PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Let's abuse Accursed Specter

Oramac
2018-01-24, 01:49 PM
Introduced as part of the Hexblade in Xanathar's Guide, Accursed Specter reads thusly

Starting at 6th level, you can curse the soul of a person you slay, temporarily binding it to your service. When you slay a humanoid, you can cause its Spirit to rise from its corpse as a specter, the statistics for which are in the Monster Manual. When the specter appears, it gains temporary hit points equal to half your warlock level. Roll initiative for the specter, which has its own turns. It obeys your verbal commands, and it gains a special bonus to its attack rolls equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum of +0).

The specter remains in your service until the end of your next long rest, at which point it vanishes to the afterlife.

Once you bind a specter with this feature, you can’t use the feature again until you finish a long rest.

Ok. So there's two really interesting things I'm noticing here. Please let me know if I missed something.

1. It never specifies an action needed to raise the Specter. Surely this will end up as DM discretion, but in theory you could raise your specter on the same turn during which you killed it, even if you've already taken your Action/Bonus Action that turn.

2. It never gives a time limit on summoning the specter after killing the creature. Only that you killed the creature. So you could come back years later and pull some poor saps soul away from the afterlife for a day to do your evil bidding.

Any other cool, fun ways to abuse this?

Vaz
2018-01-24, 01:54 PM
It doesn't state an action, but it states exactly when. "When you slay" a humanoid. There is no action stated, because it happens at the same time. In the same point as "When you slay a humanoid", it later says "When the specter appears" - meaning that it gains Temp Hit Points "When it appears", not some to be determined later moment at the cost of an action.

There is no abuse, just wilful misreading.

Dudewithknives
2018-01-24, 02:00 PM
It can move through solid objects, that alone is crazy good.

Move through a door and open the lock on the other side.
Lean into a chest to see what is in it.
Scout out a place much faster than a normal physical person, and no real threat to the group because who is going to think that a floating ghost must be a pet.

It has a very solid to hit with its attack and has good HP for a pet. Combined with resistance to many damage types, a free escape ability, and ok damage means it is a great flanking buddy for a rogue in the group.

It is smart enough you could talk to it and have a conversation about what it knows, and plan advanced tactics.
It could always just use the help action to boost the group as well.

Downside, hard to explain why you have a floating evil ghost with you if you are in public.

Vogie
2018-01-24, 02:10 PM
My question is what would constitute a "slay". Does it require the killing blow? Or that you either had been dealing damage to it at some point in the past? Or actively dealing damage to it within the last turn?

I know Hexblade's Curse and Master of Hexes trigger when the target dies, but the use of "Slay" makes me think something slightly different than just being a part of a takedown.

I'm AFB, but poking around the wiki, I only see "slay" used for the UA Circle of Spores 6th level "fungal infestation", the backstory of the UA Revenant & Oath of Redemption paladin, the Soul Knife Mystic 6th level "consumptive knife", and not much else.

Lord8Ball
2018-01-24, 02:27 PM
Edit: deleted misinterpreted info.
If you want to abuse this the best strategy is to go coffeelock. To start off you'd want to take the nearly useless invocation (aspect of the moon) from Zanathars' guide to Everything and never take a long rest again. Doing this would mean that since you are not finishing a long rest the shade would never be dismissed; however, this leaves you without a way to recover hitpoints without other class means. To counteract this I'd take mage initiate or a level in cleric or druid so that whenever you short rest you have a way to heal. Herbalism proficiency for healing potions is also another viable strategy. You can hide your shade within the shade of your cloths or a bag of holding since it weightless and can occupy the same space.

jollydm
2018-01-24, 02:45 PM
If you want to abuse the hell out of this the best strategy is to go coffeelock. To start off you'd want to take the nearly useless invocation (aspect of the moon) from Zanathars' guide to Everything and never take a long rest again. Doing this would mean that since you are not finishing a long rest the shades would never be dismissed; however, this leaves you without a way to recover hitpoints without non class means. To counteract this I'd take mage initiate or a level in cleric or druid so that whenever you short rest you have a way to heal. Herbalism proficiency for healing potions is also another viable strategy. You can hide your army of shades within the shade of your cloths or a bag of holding since they are weightless and can occupy the same space. From there you can use the shades natural abilities to your advantage. Whenever playing a necromancer I usually command some of my minions to listen to the orders of my allies. The party members act as my lieutenants and make the movement of the shades more versatile.

"Once you bind a specter with this feature, you can't
use the feature again until you finish a long rest."

Army of shades? Huh?

Lord8Ball
2018-01-24, 02:53 PM
Oh derp I misread I thought it was both long or short rest. Well time to strike that from the records lol.

Scyrner
2018-01-24, 02:59 PM
I had interpreted "slay" as deal the killing blow to a humanoid. And also, it's important to note that the Specter can't talk to you, but you can talk to it if you share a language, which limits communication a bit.

Oramac
2018-01-24, 03:13 PM
I had interpreted "slay" as deal the killing blow to a humanoid. And also, it's important to note that the Specter can't talk to you, but you can talk to it if you share a language, which limits communication a bit.

Limits, but doesn't prevent.

"Hey specter, stick your head through that chest and see if it's trapped"

*specter looks*

"Is it trapped?"

*specter nods yes or no*

JackPhoenix
2018-01-24, 06:16 PM
The specter obeys your commands, but it's not friendly towards you. That's kind of important, because it hates every living thing, but it propably hates you most of all, for creating it. And unlike undead created through Animate Dead or Create Undead, it can act on its own. It's also smart enough to make long-term plans, or wait for the best opportunity.

Be very, very careful with it.

GlenSmash!
2018-01-24, 06:33 PM
That's kind of important, because it hates every living thing, but it propably hates you most of all, for creating it.

It's like the Angsty Teenager of the undead.

Scyrner
2018-01-24, 06:37 PM
The specter obeys your commands, but it's not friendly towards you. That's kind of important, because it hates every living thing, but it propably hates you most of all, for creating it. And unlike undead created through Animate Dead or Create Undead, it can act on its own. It's also smart enough to make long-term plans, or wait for the best opportunity.

Be very, very careful with it.

I feel like it'd be a pretty crappy move on the part of the DM to make the Specter oppose you every time you spawn one.

GlenSmash!
2018-01-24, 06:45 PM
I feel like it'd be a pretty crappy move on the part of the DM to make the Specter oppose you every time you spawn one.

True, but I think it's be pretty cool to occasionally have the Specter pull a monkeys paw and instead of giving the caster exactly what they want give them the what they want but with a little extra they don't want, or give the caster Literally what they asked for instead of what they really meant.

It would be something I would have fun with for sure.

Note, i also like to give familiars sarcastic voices.

Scyrner
2018-01-24, 06:53 PM
It would be something I would have fun with for sure.

That's a good point, it'd be more fun that way, for sure.

the secret fire
2018-01-24, 07:06 PM

Considering that this is a thread about "abusing" an already-powerful ability given to an already-powerful class, it seems like a little DM abuse of a PC who abuses such strategies is perfectly appropriate.

Scyrner
2018-01-25, 02:32 AM
Considering that this is a thread about "abusing" an already-powerful ability given to an already-powerful class, it seems like a little DM abuse of a PC who abuses such strategies is perfectly appropriate.

That's totally fair. I feel I've derailed the threat slightly, entirely accidentally. Would much rather get back to the more interesting discussion regarding Accursed Specter. On that note, however, I think it might be more constructive to consider best practices for use of the Specter and interesting/powerful things that one could do within the bounds of the ability as stated, as it seems fairly well constructed to avoid hijinks. Then again, that might not be so much the point of this thread.

Malifice
2018-01-25, 02:37 AM
It can move through solid objects, that alone is crazy good.

Move through a door and open the lock on the other side.

Its incorporeal isnt it? On the border ethereal.

How does it open a door?

prototype00
2018-01-25, 02:46 AM

How does it open a door?

I was wondering. Can it decide when to be solid?

Malifice
2018-01-25, 02:53 AM
I was wondering. Can it decide when to be solid?

Its incorporeal. As in 'lacks a corporeal form'.

It cant decide to be solid anymore than I can decide not to be.

ShikomeKidoMi
2018-01-25, 06:52 AM
It can scout the other side of doors, but you still need the party rogue to open them.

Of course, the simplest way to abuse Accursed Specter is to team-up with a DM's guide Oathbreaker paladin. You'd make half of a very effective evil party. A slightly more convoluted route would be to multiclass Oathbreaker paladin/Hexblade.

It's too bad the Necromancer undead enhancing ability requires you to use a Necromancy spell to create them, rather than working on undead you create with any method.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-01-25, 07:11 AM
On the note of coffee lock, MCing into Divine Soul might be best route, grabbing cleric spells for healing, and Cat Nap spell so you can get back warlock slots again(and any other short rest dependent abilities )

Vaz
2018-01-25, 07:14 AM
Its incorporeal. As in 'lacks a corporeal form'.

It cant decide to be solid anymore than I can decide not to be.

If we're going by the rules, then sure it can. It only has Incorporeal Movement which says "it can", not that it has to. There's also the fact that it takes damage while within an Object, which doesn't feel like it can't affect or be affected by the Solid Environment.

Dudewithknives
2018-01-25, 08:53 AM

How does it open a door?

If it was incorporeal it would have immunity to non-magical weapons not resistance.
It can be incorporeal for movement, it still has a physical form, just not a solid body.

Nowhere does it say it cannot interact with the physical world, it just has a 1 str so it is not going to do much.

Maxilian
2018-01-26, 09:26 AM
A kobold that have the effect of Reduce on themselves could use the specter as a mount (same for Gnomes and Halfling)

Zene
2018-01-26, 05:44 PM
A kobold that have the effect of Reduce on themselves could use the specter as a mount (same for Gnomes and Halfling)

Size Medium, so any small race could use then as a mount (as long as the DM decides it has “appropriate anatomy” to be a mount, per the PHB).

ShikomeKidoMi
2018-01-27, 01:31 AM
If we're going by the rules, then sure it can. It only has Incorporeal Movement which says "it can", not that it has to. There's also the fact that it takes damage while within an Object, which doesn't feel like it can't affect or be affected by the Solid Environment.

Of course it says "it can" not "it has to" because if it said "it has to move through solid objects" the spectre would be incapable of moving through empty air. That's not proof that it can interact with solid objects.

RazorChain
2018-01-27, 04:05 AM
FINALLY! Now we have a reason to drag a halflings along and spare evil orc babies. Then we can sacrifice them when we need a pet spectre.

Vaz
2018-01-27, 04:16 AM
Of course it says "it can" not "it has to" because if it said "it has to move through solid objects" the spectre would be incapable of moving through empty air. That's not proof that it can interact with solid objects.
Your point being that you're still naking stuff up that isn't in the rules?

Gotcha.

ShikomeKidoMi
2018-01-27, 05:23 AM
Your point being that you're still naking stuff up that isn't in the rules? Gotcha.

No, my point being that the part of incorporeal movement you quoted doesn't say what you think it does. Now, if you want to make an argument based on something else, like no part of the spectre entry saying it can't use objects, go ahead.

makadus
2018-06-04, 12:31 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, the Accursed Specter makes a horrible scout; as a specter can not speak. I guess it can play limited charades as it has an Int of 10.

Seems very limited, you might get a head count and a yes/no in a nod/shake head type manner as an answer to basic questions. Also Sunlight Sensitivity giving disadvantage on perception rolls seems to further limit it. Though indoors and night time are common environments in adventuring. Mind you it is incorporeal not invisible so anything it scouts will see it, unless it rolls well with its attempt to stealth with a +2 Dex roll.

Coffee lock seems to be giving up a lot for a 22 + up to 10 hit point and armor class 12 incorporeal undead creature, especially as you will get exhaustion levels the more you skip long rests. That is just ridiculous. Rules for exhaustion and long rests in the PHB were clarified in Xanathar's Guide to Everything.

Incorporeal does mean it CAN NOT directly interact with the physical world. The specter is incorporeal. This is supported by several things, it is listed in incorporeal creature lists i.e. the Storm-king adventures. Specific overrules general. Also incorporeal creatures do not have an incorporeal type in the MM, but if you pull a list of the undead ones they each have incorporeal movement and sunlight sensitivity as the markers of such a state. This is further supported by the fact its only attack is the melee spell attack: Life Drain. But mostly common sense.

To me the best use of the Accursed Specter is its immunities/resistances along with flanking and Life Drain. Making it your BFF of flanking. "Welcome to the after life buddy! Now help kill all your old friends!"

As a Hexblade lock you get very little to nothing in the way of useful Area of Effect spells, the notable exception being Hallucinatory Terrain; which does little to help us here. I guess as the specter has fly 50ft., you could create a harassment tactic with the specter moving in and out of range and using Life Drain, though 22 + up to 10 hit points and AoO will make this a short lived tactic. Maybe the immunities can be used in synergy with a spell caster who has better AoE. i.e. an immobilization spell like web or the obvious spell that plays to one of the specter's immunities or resistances..

To be honest WotC did everything in their power to make sure the creature provided for this feature was nothing more than a semi useful flank provider. As Hexblade is a melee lock, here is your super immune/resistant and easy to position flanking pal. BTW they can hit with a +4 + special bonus cha mod, which is sweet for an extra 3d6 that does not consume an player action or spell slot. The secondary ability seems cool to until you remember it has DC 10(ugh!) Con save and a success allows the target to ignore the HP maximum reduction.

Specter says, "Your welcome?" Add Hold Person/Monster for bashing fun... ? Possibly. Lastly you could try and find synergy with the Hex spell and give them disadvantage to Con saves.... no wait that only applies to ability checks..... If I could change one thing is would be the Hex spell to effect saves as it is warlock only.

IMO this is a joke of a feature in comparison to what it was in UA... it feels watered down from something that added utility to something that adds damage... straddled with a limited attack economy/efficiency creature (CR 1) which is almost useless at the CR appropriate for a 6th or Higher lock and/or their party. It has to go through a double dice roll to achieve any real effect (needs to hit & target fail save). This is all to deal 3d6 damage, which I admit is cool to a degree because it comes spell slot and action free, and possibly (most likely not) reduce their HP max... what a waste of potential in a 6th level class feature. It feels like post UA Shadow Hound, which gave you a decent ability to track and remove cover, WotC could not find a way to properly balance the feature so the just nerfed it to a flank and damage mechanic.

JackPhoenix
2018-06-04, 02:14 PM
Snip

The Con save is for the max HP reduction rider, not for the damage itself.

makadus
2018-06-04, 02:56 PM
The Con save is for the max HP reduction rider, not for the damage itself.

Yeah, I caught that and corrected. Thanks :)

AvvyR
2018-06-04, 03:07 PM
Of course, the simplest way to abuse Accursed Specter is to team-up with a DM's guide Oathbreaker paladin. You'd make half of a very effective evil party. A slightly more convoluted route would be to multiclass Oathbreaker paladin/Hexblade.

It's too bad the Necromancer undead enhancing ability requires you to use a Necromancy spell to create them, rather than working on undead you create with any method.I heard Oathbreaker, Hexblade, Necromancer, and UA's Spore Druid make a terrifying evil party.

makadus
2018-06-04, 03:19 PM
I heard Oathbreaker, Hexblade, Necromancer, and UA's Spore Druid make a terrifying evil party.

I will have to take a look as the UA Spore Druid. I have not read it.

Necromancer has always been a favorite of mine. DM's Guild has a nice dread necromancer home-brew for cheap that I have yet to use. I'd love to see Dread Necromancer in an official capacity. Would be cool if that could effect the undead as a type rather than as a result of a self-originating necromancy spell.

MaxWilson
2018-06-04, 03:29 PM
Edit: deleted misinterpreted info.
If you want to abuse this the best strategy is to go coffeelock. To start off you'd want to take the nearly useless invocation (aspect of the moon) from Zanathars' guide to Everything and never take a long rest again. Doing this would mean that since you are not finishing a long rest the shade would never be dismissed; however, this leaves you without a way to recover hitpoints without other class means. To counteract this I'd take mage initiate or a level in cleric or druid so that whenever you short rest you have a way to heal. Herbalism proficiency for healing potions is also another viable strategy. You can hide your shade within the shade of your cloths or a bag of holding since it weightless and can occupy the same space.

When you start picking up 6th-9th level spells you will wind up taking a rest to get your Mass Suggestion/True Polymorph/etc. back.

AvvyR
2018-06-04, 03:46 PM
Re: Coffeelock, it's worth pointing out that Aspect of the Moon requires Pact of the Tome.

makadus
2018-06-04, 03:47 PM
When you start picking up 6th-9th level spells you will wind up taking a rest to get your Mass Suggestion/True Polymorph/etc. back.

This comment reminded me, doesn't lock get access to summon greater demon at 4th which lets you bring in a CR 5 or lower demon and create undead as a 6th level spell Mystic Arcanum which gives you 2 CR 1 ghouls.

Just thinking from the aspect of those who wanted to have a creature horde type Hexblade. Sorry do not have my books in front of me.

Vogie
2018-06-04, 09:56 PM
Re: Coffeelock, it's worth pointing out that Aspect of the Moon requires Pact of the Tome.

Aspect of the Moon isn't the only way to avoid having to sleep. Undying Warlocks get that ability at 10 regardless of Pact boon, and I'm certain there's a race that allows you to forgo sleep in some capacity.

AvvyR
2018-06-04, 10:02 PM
Aspect of the Moon isn't the only way to avoid having to sleep. Undying Warlocks get that ability at 10 regardless of Pact boon, and I'm certain there's a race that allows you to forgo sleep in some capacity. Well, if you're Undying, you're obviously not Hexblade, and not going to be getting Accursed Specter.

Yes, elves don't sleep either, but I was directly responding to an earlier post re: coffeelock that mentioned taking Aspect of the Moon.

Nettlekid
2018-06-04, 10:47 PM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that in the MM details of the Specter it mentions that a Specter never receives a final rest - it only ever wanders the Material Plane or has its soul destroyed. Arguably the line in Xanathar's Guide about the Specter moving to the afterlife overrides that, but if your DM sticks to the MM then you can use Accursed Specter to destroy souls and stop anyone from Raising your victims.

Zanathars' guide to Everything

How could you possibly have only ever heard the word spoken, and never seen it written?

sambojin
2018-06-04, 11:35 PM
It's the standard thing of 5e. What happens when something inside something turns into a T-rex? Because spectres can do this. Sure, they take an extra d10 damage for doing so, and you need someone to do the polymorphing, but whatever. At least your poly-thingy is definitely allowed to be phased into something else, RAW (even with effects stated because you're certainly going to try some whacky incorporeal stuff eventually. In this case it's +d10 damage to the spectre, on top of whatever the DM decides).

Although, since Incorporeal Movement is a *can* statement, and the creature certainly has a 1 strength score (instead of an asterix and a note or something), it might be considered with a broad reading of the rules that it can, in fact, apply 15lbs of force to things. Which is horrifying. It could be inside your head when it does it!

prototype00
2018-06-05, 01:11 AM
I just had an Ouija board written up and asked it to point.

JackPhoenix
2018-06-05, 07:41 AM
How could you possibly have only ever heard the word spoken, and never seen it written?

Well, z is also right next to x on keyboards, so...

Maxilian
2018-06-05, 01:48 PM
Size Medium, so any small race could use then as a mount (as long as the DM decides it has “appropriate anatomy” to be a mount, per the PHB).

Have only 1 STR, reason why i said you would need to reduce the size of the kobold.

I wonder, is Coffee-lock AL legal? cause as far as i know, the optional rule in Xanathar (including the one that require you to take long rest) is not AL legal (the same with most optional rules).

Also for future reference, if you are using Xanathar optional rule, you can't evade the Exhaustion points even if you have the invocation that let you go without sleep, cause the rule requires you to take Long rest (even if you don't sleep in them) to evade the exhaustion penalty.

JoeJ
2018-06-06, 03:32 AM
It's the standard thing of 5e. What happens when something inside something turns into a T-rex? Because spectres can do this. Sure, they take an extra d10 damage for doing so, and you need someone to do the polymorphing, but whatever. At least your poly-thingy is definitely allowed to be phased into something else, RAW (even with effects stated because you're certainly going to try some whacky incorporeal stuff eventually. In this case it's +d10 damage to the spectre, on top of whatever the DM decides).

You can't polymorph a CR 1 creature into a CR 8 creature. You also can't polymorph any creature unless you can see it, and if it's inside another creature you probably can't. Finally, the specter gets a saving throw, although it's chances of succeeding are not great.

KorvinStarmast
2018-06-06, 08:00 AM
Another version of Specter Abuse is here (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/q/123579/22566), but it hinges upon whether or not a specter can open a door, or not.

1. With the willing participation of another party member, hexblade slays the party member.
2. Cause their spirit to rise as a specter.
3. Specter floaths through a wall and unlocks a door.
4. Cleric casts revivify on party member within a minute.
(A different way to pull a jail break scene)

Full description of Incorporeal Movement is as follows (From the SRD):

The specter can move through other creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain. It takes 5 (1d10) force damage if it ends its turn inside an object. That seems to imply a physical interaction with mundane objects ...

Zene
2018-06-06, 12:48 PM
I wonder, is Coffee-lock AL legal? cause as far as i know, the optional rule in Xanathar (including the one that require you to take long rest) is not AL legal (the same with most optional rules).

Also for future reference, if you are using Xanathar optional rule, you can't evade the Exhaustion points even if you have the invocation that let you go without sleep, cause the rule requires you to take Long rest (even if you don't sleep in them) to evade the exhaustion penalty.

Coffeelock is AL legal.

The optional rules in XGE have been ruled as optional for AL play, at the DM's discretion. (http://dndadventurersleague.org/xanathars-guide-to-everything/)

You are 100% correct on the Exhaustion; Aspect of the Moon doesn't help (both per strict RAW, and per confirmation by JC). However, if you go Divine Soul for the sorc part of the build, in addition to the con save prof that all sorcs get, you also get +2d4 to a save every short rest, that can help stave off the exhaustion for longer; and you can pick up Greater Restoration, and can cast it every short rest if needed once you get to a high enough level.

Another version of Specter Abuse is here (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/q/123579/22566), but it hinges upon whether or not a specter can open a door, or not.

1. With the willing participation of another party member, hexblade slays the party member.

That seems to imply a physical interaction with mundane objects ...

Neat trick, but I wouldn't call it abuse. It uses up a L6 long-rest ability (Accursed Specter) and a Revivify; and leaves your friend at 1hp (so uses up healing as well). I'd say that's a fair trade for escaping a cell (or whatever).

Correct me if I am wrong, the Accursed Specter makes a horrible scout; as a specter can not speak. I guess it can play limited charades as it has an Int of 10.

Seems very limited, you might get a head count and a yes/no in a nod/shake head type manner as an answer to basic questions. Also Sunlight Sensitivity giving disadvantage on perception rolls seems to further limit it. Though indoors and night time are common environments in adventuring. Mind you it is incorporeal not invisible so anything it scouts will see it, unless it rolls well with its attempt to stealth with a +2 Dex roll.

Coffee lock seems to be giving up a lot for a 22 + up to 10 hit point and armor class 12 incorporeal undead creature, especially as you will get exhaustion levels the more you skip long rests. That is just ridiculous. Rules for exhaustion and long rests in the PHB were clarified in Xanathar's Guide to Everything.

Incorporeal does mean it CAN NOT directly interact with the physical world. The specter is incorporeal. This is supported by several things, it is listed in incorporeal creature lists i.e. the Storm-king adventures. Specific overrules general. Also incorporeal creatures do not have an incorporeal type in the MM, but if you pull a list of the undead ones they each have incorporeal movement and sunlight sensitivity as the markers of such a state. This is further supported by the fact its only attack is the melee spell attack: Life Drain. But mostly common sense.

To me the best use of the Accursed Specter is its immunities/resistances along with flanking and Life Drain. Making it your BFF of flanking. "Welcome to the after life buddy! Now help kill all your old friends!"

As a Hexblade lock you get very little to nothing in the way of useful Area of Effect spells, the notable exception being Hallucinatory Terrain; which does little to help us here. I guess as the specter has fly 50ft., you could create a harassment tactic with the specter moving in and out of range and using Life Drain, though 22 + up to 10 hit points and AoO will make this a short lived tactic. Maybe the immunities can be used in synergy with a spell caster who has better AoE. i.e. an immobilization spell like web or the obvious spell that plays to one of the specter's immunities or resistances..

To be honest WotC did everything in their power to make sure the creature provided for this feature was nothing more than a semi useful flank provider. As Hexblade is a melee lock, here is your super immune/resistant and easy to position flanking pal. BTW they can hit with a +4 + special bonus cha mod, which is sweet for an extra 3d6 that does not consume an player action or spell slot. The secondary ability seems cool to until you remember it has DC 10(ugh!) Con save and a success allows the target to ignore the HP maximum reduction.

Specter says, "Your welcome?" Add Hold Person/Monster for bashing fun... ? Possibly. Lastly you could try and find synergy with the Hex spell and give them disadvantage to Con saves.... no wait that only applies to ability checks..... If I could change one thing is would be the Hex spell to effect saves as it is warlock only.

IMO this is a joke of a feature in comparison to what it was in UA... it feels watered down from something that added utility to something that adds damage... straddled with a limited attack economy/efficiency creature (CR 1) which is almost useless at the CR appropriate for a 6th or Higher lock and/or their party. It has to go through a double dice roll to achieve any real effect (needs to hit & target fail save). This is all to deal 3d6 damage, which I admit is cool to a degree because it comes spell slot and action free, and possibly (most likely not) reduce their HP max... what a waste of potential in a 6th level class feature. It feels like post UA Shadow Hound, which gave you a decent ability to track and remove cover, WotC could not find a way to properly balance the feature so the just nerfed it to a flank and damage mechanic.

Mostly good points. On the whole I agree with you--it's a pretty weak feature. Still fun and flavorful, though; and the Hexblade's other features more than make up for a weak L6 feature.

I don't think your case for incorporeal meaning completely unable to interact with objects is solid. Per RAW wording, it "can". DM could very reasonably rule otherwise though, as you said, per logic. If they do stick to RAW, though, you could use a notepad or a Ouija board for it to communicate; still a bit of an awkward scout.

As for coffeelock and exhaustion, it's not an insurmountable hurdle RAW as I pointed out above. As with all things, DMs can override if they don't think it's reasonable.

JackPhoenix
2018-06-06, 01:04 PM

That seems to imply a physical interaction with mundane objects ...

Been there, done that, sort of. It was how to get into certain dungeons (well, Scholomance) in WoW without keys: one player dies next to the door, walks through the door as a ghost, revives on the other side, uses the lever behind the door to open it without the key.

JoeJ
2018-06-06, 01:07 PM
Neat trick, but I wouldn't call it abuse. It uses up a L6 long-rest ability (Accursed Specter) and a Revivify; and leaves your friend at 1hp (so uses up healing as well). I'd say that's a fair trade for escaping a cell (or whatever).

Given the cost, I definitely agree this is not abusing anything. I would strongly recommend, however, that the PCs try to find out first whether or not the lock requires a key, and if so, where that key is.

Arial Black
2018-06-06, 05:51 PM
Not a powerful feature, and at first I couldn't think of a way to make sense of it.

Then it hit me: a valkyrie! A Chooser of the Slain!

Build the concept around the Chooser of the Slain idea, rather than the weak mechanic of Accursed Spectre. I'm thinking a multi-class vengeance paladin/hexblade blade pact warlock.

When I picture valkyries galloping through the sky, I can recreate this with find steed (with the fluff that out of the corner of your eye it seems like the galloping warhorse has eight legs, like Odin's horse Sleipnir, but when you look straight on it just has four) and when you cast fly on yourself it also affects your steed.

Accursed Spectre comes in when I 'choose the slain' (I chose to slay him, after all!) and can choose to send his soul either to Valhalla or to Hel, depending on how well the spirit serves me for the hours it has before I finish my next long rest.

This will be my next PC, gods willing. :smallsmile: