PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Gravity Sorcerer (5e Homebrew)

AgentMaineSIGMA
2018-01-25, 10:25 AM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DZ_N-8lZ3nu4WsSYDdYVT2sU8eU_uJtLRUtl4Hv-ifU

Back in a homebrewy mood. I decided that I wanted to build a Sorcerer that functions more as a controller than a nova caster. So, I made a sorcerer built on controlling positions. You mostly get features dedicated to keeping enemies away from you, basically all of which scale with your level. If you have any criticisms or suggestions, I’m happy to work out ways to better balance this.

Composer99
2018-01-25, 07:12 PM
Gravity Shield is probably OP: giving a full caster an unarmoured defence feature that keys off its casting stat? Whoa.

By contrast, Binding Field should probably be 1 sorcery point. It doesn't quite seem to be the equivalent of a 1st-level spell.

Flattening Force is also surely too costly. 8 sorcery points is 1 higher than the cost to create a 5th-level spell slot, and it's no 5th-level spell. Also, it seems like it could be hard to adjudicate and really inconsistent. Are you limited to the number of surfaces available? In a narrow dungeon corridor, it's awesome. In an open field? Not great. Or do you get to smack the target into the ground a few extra times? In fact, if you're making it a once pet long rest feature it probably doesn't need to cost sorcery points at all.

Gravity Soul looks fine. 12 sorcery points to cast a 7th level spell might be 1 too many, even granting that you don't have to know the spell.

What about a feature that lets you manipulate gravity in an area of effect? Say, your choice of making creatures go faster or slower in a 30-foot zone for 1 minute? (I'm just thinking of altering their movement speed, not haste or slow spell effects.)

AgentMaineSIGMA
2018-01-25, 08:49 PM
Gravity Shield is probably OP: giving a full caster an unarmoured defence feature that keys off its casting stat? Whoa.

By contrast, Binding Field should probably be 1 sorcery point. It doesn't quite seem to be the equivalent of a 1st-level spell.

Flattening Force is also surely too costly. 8 sorcery points is 1 higher than the cost to create a 5th-level spell slot, and it's no 5th-level spell. Also, it seems like it could be hard to adjudicate and really inconsistent. Are you limited to the number of surfaces available? In a narrow dungeon corridor, it's awesome. In an open field? Not great. Or do you get to smack the target into the ground a few extra times? In fact, if you're making it a once pet long rest feature it probably doesn't need to cost sorcery points at all.

Gravity Soul looks fine. 12 sorcery points to cast a 7th level spell might be 1 too many, even granting that you don't have to know the spell.

What about a feature that lets you manipulate gravity in an area of effect? Say, your choice of making creatures go faster or slower in a 30-foot zone for 1 minute? (I'm just thinking of altering their movement speed, not haste or slow spell effects.)

Thanks for the suggestions! A few things:

1. I based the unarmoured defense feature off the Draconic Sorcerer. They basically get a static +3 to AC and a health. Here, you get a potential +5 to AC, but without the health benefit. Plus, you have to work for the +5. That said, it is a pretty hefty benefit. What would you suggest instead?

2. The only reason I made Binding Field 2 points is because you use it as a bonus action, which leaves you still open to casting a spell.

3. I made Flattening Force basically a set-offense version of Telekinesis. Basically, you get to slam them into (potentially) 5 surfaces and deal 2D12 each time. Which means you’re pulling off 10D12 damage, plus knocking them prone and basically wasting their next turn. That’s why I put the high usage cost and the one-per-long-rest stipulation.

4. I wasn’t sure how many points to make it to cast in all honesty. I figured somewhere around 11-12 was fair.

5. I’m not sure how to effectively implement that. The way I look at it, you can’t really exercise disgression between buffing or debuffing your enemies and your allies. Either you buff or debuff everyone.

Composer99
2018-01-26, 10:16 PM
Starting at 1st level, your control of attractive and repulsive forces makes you more difficult to hit. Whenever you are not wearing armor, your AC = 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Charisma modifier. In addition, whenever you cast the cantrip Mage Hand, the spectral hand is invisible.

1. I based the unarmoured defense feature off the Draconic Sorcerer. They basically get a static +3 to AC and a health. Here, you get a potential +5 to AC, but without the health benefit. Plus, you have to work for the +5. That said, it is a pretty hefty benefit. What would you suggest instead?

True, but Draconic Sorcerer caps at AC 18 (if you pump Dex to maximum). If you pick a race that boosts Dex and Cha (like Tabaxi), and pump Cha and Dex, you could reasonably hit 20 in both, for an AC of 20. I'm not solid on the maths, but it wouldn't surprise me if an extra 1-2 AC is worth at least 20 hit points (the maximum boost you get for Draconic Sorcerer) after a few levels' worth of combats.

For instance, using the standard point buy (8s in all scores, 27 point budget, cap of 15 in scores), you could start with 14 Con, 14 Dex, 15 Cha before racial mods for decent hit points, and net 16 in both Dex and Cha, giving you an AC of 16 right off the bat, and improving your AC every time you hit an ASI until you reach AC 20 at 16th level. Or, if you're fine with the AC 18, you have it without having to burn any ASIs in Dex, unlike Draconic Sorcerer.

Anyway, what I would suggest, in all honesty, is replicating the Draconic Sorcerer feature, if you want to give this sorcerer extra AC.

Upon reaching 6th level, you gain greater control over the forces that bind creatures to the ground. As a bonus action, you can spend 2 sorcery points to attempt to knock a creature prone.

Choose one Huge or smaller creature you can see within 30 feet. This creature must make a Strength or Dexterity saving throw against your Spell Save DC. On a failed save, they are knocked prone and their movement speed is halved until the start of your next turn. On a successful save, they remain standing and their movement speed is reduced by 10.

2. The only reason I made Binding Field 2 points is because you use it as a bonus action, which leaves you still open to casting a spell.

Okay, but for 2 sorcery points I can use Quickened Spell and, if I'm 6th level, cast just about any 1st- through 3rd-level spell that I have spell slots for as a bonus action instead of using this, and still cast a cantrip as an action. I run out of sorcery points just as quickly, but do so using something potentially far more effective than knocking a single creature prone and slowing them a bit.

Your melee friends in the party can use an attack (which by 6th level they have two of every turn) to knock a creature prone. It's nice that you could do it, too, but it's not worth 2 sorcery points until you have plenty to spend, and by the time you have plenty to spend, you're still not going to want to use 2 of them on this feature.

Either creating another 1st-level spell slot or quickening a spell is a far more effective use of 2 sorcery points. In all honesty, you could make this cost 0 sorcery points, make it usable, say, a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier in between short or long rests, and it would be fine. But 1 sorcery point is okay. It's great to have something you can use with your bonus action that isn't a spell, but it's just not worth a 1st-level spell slot's worth of sorcery points.

Just to be clear, this is a good feature. I like it, in and of itself. It's just woefully underpowered if it's 2 sorcery points.

At 14th level, your control over gravity allows you to make a devastating attack. As an action, you may spend 8 sorcery points to left a creature into the air and slam their body into any nearby surfaces.

Choose on Huge or smaller creature within 30 feet of you. You may hit the targeted creature into a number of surfaces equal to your Charisma modifier. For each surface the target hits, they suffer 2D12 bludgeoning damage. If you force the target to hit another creature, each creature suffers 1D12 bludgeoning damage.

After this ordeal, the target must succeed a Constitution saving throw versus your spell save DC. On a failed save, they are knocked prone and their speed is reduced to 0 until the start of your next turn. On a successful save, they are knocked prone. You must complete a long rest before you may use this feature again.

3. I made Flattening Force basically a set-offense version of Telekinesis. Basically, you get to slam them into (potentially) 5 surfaces and deal 2D12 each time. Which means you’re pulling off 10D12 damage, plus knocking them prone and basically wasting their next turn. That’s why I put the high usage cost and the one-per-long-rest stipulation.

Yeeeeaaahhh, no. With telekinesis (https://www.5thsrd.org/spellcasting/spells/telekinesis/), every round you concentrate on the spell (which costs you either a 5th-level spell slot or 7 sorcery points... once), for up to 10 minutes, you can use your action to send a creature 30 feet up in the air. Next round, choose a different creature to lift up. The first creature drops and takes 3d10 bludgeoning damage. Switch back to the first creature the following round and lift it up. The second creature takes 3d10 damage. Rinse and repeat. Or you can switch to all sorts of different targets. If you're near a cliff or a pit you can send creatures in the spell's grasp over those and drop them down.

Whereas with this feature, it's not clear that you could do that. As I said (and you didn't address this point), it's potentially difficult to adjudicate. If there's only one surface (the ground), can you smack them into the ground up to 5 times? Or just once?

The only thing this feature has over telekinesis is it does more damage, one time. It's not worth 8 sorcery points, not by a long shot. If I want to do damage to creatures for 7 sorcery points, I'd cast cone of cold (which does more damage as long as it hits 2 creatures). If I want to stop them, wall of stone. If I want to move them around, telekinesis. 10d12 damage to a single creature and stopping it in its tracks is okay, but not 5th-level spell okay, and definitely not more-sorcery-points-than-a-5th-level-spell okay.

I mean, at 14th level the Draconic Sorcerer gets at-will flight, for no sorcery points. That's way more useful than this feature at its current sorcery point cost.

If you don't replace this feature with the "gravity-altering field", it needs revision, at least IMO.

Beginning at 18th level, you have perfected your control over gravity. You have a fly speed of 30 feet (hover).

In addition, you have advantage on all saving throws to not be moved (ex. Thunderwave, the Pushing Attack maneuver, a Beholder’s Telekinetic Ray, etc.). Finally, you can cast the spell Reverse Gravity for 12 sorcery points without expending a spell slot, even if you do not know the spell.

4. I wasn’t sure how many points to make it to cast in all honesty. I figured somewhere around 11-12 was fair.

At will flight, with hover to boot, is great. Advantage on saving throws against forced-movement effects, also great.

Using the DMG spell point variant, it would cost 10 spell points to cast reverse gravity, and then you couldn't create another 7th-level spell slot (the variant does not, if memory serves, offer options for creating a second 6th- or 7th-level spell slot as you reach 19th and 20th level, respectively).

Now I think about it, getting to break the high-level spell slot limit is not just fine - it's awesome, probably to the point of being overpowered. So, yes, 12 sorcery points is fine, and you should probably put in a limit to how often you can use the feature, otherwise your sorcerers are going to convert low-level spell slots into sorcery points in order to use this feature more often.

All that's to say this feature is way better than I first thought.

5. I’m not sure how to effectively implement that. The way I look at it, you can’t really exercise disgression between buffing or debuffing your enemies and your allies. Either you buff or debuff everyone.

I dunno, doesn't seem that tricky to me.

As an action, you can manipulate gravity in the region surrounding you, making it stronger or weaker. Choose either the Stronger Gravity or Weaker Gravity effect when you use this feature. The effect lasts for 1 minute, or until you end it early as a bonus action on your turn. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum one time), regaining expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Stronger Gravity. A field of stronger gravity forms 30 feet in all directions around you. Each creature moving within the field must spend an extra foot of movement for every foot it moves within the field. For instance, a creature covering 5 feet of normal terrain would spend 10 feet of its movement, and a creature moving through 5 feet of difficult terrain, or moving 5 feet against the winds created by gust of wind, would spend 15 feet of its movement.

Weaker Gravity. A field of weaker gravity forms 30 feet in all directions around you. Each creature starting its turn within the field adds 10 feet to its normal walking speed.

Sure, you can't affect your allies differently (unless you add a clause allowing you to exempt certain creatures, and there's no particular reason why you couldn't), but your allies can plan around your abilities, using ranged weapons and spells, and teleport effects, during the stronger gravity effect, and going into melee during the weaker gravity effect.

This feature seems more thematically appropriate than, say, Flattening Force, and it's weak enough that you could swap out Binding Field instead, if you wanted (or even the 1st-level feature). Or you could modify it to better fit your vision of the subclass.

AgentMaineSIGMA
2018-01-29, 09:56 AM
True, but Draconic Sorcerer caps at AC 18 (if you pump Dex to maximum). If you pick a race that boosts Dex and Cha (like Tabaxi), and pump Cha and Dex, you could reasonably hit 20 in both, for an AC of 20. I'm not solid on the maths, but it wouldn't surprise me if an extra 1-2 AC is worth at least 20 hit points (the maximum boost you get for Draconic Sorcerer) after a few levels' worth of combats.

For instance, using the standard point buy (8s in all scores, 27 point budget, cap of 15 in scores), you could start with 14 Con, 14 Dex, 15 Cha before racial mods for decent hit points, and net 16 in both Dex and Cha, giving you an AC of 16 right off the bat, and improving your AC every time you hit an ASI until you reach AC 20 at 16th level. Or, if you're fine with the AC 18, you have it without having to burn any ASIs in Dex, unlike Draconic Sorcerer.

Anyway, what I would suggest, in all honesty, is replicating the Draconic Sorcerer feature, if you want to give this sorcerer extra AC.

Okay, but for 2 sorcery points I can use Quickened Spell and, if I'm 6th level, cast just about any 1st- through 3rd-level spell that I have spell slots for as a bonus action instead of using this, and still cast a cantrip as an action. I run out of sorcery points just as quickly, but do so using something potentially far more effective than knocking a single creature prone and slowing them a bit.

Your melee friends in the party can use an attack (which by 6th level they have two of every turn) to knock a creature prone. It's nice that you could do it, too, but it's not worth 2 sorcery points until you have plenty to spend, and by the time you have plenty to spend, you're still not going to want to use 2 of them on this feature.

Either creating another 1st-level spell slot or quickening a spell is a far more effective use of 2 sorcery points. In all honesty, you could make this cost 0 sorcery points, make it usable, say, a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier in between short or long rests, and it would be fine. But 1 sorcery point is okay. It's great to have something you can use with your bonus action that isn't a spell, but it's just not worth a 1st-level spell slot's worth of sorcery points.

Just to be clear, this is a good feature. I like it, in and of itself. It's just woefully underpowered if it's 2 sorcery points.

Yeeeeaaahhh, no. With telekinesis (https://www.5thsrd.org/spellcasting/spells/telekinesis/), every round you concentrate on the spell (which costs you either a 5th-level spell slot or 7 sorcery points... once), for up to 10 minutes, you can use your action to send a creature 30 feet up in the air. Next round, choose a different creature to lift up. The first creature drops and takes 3d10 bludgeoning damage. Switch back to the first creature the following round and lift it up. The second creature takes 3d10 damage. Rinse and repeat. Or you can switch to all sorts of different targets. If you're near a cliff or a pit you can send creatures in the spell's grasp over those and drop them down.

Whereas with this feature, it's not clear that you could do that. As I said (and you didn't address this point), it's potentially difficult to adjudicate. If there's only one surface (the ground), can you smack them into the ground up to 5 times? Or just once?

The only thing this feature has over telekinesis is it does more damage, one time. It's not worth 8 sorcery points, not by a long shot. If I want to do damage to creatures for 7 sorcery points, I'd cast cone of cold (which does more damage as long as it hits 2 creatures). If I want to stop them, wall of stone. If I want to move them around, telekinesis. 10d12 damage to a single creature and stopping it in its tracks is okay, but not 5th-level spell okay, and definitely not more-sorcery-points-than-a-5th-level-spell okay.

I mean, at 14th level the Draconic Sorcerer gets at-will flight, for no sorcery points. That's way more useful than this feature at its current sorcery point cost.

If you don't replace this feature with the "gravity-altering field", it needs revision, at least IMO.

At will flight, with hover to boot, is great. Advantage on saving throws against forced-movement effects, also great.

Using the DMG spell point variant, it would cost 10 spell points to cast reverse gravity, and then you couldn't create another 7th-level spell slot (the variant does not, if memory serves, offer options for creating a second 6th- or 7th-level spell slot as you reach 19th and 20th level, respectively).

Now I think about it, getting to break the high-level spell slot limit is not just fine - it's awesome, probably to the point of being overpowered. So, yes, 12 sorcery points is fine, and you should probably put in a limit to how often you can use the feature, otherwise your sorcerers are going to convert low-level spell slots into sorcery points in order to use this feature more often.

All that's to say this feature is way better than I first thought.

I dunno, doesn't seem that tricky to me.

Sure, you can't affect your allies differently (unless you add a clause allowing you to exempt certain creatures, and there's no particular reason why you couldn't), but your allies can plan around your abilities, using ranged weapons and spells, and teleport effects, during the stronger gravity effect, and going into melee during the weaker gravity effect.

This feature seems more thematically appropriate than, say, Flattening Force, and it's weak enough that you could swap out Binding Field instead, if you wanted (or even the 1st-level feature). Or you could modify it to better fit your vision of the subclass.

So, I had an idea for the AC. Given that the archetype is based on manipulating the natural world by understanding it, you could justifiably say it has some wisdom features. That way, your Unarmored AC equals 10 + dex mod + wis mod? You won’t naturally boost your wisdom as a sorcerer, which means that your forcing the choice between offensive and defensive power based on how they distribute stats.

With Binding Field, that’s fair. What if it’s one point and you can do it after you cast a spell as a bonus action? That way it acts as a boost for your party, but you don’t get to roll your sorcerer spells (which should hit like a truck) at advantage?

I’ll admit, Flattening Force is limited by my ability as a writer. It’s intended that, regardless of number of surfaces, you just slam them charisma-mod times. But I didn’t want to phrase it as separate attacks, as it’s meant to be an auto-hit attack (like Hurl Through Hell). The point cost was basically derived from that. 10D12 damage beats Cone of Cold by 49 damage (on average) but doesn’t have the AoE. It does more burst damage than telekinesis and doesn’t require concentration, but lacks TK’s controlling factor. How would I go about phrasing Flattening Force better, and what would you recommend for the point cost because of those factors?

And you’re right. I’ll add a once-a-day type restriction on the Reverse Gravity feature.

Amnoriath
2018-01-29, 02:03 PM
1. Toying with another mental stat just makes liable into making wisdom worth it as such simplify it and use a monk's unarmoured defense with the mage hand cantrip instead.
2. The next two abilities to me are too specific in how many ways just superficially gravity can alter things. Rather than looking at how powerful something is maybe look at how versatile it is and can you use it with other casting?
3. The capstone is a little cluttered because it looks like you were looking at specific abilities and needed to shove them in. Change your previous abilities so that you can have a defined capstone.

AgentMaineSIGMA
2018-01-29, 02:45 PM
1. Toying with another mental stat just makes liable into making wisdom worth it as such simplify it and use a monk's unarmoured defense with the mage hand cantrip instead.
2. The next two abilities to me are too specific in how many ways just superficially gravity can alter things. Rather than looking at how powerful something is maybe look at how versatile it is and can you use it with other casting?
3. The capstone is a little cluttered because it looks like you were looking at specific abilities and needed to shove them in. Change your previous abilities so that you can have a defined capstone.

1. I’m still not sure how to give a pure AC boost without making it + Charisma. While I like + Charisma, I recognize how giving a caster potentially 20 AC can be problematic. With + Wisdom, it gives you a reasonable stat for control (given manipulating the natural world tends to be a Wisdom thing). Plus, you have no incentive to go Monk from a power building standpoint, given monks don’t get a better unarmored AC.

2. The next two features, while admittedly specific, are actually based off the power of abilities of the same level. Draconic Bloodline’s Elemental Affinity gives you some extra damage and resistance for an hour for 1 sorcery point. Wild Magic’s Bend Luck basically gives you Bless/Bane as a reaction for 2 points. This gives you a decent control option with a low Sorcerery point cost. Flattening Force has a high cost, but acts as a more-damaging Hurl Through Hell. Each are specific uses of gravity, but more general uses of gravity can be pulled off with your invisible Mage Hand.

3. The capstone is modeled heavily off of the Storm Sorcerer. You gain a similar flight speed. You don’t get immunities to thunder and lightning, but you do get the defensive boost of becoming harder to move around. Finally, the Reverse Gravity feature is there so a Gravity Sorcerer is guaranteed to learn the quintessential gravity spell. It’s a bit cluttered, but everything is there with reason.

Amnoriath
2018-01-29, 03:09 PM
1. Monks can't add a shield to their unarmoured AC as such the maximum would be 20 and even with point buy you can't max dex, casting stat, and constitution even with no feats.
2. But Dragon adds up to be much more and bend luck is probably not worth the cost. The point isn't to say it isn't balanced against others the point is that there better spell choices to make here or ways to modify spells to make a cooler more fitting archetype. I also really don't like options that cost more spell points than making a 5th level spell slot. Mage Hand only can affect objects up to 10 pounds non-offensively.
3. That is exactly the point, why would you want to be this when you can reflavor and retool the storm sorcerer getting a better gravity sorcerer? If you would offer options with more versatility upfront than you don't run into that problem.

AgentMaineSIGMA
2018-01-30, 10:14 AM
1. Monks can't add a shield to their unarmoured AC as such the maximum would be 20 and even with point buy you can't max dex, casting stat, and constitution even with no feats.
2. But Dragon adds up to be much more and bend luck is probably not worth the cost. The point isn't to say it isn't balanced against others the point is that there better spell choices to make here or ways to modify spells to make a cooler more fitting archetype. I also really don't like options that cost more spell points than making a 5th level spell slot. Mage Hand only can affect objects up to 10 pounds non-offensively.
3. That is exactly the point, why would you want to be this when you can reflavor and retool the storm sorcerer getting a better gravity sorcerer? If you would offer options with more versatility upfront than you don't run into that problem.

1. I actually had an idea for the AC boost. Draconic Bloodline basically gives you permanent, free Mage Armor and health. What if you got basically got Shield for free and the invisible Mage Hand? It’s another 1st level spell that provides a defensive benefit.

2. I don’t know. Outside of Hound of Ill Omen, most level 6 sorcerer abilities feel pretty minor. Low cost resistance and extra damage, Bless/Bane, better healing, or minor weather control. A minor, low cost control option feels appropriate here. Forcing creatures prone is the first one that comes to mind.

3. Most of the class in made to be unique from Storm Sorcerers. They were just really helpful for modeling what a good sorcerer capstone should be.

Amnoriath
2018-01-30, 10:53 AM
1. I actually had an idea for the AC boost. Draconic Bloodline basically gives you permanent, free Mage Armor and health. What if you got basically got Shield for free and the invisible Mage Hand? It’s another 1st level spell that provides a defensive benefit.

2. I don’t know. Outside of Hound of Ill Omen, most level 6 sorcerer abilities feel pretty minor. Low cost resistance and extra damage, Bless/Bane, better healing, or minor weather control. A minor, low cost control option feels appropriate here. Forcing creatures prone is the first one that comes to mind.

3. Most of the class in made to be unique from Storm Sorcerers. They were just really helpful for modeling what a good sorcerer capstone should be.

1. Way too much dude, you are comparing a 1st level spell that lasts for 8 hours without concentration with a 1st level spell that starts outside of your turn and lasts to the start of your next one. Even if it was against the one attack it is a lot as it stacks with all armor and shields with no restrictions. It would be a paladin's or bladelock's dream ability.
2. Again, it is a good ability but there is a difference between potency and versatility. Binding Field is an example of a potent ability for its cost but Bend Luck is an example of a versatile one.
3. You lost the point of what I am saying, I am not saying your gravity sorcerer is a storm sorcerer. I am a saying a storm sorcerer could reflavored and built easily in a way to be a better gravity sorcerer than yours can be.

AgentMaineSIGMA
2018-01-30, 11:10 AM
1. Way too much dude, you are comparing a 1st level spell that lasts for 8 hours without concentration with a 1st level spell that starts outside of your turn and lasts to the start of your next one. Even if it was against the one attack it is a lot as it stacks with all armor and shields with no restrictions. It would be a paladin's or bladelock's dream ability.
2. Again, it is a good ability but there is a difference between potency and versatility. Binding Field is an example of a potent ability for its cost but Bend Luck is an example of a versatile one.
3. You lost the point of what I am saying, I am not saying your gravity sorcerer is a storm sorcerer. I am a saying a storm sorcerer could reflavored and built easily in a way to be a better gravity sorcerer than yours can be.

1. Limit it to, let’s say, once per short/long rest. That way Shield stays relevant.

2. Given Empowered Healing, Hound of Ill Omen, and Elemental Affinity, most level 6 sorcerer abilities seem to be oriented for potency.

3. Ohhhhh. My bad. I can see how you could take abilities to have gravity-themed abilities as a storm sorcerer, but the inverse is true in my opinion. Any sorcerer can imitate any other kind of sorcerer to a degree. Outside of Wild Magic and Divine Soul, you can take spells to mimic almost any other sorcerer. Grab Mage Armor and Elemental Adept feat, and you’re basically have the Draconic Sorcerer. Mobile, Elemental Adept, and storm spells let you be the Storm Sorcerer without choosing that origin. Go Half Orc and grab Necromancy spells and you can mimic the Shadow Sorcerer. It’s less about making it utterly alien to the other archetypes and more about getting a few minor, specific benefits that are more convenient for you to get naturally than streching to emulate the archetype.