run a one shot/pick up game or a PFS game or something similar and to invite the people who seem compatible with your play. It's a little like sports scouts looking over minor league players.

NomGarret
2018-01-26, 08:16 PM
I recommend laying down a bigger set of explicit ground rules than you would in a group of friends. One I often use is “Only play your own gender (identity)”. Remember that not only do you not know them, they don’t know each other, so it’ll take time to build that comfort and trust. Within my normal friend group we all trust that we can play different genders in a respectful way, but it took time to get there. Be up front that you’ll be doing this sort of thing and gauge their response.

When asking about previous games, one thing to try and draw out is how much houseruling they’re used to. Have they only played with one very fast and loose GM? Nothing wrong with that but it can be a big culture shock if you’re not and that’s just how they think the game works.

Jiece18
2018-01-26, 08:31 PM
Another possibility is to run a one shot/pick up game or a PFS game or something similar and to invite the people who seem compatible with your play. It's a little like sports scouts looking over minor league players.

This is a great idea. I usually do one of these before starting a full campaign so my regular players can test out their builds and to see if the new players mesh well with the others. It also helps you see if there are going to be any problem builds that will throw off the balance.

Also, make sure you set out any ground rules before official play. No two DMs run their games the same way and I have lost track of how many times I have heard some version of, "My last DM let me do this?" If you have house rules, put them to paper so there can be no argument on what is and isn't aloud. This usually will weed out a good number of trouble players with the one shot game identifying most of the rest.

ksbsnowowl
2018-01-28, 03:42 AM
Meet the player in a neutral location to feel them out before officially offering them a spot at your table.

I usually do this by meeting them at a coffee house, and chatting over coffee or tea. I usually just tell them about myself (where I went to college, met my wife, and what I do for a living), and my experience with D&D (started w/ 2e in the late 90's while working at a summer camp, started playing 3e in college, etc.), then ask them about themselves.

You get a feel for them as a person, you get a bit of a feel of their previous D&D game experience (and might get red flags if you know what to listen for, as others have suggested). Eventually the conversation turns to the campaign I'm running, and what they can expect, guidelines for character creation, etc.

Only once has this method failed me (the guy had never played D&D and wanted to try it for the first time; he ghosted after two sessions), and the one time I didn't do it (I caved to his insistence to just show up to the next game) I instantly regretted it. The eight other times I've done it I ended with guys that have become friends that I now hang out with for other activities, too (and one that I still visit when I travel to his area, several states away). Heck, I was invited to the wedding for one guy, and I'm planning to have all the current nearby players over for a housewarming/baby shower party next month.

Grek
2018-01-28, 04:50 AM
Extensively discuss campaign and character expectations prior to starting the campaign. If you can't come to an agreement, or they start saying things that weird you out, bail.

Florian
2018-01-28, 06:58 AM
Any other advice?

I basically recruit non-gamers as that avoids many of the pitfalls.

Meet up with potential players for a beer and let them talk about their prior experience. Be precise in formulating how you want the game to work and don´t shy away from putting that on the table. Plan to have a "Session zero" and simply talk about the expectations of all participants. Talk is cheap and stuff like "I know how to play D&D" is pretty ,meaningless, so having a light-hearted debate is actually not the worst thing at that point. Lastly, plan for losses. When prepping a game for four people, I invite six, because attrition happens.