PDA

View Full Version : AL secret missions

Chugger
2018-01-25, 05:10 AM
I've been told about secret missions in AL, but a lot of people - even some DMs in my local AL group - have never heard of them.

Apparently there are secret missions in a few of the modules (tier 2 I think), and if you finish one you qualify to buy stuff for d.t. and gold from your faction. Like +1 weapons and things like - I think an Elven CLoak and stuff like that.

Anyone done this? What's been your experience with this pls - and what module did you find a secret mission in?

Azgeroth
2018-01-25, 07:10 AM
any definition on what 'secret mision' actually means??

its sounds to me more like, side quest derived from condition/item x.

i.e. you find an NPC of your faction, do well on CHA rolls, get told about something you would otherwise of had no awareness of, or reason to pursue..

or

find item x which through some mechanism (you recognise it as belonging to NPC x) start a search (sidequest)

or

previous action/result means option x is now available..

Rogerdodger557
2018-01-25, 10:37 AM
any definition on what 'secret mision' actually means??

its sounds to me more like, side quest derived from condition/item x.

i.e. you find an NPC of your faction, do well on CHA rolls, get told about something you would otherwise of had no awareness of, or reason to pursue..

or

find item x which through some mechanism (you recognise it as belonging to NPC x) start a search (sidequest)

or

previous action/result means option x is now available..

There not. It's a weird meta-reward. You have to get secret missions for your character to advance in rank for the factions, with rank 3 requiring 1 secret mission, rank 4 requiring 3 secret missions, and rank 5 requiring 10 secret missions, in addition to level and renown requirements.

rooneg
2018-01-25, 10:46 AM
Secret missions are given out by AL modules (not hardcover adventures) that specifically say they're giving out a secret mission. Usually it's something that applies to members of a particular faction and it gives them some special thing they're trying to accomplish during the adventure (i.e. "hey, the Emerald Enclave would like you to find some special monster guts because reasons"). If you succeed the rewards section at the end of the adventure will tell the DM to award you a secret mission. Note that this only shows up in Tier 2 or higher adventures, there are similar things that show up in lower level adventures where if you do the special thing you get an extra point of renown, that's not a secret mission (I agree, it's a weird distinction).

The main application of Secret Missions is they let you gain ranks in your faction, which can let you do some special things.

Chugger
2018-01-25, 05:40 PM
Secret missions are given out by AL modules (not hardcover adventures) that specifically say they're giving out a secret mission. Usually it's something that applies to members of a particular faction and it gives them some special thing they're trying to accomplish during the adventure (i.e. "hey, the Emerald Enclave would like you to find some special monster guts because reasons"). If you succeed the rewards section at the end of the adventure will tell the DM to award you a secret mission. Note that this only shows up in Tier 2 or higher adventures, there are similar things that show up in lower level adventures where if you do the special thing you get an extra point of renown, that's not a secret mission (I agree, it's a weird distinction).

The main application of Secret Missions is they let you gain ranks in your faction, which can let you do some special things.

Thanks - and yes when you've done a Secret Mission after lvl 5 (that you qualified for), you can "buy" certain magic items from your faction. Uncommon for 50 d.t. and 500 gp; rare for 100 d.t. and 5000 gp. Generic uncommons are any +1 weap you choose or a +1 shield. Generic rare option is +1 armor. Then, each faction offers a specific uncommon and rare, a couple of which are really sweet.

If you search the Internet you'll eventually find sites saying which modules even allow secret missions. Then you have to hope a DM in your area will run them - or talk them into it or something, if that's allowed.