PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with making a suitable ability (Curse of Artaith player KEEP OUT)

curious-puzzle
2018-01-24, 10:01 PM
Seriously, you really need to stay out of this one, or I'll light your character sheets on fire.

So one of the major adversaries in my campaign is the Beast, a primordial super-demon/engine of destruction. The beginning of said Beast is a 7-headed Half-farspawn Tarrasque with the feats rejiggered, but that's not the part I need help with. Instead of the half-farspawn spell-like abilities, I want to give the Beast's roar a whole bunch of nasty sonic-related abilities.
The image I have in mind is creatures, buildings, the earth itself being shook and broke apart by the sheer volume of the roar.

So far I was thinking of slapping the following spells together:

Earthquake
Great Thunderclap
Wail of Doom
Shatter

Would it be too much to throw a dispel effect in there as well? Any other suggestions for nasty sonic-related things? This is meant to be a downright apocalyptic fight, so I'll take quite a bit int consideration. Other things I was unsure on was radius (60 ft from the Beast, 80, 120? Just a burst, or the option for a cone?), and how often the beastie should be able to roar.

Any comments/suggestions/ideas would be appreciated!

PrismCat21
2018-01-25, 05:31 PM
Have some effects be 60ft+ burst, other more direct effects a 120ft+ cone.

From Savage Species Monstrous Feats: Use the effects Blowhard and Greater Mighty Roar. Possibly Thunderclap and Dust Cloud.
The effects of the spells Cacophonic Burst and Dissonant Chant would make sense as well.
Definitely shatter some of their potions/supplies chosen at random.

Basically more difficult concentration checks to maintain concentration or just to cast a spell, possible deafness, involuntary panicking with Save based of HD and/or Con. Stunning effect, if they're flying or climbing they instantly fall. *cough*Spiderforged*cough*

Decide what the spell silence will and won't affect.

For the dispelling part, have phantom images or globs of saliva shoot out with each roar that they have to dodge. Targeted dispel on whomever they hit.
If I think of others later on I'll post again.

curious-puzzle
2018-01-29, 10:32 AM
I hadn't even thought to look in Savage species, durr. That checks off most of the boxes of what I was looking for, thanks!

The save DCs will be REALLY high due to the sheer number of HD - should I put any sort of limits on the panicked part like "can only be affected 1/day," or subsequent saves get a scaling bonus as they adjust to the sound?

I'm thinking this should be a standard action for the sheer number of effects, and every 1d4 rounds. Thoughts?

As for Silence, I was leaning towards the Silence being broken, but it preventing the damage and giving a +8 to saves for those who were within the effect.

Save vs panic
Save vs being knocked over (both from windstorm and from thunderclap - two saves or just one higher one?)
Save vs deafened
Automatically blinded by dust for 1 round
High concentration check to cast spells for 1 round
15d6 sonic damage

PrismCat21
2018-01-29, 11:08 AM
I hadn't even thought to look in Savage species, durr. That checks off most of the boxes of what I was looking for, thanks!

The save DCs will be REALLY high due to the sheer number of HD - should I put any sort of limits on the panicked part like "can only be affected 1/day," or subsequent saves get a scaling bonus as they adjust to the sound?

I'm thinking this should be a standard action for the sheer number of effects, and every 1d4 rounds. Thoughts?

As for Silence, I was leaning towards the Silence being broken, but it preventing the damage and giving a +8 to saves for those who were within the effect.

Save vs panic
Save vs being knocked over (both from windstorm and from thunderclap - two saves or just one higher one?)
Save vs deafened
Automatically blinded by dust for 1 round
High concentration check to cast spells for 1 round
15d6 sonic damage

Panicked - Once they make a save, they can't be affected for 2d4 rounds, and are granted a scaling bonus for every time they save against being panicked. (That caps out at some point)

Standard Action every 1d4 rounds seems fine to me

Windstorm and Thunderclap each get a save. If the characters are flying they won't care about Thunderclap, if they've braced themselves on the ground or cliff they can resist Windstorm.
If they're knocked down by Thuderclap, have Windstorm push them back a couple squares or break up a formation.

I wouldn't have Silence prevent the damage, maybe just reduce it to half (no save). I would think the soundwave at least would still affect anything in it's path to some degree.

Silence

Bonus on being panicked
Still knocked over by Windstorm and Thunderclap - two saves, maybe a bonus on thunderclap
avoids being deafened
Still blinded
Bonus on concentration checks to cast
Half damage

I'd also say the roar could have a dispelling effect on Silence or similar effects. The roar is so strong it overpowers the effects of silence, disspellling (shattering) it at the end of it's turn, after the characters have been affected by the roar's reduced effects thanks to Silence.
I misunderstood what you meant at first :), you already said Silence being broken

I still like the spittle idea for anyone really close to the beast. When it roars, they have to dodge globs of spittle/saliva that have a dispelling effect. :Elan:
Or just makes super icky and gross all over. Instant rusting for Warforged?

curious-puzzle
2018-01-29, 04:43 PM
I do like the spittle image as well, but I think that might just be a flavor thing for now.

Here's the wording for now - please feel free to pick apart!
Ruinous bellow (Su)
The 7 maws of the Beast open wide to sing the song that ends the world. This bellow is powerful enough to shatter bones, crumble mountains, and tear at reality itself. Once every 1d4 rounds, the Beast can bellow as a standard action, choosing either a burst or a cone. Every creature within 60 feet of the Beast (for a burst) or within a 120 ft cone (for the targeted cone) is subject to the following effects simultaneously (the save DC is 40 unless noted otherwise):

-The impact of the bellow generates a windstorm that scours the earth, hurling up clouds of dust as well as hapless victims. All affected must make a Fortitude save or be deafened permanently, are subject to Windstorm-level winds (as per the environmental effect, which may require a Fortitude save depending on creature size and location), and another Fortitude save or be knocked prone by the shockwave. If a creature fails against both the windstorm and the shockwave, treat them as one size category smaller than usual. If they would already be counted as Small or smaller before this reduction, double the distance they are blown back.

-The rocks and dust torn up by the bellow forms a thick cloud that remains for 4 rounds (60 ft radius and 60 ft high for the burst, and 120’ wide x 120’ for the cone). Anyone (except for the Beast) caught in the cloud is blinded while within and for 1 round after leaving (no save). Spellcasting is incredibly difficult in the dust cloud, requiring a concentration check of DC 40 for any spell with a vocal or somatic component. The cloud also provides concealment as per the spell fog cloud (blocks vision further than 5 ft, creatures within 5 feet have 20% concealment, further away has total concealment)

-Metal, stone, and flesh alike are shook apart and broken by the ruinous bellow. All creatures and objects within take 15d6 sonic damage (no save)

-If the sight of the Beast is not enough to crush hope, the sound of it is. All creatures within the bellow must make a Will save or be panicked for 2d6 rounds (shaken on a successful save). Once affected by the Beast's bellow, a creature is immune to being panicked or shaken by further bellows for 1 minute after they are no longer panicked or shaken (if they are subjected to another bellow while still under the effects of the previous one, the shaken/panicked effects do not stack)

-Not even magic is immune to the Beast’s titanic roar. If a creature rolls a critical failure (a nat 1) on any of the saving throws against the ruinous bellow, it is subjected to a targeted Greater Dispel magic (+20) as its enchantments are shattered. Any crystalline or glass items are affected as if hit with a shatter spell.

-Magical silence can afford some protection against the bellow, but only some. Any creature within a silence effect that is subject to the bellow takes half of the sonic damage, and receives a +8 on all other saving throws against the bellow. The silence spell is automatically dispelled and torn apart, however.

Internet cookies to anyone who spots the tribute/thievery I threw in there from a certain website :P

PrismCat21
2018-01-29, 05:38 PM
Looks good to me. I'm actually getting worried for them :D

Just one little thing

All creatures within the bellow must make a Will save or be panicked for 2d6 rounds (shaken on a successful save). Once subjected to the Beast’s bellow, a creature is immune for 1 minute.

The intent seems clear, but someone may nitpick about being immune for 1 minute and possibility being panicked for more than a minute.
The immunity from 'further' bellows takes place directly after they're affected right? Not after the panicking ends?

curious-puzzle
2018-01-29, 05:49 PM
I was actually thinking it would start after the previous shaken/panic ended. Or do you think it's better to have it start immediately, and just some of the time you might have bad luck?

"Once affected by the Beast's bellow, a creature is immune to further bellows for 1 minute after they are no longer panicked or shaken (if they are subjected to another bellow while still under the effects of the previous one, the effects do not stack)"

PrismCat21
2018-01-29, 07:32 PM
Immune to all the effects or just the Panic/Shaken part?
I thought you meant immune to everything, if it's immune to further panic for a minute after it ends, it makes perfect sense.
Just by the other battles and that this is basically 'THE' Monster, I expect the encounter to last awhile.

curious-puzzle
2018-01-29, 07:37 PM
Clarified that it's just the shaken/panicked that can't stack.

PrismCat21
2018-01-29, 07:58 PM
Clarified that it's just the shaken/panicked that can't stack.

Sweetness. That makes much more sense than what I was thinking it said :)