PDA

View Full Version : I'm Planning To Play A Male Lesser Drow Fighter/Rogue Gestalts

Bartmanhomer
2018-01-24, 06:15 PM
Hey everybody. It's me again. I'm planning to play a Neutral Good Male Lesser Drow Fighter/Rogue Gestalts named Stan Club and before anyone ask yes he got a club actually a greatclub which fits perfectly to him. Here's his character sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1170960 So what do you think of my character? Positive and negative feedbacks are appreciated.

AnimeTheCat
2018-01-24, 07:44 PM
Well, greatclub damage would be 1d10+4 with 17 strength. So probably just accidently missed that.

I've often found that power attack is less useful at level 1, and I tend to pick it up at 3 or 4 when I can make better use of it. If you're picking it up for cleave, just remember you have to use power attack to use cleave.
Weapon focus (greatclub) and power attack at level 1 would be more effective then picking up cleave at 2. But all that's just my opinion in the end.

Bartmanhomer
2018-01-24, 07:47 PM
Well, greatclub damage would be 1d10+4 with 17 strength. So probably just accidently missed that.

I've often found that power attack is less useful at level 1, and I tend to pick it up at 3 or 4 when I can make better use of it. If you're picking it up for cleave, just remember you have to use power attack to use cleave.
Weapon focus (greatclub) and power attack at level 1 would be more effective then picking up cleave at 2. But all that's just my opinion in the end.

Actually that Strength 18 is +4 bonus. Strength 17 is +3 bonus.

TheIronGolem
2018-01-24, 08:10 PM
Actually that Strength 18 is +4 bonus. Strength 17 is +3 bonus.

17 STR is a +3 bonus, but two-handing a weapon adds 1.5 x STR to damage. So +3 becomes +4.

Bartmanhomer
2018-01-24, 08:19 PM
17 STR is a +3 bonus, but two-handing a weapon adds 1.5 x STR to damage. So +3 becomes +4.

Oh I forgot to add 1.5. Thanks.

Malimar
2018-01-24, 08:41 PM
you have to use power attack to use cleave.
Where do you see this?

Remuko
2018-01-24, 08:42 PM

@ bolded wut? you dont have to power attack to cleave. if you have cleave you can cleave whether you use power attack or not.

Mordaedil
2018-01-25, 05:07 AM
I feel like I'm dying at the idea of a drow named Stan.

weckar
2018-01-25, 05:16 AM
Doesn't he have 4 skill points too many? 8 from class, 1 from int? x4? =36? Lesser Drow does not give any, right?

In other news, I would like to join the Stan Club. Stan's Previously Used Clubs...

AnimeTheCat
2018-01-25, 06:41 AM
Where do you see this?

@ bolded wut? you dont have to power attack to cleave. if you have cleave you can cleave whether you use power attack or not.

well butter my biscuits... That's one of my groups houserules. The houserule is that you have to be wielding a weapon that you can power attack with and you must drop the target while using power attack to be able to cleave. Whoops!

Crake
2018-01-25, 08:53 AM
I'm confused, these threads seem to pop up almost weekly these days. Bartmanhomer, do your characters keep dying or something? Or does every game you participate in fall apart after a week?

Bartmanhomer
2018-01-25, 08:57 AM
I'm confused, these threads seem to pop up almost weekly these days. Bartmanhomer, do your characters keep dying or something? Or does every game you participate in fall apart after a week?

I created a character and I participated a game.

weckar
2018-01-25, 10:24 AM

Almost bi-weekly, actually. (That's twice a week, not every two weeks)

But I think the point you're trying to make is that you don't need to make a thread for every character you make to have reviewed.

The Glyphstone
2018-01-25, 10:42 AM

IIRC, he makes characters then looks for games to use them in, rather than making specific characters for specific games.

Bartmanhomer
2018-01-25, 10:44 AM
IIRC, he makes characters then looks for games to use them in, rather than making specific characters for specific games.

Yeah I'm sorry about that.:frown:

Red Fel
2018-01-25, 03:46 PM
To be fair, I've done my share of "help me make a character around this concept" threads. (They've been awesome, look them up. Anybody remember "Collateral Damage Man?")

But yeah, Bartman... If you're just going to post character sheets multiple times a week, maybe consolidate them into one thread? I mean, I've lost track of how many Drow you've done, how many named Club (there was at least one other, Patrick, right?) and so forth. They tend to blur together. So maybe keeping all of them in one place might help, to tone down any confusion.

It might help you, too, y'know. A lot of advice carries from one character build to another, and keeping it all in one place might help you keep it organized for your own reference.

Bartmanhomer
2018-01-25, 03:48 PM
To be fair, I've done my share of "help me make a character around this concept" threads. (They've been awesome, look them up. Anybody remember "Collateral Damage Man?")

But yeah, Bartman... If you're just going to post character sheets multiple times a week, maybe consolidate them into one thread? I mean, I've lost track of how many Drow you've done, how many named Club (there was at least one other, Patrick, right?) and so forth. They tend to blur together. So maybe keeping all of them in one place might help, to tone down any confusion.

It might help you, too, y'know. A lot of advice carries from one character build to another, and keeping it all in one place might help you keep it organized for your own reference.
Ok. That's a great idea. Next time when I making a character I can created all in one thread. If that's ok with the mods and the admins.

Drelua
2018-01-26, 12:13 AM
What's going on with the ability scores, I'm guessing not point buy? Either way, I'd put less focus on dex since you seem to be planning to fight less like a rogue and more like a fighter. I'd switch con and dex, I believe that would give you 16/14 instead of 18/12? Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'm always trying to get more hit points, and you might lose that dex bonus if you wear even medium armor, unless it's mithral. It's good for some skills, but I'm not brave enough to play a frontliner with 12 con.

I might also suggest a more effective weapon, but I feel like you're committed to the club, so I'll leave that alone

Bartmanhomer
2018-01-26, 12:15 AM
What's going on with the ability scores, I'm guessing not point buy? Either way, I'd put less focus on dex since you seem to be planning to fight less like a rogue and more like a fighter. I'd switch con and dex, I believe that would give you 16/14 instead of 18/12? Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'm always trying to get more hit points, and you might lose that dex bonus if you wear even medium armor, unless it's mithral. It's good for some skills, but I'm not brave enough to play a frontliner with 12 con.

I might also suggest a more effective weapon, but I feel like you're committed to the club, so I'll leave that alone
I use dices for my ability scores.

Crake
2018-01-26, 01:25 AM
I use dices for my ability scores.

This is one of the major hurdles I see you coming across. Most DMs, if they use rolled stats, will want to observe the rolls for themselves, but there will be other DMs who don't use rolled stats, and instead use point buy, and if you want to join in any of those, you'd need to re-do your stats all over again.

You honestly might be better off looking for a game that interests you, and then building your character using the character generation rules that that game is using, rather than making a character, and then being limited in terms of game availability. In my experience, it's much harder to find a game you want to play in, rather than building a character you like within the constraints given to you. If I had to pick between being able to play any character I wanted, vs being able to play any game I wanted, i'd rather be limited in my character options every time, because good characters are based on how you play them, you can play a good character with any tools given to you, but good games, you can't make a good game out of a bad one.