PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice - Very Unusual Item Creation.

kdoske
2018-01-24, 10:09 PM
I'm in a semi-dark champagne and the character I have created is a hot mess. I have just been given a super powerful but dangerous weapon (DM Custom made the item). I feel like the weapon will make my character crazy and uncontrollable in the future which could be a danger to my party. With that in mind, while he still has his sanity, I'm trying to create is a tiny object that creates a small explosion/shock when a particular 3 or 4 word phrase is spoken. Is there anything that already exist that can be combined to create something similar to this? I essentially want to have the small object implanted in the base of my skull and give each member in my group one word from the activation phrase. This way if I become a danger to everyone they can decide as a group to end my life without fear that I will kill them as they try to put me out of my misery.

Obviously, it doesn't need to be exactly this, but I think it would be very cool if it could be. At the least, I'm just looking for an object that could kill me with no possibility of me fighting back at the decision of my entire party.

For a second I thought Glyph of Warding would work but then I realized that I would not be able to move more than 10 feet without the item becoming inert.

Lawful Good
2018-01-24, 10:15 PM
As far as I know, theres no way to accomplish this without homebrew.
You could just have a literal magical shock collar:D

Alternatively, you could have an item that casts charm person and give it to each of your companions. You cant attack someone who is charming you.

EDIT: If you really want to be cheesy, you CAN use glyph of warding. Just use the surface option on a wall, then chisel it out in a marble sized piece. Have the trigger be something like a word one of your allies says, but only when they willingly say it without being magically coerced.
Or just go with the magic shock collar:smalltongue:

Unoriginal
2018-01-25, 07:06 AM
You could do that with a homebrewed magic item.

Though IMO I would just ditch the weapon and make sure no one can use it ever again.

The thing with those "power at a price" cursed weapons is that the price is almost never worth it, no matter how good the weapon is.

As it was said:

https://youtu.be/S0n2vurSBIQ

bc56
2018-01-25, 02:27 PM
You could do that with a homebrewed magic item.

Though IMO I would just ditch the weapon and make sure no one can use it ever again.

The thing with those "power at a price" cursed weapons is that the price is almost never worth it, no matter how good the weapon is.

Yeah, unoriginal's right. You don't want to pay the price of your sanity in exchange for a cool magic sword.

But glyph of warding doesn't work. If you put the glyph on an object, you can't move it more than 10ft from where you cast the spell, or it will dispel itself.

the_brazenburn
2018-01-25, 02:38 PM
I'm in a semi-dark champagne and the character I have created is a hot mess. I have just been given a super powerful but dangerous weapon (DM Custom made the item). I feel like the weapon will make my character crazy and uncontrollable in the future which could be a danger to my party. With that in mind, while he still has his sanity, I'm trying to create is a tiny object that creates a small explosion/shock when a particular 3 or 4 word phrase is spoken. Is there anything that already exist that can be combined to create something similar to this? I essentially want to have the small object implanted in the base of my skull and give each member in my group one word from the activation phrase. This way if I become a danger to everyone they can decide as a group to end my life without fear that I will kill them as they try to put me out of my misery.

Obviously, it doesn't need to be exactly this, but I think it would be very cool if it could be. At the least, I'm just looking for an object that could kill me with no possibility of me fighting back at the decision of my entire party.

For a second I thought Glyph of Warding would work but then I realized that I would not be able to move more than 10 feet without the item becoming inert.

I believe that champagne, by its definition, is a white wine. If your champagne is dark, or semi-dark, you should talk to your local wine dealer about its quality, and perhaps consider purchasing a fresh bottle.

RazorChain
2018-01-25, 02:42 PM

Yeah, unoriginal's right. You don't want to pay the price of your sanity in exchange for a cool magic sword.

Don't listen to these guys, power for a price is a very old trope that will be used again and again. They are concerned more with cost/benefits (powerplay) instead of the fun of it

If I was your DM I would just facilitate it so that you would get what you ask for.

Now just by what you wrote about your DM is that HE might be a bastard DM, maybe even from the John Wick's school of play dirty.

And you my friend are just handing him the means for your destruction, before you know it your arch nemesis will have read the minds of your friends and hold your fate in his/her hands. And if your DM is good then it's bound to be a excellent!

Oramac
2018-01-25, 03:00 PM
I believe that champagne, by its definition, is a white wine. If your champagne is dark, or semi-dark, you should talk to your local wine dealer about its quality, and perhaps consider purchasing a fresh bottle.

I was going to say the same thing! Definitely need to have the champagne inspected for foul play.

I don't know. The arc of Grog and Craven Edge was really cool. Sure, it killed him in the end, but it was one hell of a great narrative.

That said, having such a weapon is a huge risk. I think your idea of a magical "bomb-in-the-brain" implant is probably your best bet, though it would have to be homebrewed.

Kane0
2018-01-25, 06:34 PM
If you cant get your hands on a magic self destruct button you could also just have a good old fashioned sit down and talk with your party. Tell them if you cross the line and do X they should do everything in their power do subdue you, up to and including lethal force.

kdoske
2018-01-28, 02:11 PM
Thanks for all the great advice guys!