PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Creating A Spell, Could Use Feedback

Bobbyjackcorn
2018-01-25, 01:06 PM
So this is a spell my character is designing in a game, it's based on a character he used to adventure with. What do you guys think? Too powerful, not enough, let me know!

Ma'Elan Rides the Storm
2nd Level Evocation Spell
Range: Self, Duration: Concentration up to 1 minute, V,S,M

The caster brings to mind the tale of an ancient, sea-bound wood elf, bravely facing a violent storm on the bow of a large ship. Calling upon the story in the Old Tongue releases the magic of it, shuttering, sputtering, and roiling the ground in a 30ft area around the caster like the waves of the sea in that violent storm, making it difficult terrain for all but the caster for the duration. Stormclouds haze over the caster's eyes. Once per turn for the duration, the caster can summon the energy from the storm to strike himself with lightning, imbuing one melee weapon attack they make on an enemy within the area of the spell with an additional 1d4 +[1 per caster level (maximum of 5)] lightning damage.

clash
2018-01-25, 01:35 PM
In 5e spells scale by slot level not by caster level. Once you have corrected that I can take a better look

Bobbyjackcorn
2018-01-25, 01:45 PM
In 5e spells scale by slot level not by caster level. Once you have corrected that I can take a better look

I tried to be concise with that one, but the "per caster level" part applies to the +1 only, not the 1d4. I understand how spells scale.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-01-25, 02:00 PM
Honestly, I think this needs to be re-modeled into a SCAG-style cantrip. That would be more in keeping with 5e design and you can have it scale by level. So:

Ma'Elan Rides the Storm
Evocation cantrip

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 5 feet
Components: V, S, M (a weapon)
Duration: 1 round

As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell's range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack's normal effects, and your weapon discharges a jolt of electricity into them, dealing an additional 1d6 lightning damage.
This spell's damage increases when you reach higher levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 2d6 lightning damage to the target, at 11th level it deals 3d6 and at 17th level it deals 4d6.

It's less raw damage than booming blade or green-flame blade, but you don't have to satisfy any special circumstances to proc it. I think that's fair.

Bobbyjackcorn
2018-01-25, 02:08 PM
Honestly, I think this needs to be re-modeled into a SCAG-style cantrip. That would be more in keeping with 5e design and you can have it scale by level. So:

Ma'Elan Rides the Storm
Evocation cantrip

Range: 5 feet
Components: V, S, M (a weapon)
Duration: 1 round

As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell's range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack's normal effects, and your weapon discharges a jolt of electricity into them, dealing an additional 1d6 lightning damage.
This spell's damage increases when you reach higher levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 2d6 lightning damage to the target, at 11th level it deals 3d6 and at 17th level it deals 4d6.

It's less raw damage than booming blade or green-flame blade, but you don't have to satisfy any special circumstances to proc it. I think that's fair.

I do like this a lot, but effecting the battlefield is more important to the spell than the damage, and I'm aiming for second level because my DM allowed me up to that spell level in an in-game month's worth of research to make it, and I want to make the most of it.
The spell is designed after an adventurer who my character traveled with a long time ago, who sailed the sea and fought a leviathan.

Besides, I don't want the damage to be able to stack with something like Hex, I'm concerned that could end up fairly broken later on.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-01-25, 02:55 PM
affecting the battlefield is more important to the spell than the damage

...apologies, I didn't actually see that part of the spell the first time I read it.

Why not just use grease or entangle, then? They do the same job at a lower spell level. And then you've got sleet storm, which is pretty much the final word in difficult terrain. I'm struggling to see the need for another spell in this niche.

Bobbyjackcorn
2018-01-25, 03:26 PM
...apologies, I didn't actually see that part of the spell the first time I read it.

Why not just use grease or entangle, then? They do the same job at a lower spell level. And then you've got sleet storm, which is pretty much the final word in difficult terrain. I'm struggling to see the need for another spell in this niche.

Because I am a Warlock 4/Fighter 2 Bladelock and I don't get those spells. I feel it may have cleared some confusion to state that from the start, my apologies.
Besides, I wanted to make a second level spell to effect the battlefield in a way that is thematic to a character I knew, it's not as much about specifically manufacturing difficult terrain, per se, but about finding a good way to express my idea in a way that is mechanically balanced.

SilverStud
2018-01-25, 04:15 PM
I understand why you're not going with an existing spell. You have a rare opportunity! It isn't often that DMs let their players/characters create a spell. Naturally, you want to make it yours.

Now I think that, as written, it has cool flavor but does very little to distinguish itself from other spells. In fact, you might want to ease up on the flavor when creating the text of a spell. Save that for some awesome Inspiration-earning roleplay.

Now, good crowd control is a lot to ask for in a 2nd-level spell. Let's take a look at other spells in that level for reference.

Looking through, you'll notice that warding wind is very very similar.

Warding Wind
2nd-level evocation
Range: Self
Components: V
Duration: up to 10 minutes
A strong wind (20 miles per hour) blows around you in a 10-foot radius and moves with you, remaining centered on you. The wind lasts for the spell’s duration.
The wind has the following effects:

It deafens you and other creatures in its area.
It extinguishes unprotected flames in its area that are
torch-sized or smaller.
The area is difficult terrain for creatures
other than you.
The attack rolls of ranged weapon attacks have disadvantage
if they pass in or out of the wind.
It hedges out vapor, gas, and fog that can be dispersed
by strong wind.

Obviously your spell and this spell share their difficult terrain features. However, you'll notice that the wind has a smaller radius and also does more things than your waves. Perhaps if we bring down the radius of your waves, we can squeeze in some more things (to make it more unique and worth your character's downtime).

Ma'Elan Rides the Storm
2nd-level evocation (conjuration, maybe?)
Range: Self
Components: V
Duration:Concentration, up to 1 minute
Speak the words of power and step into the eye of the storm. For the duration of the spell, you are surrounded by a 10-foot-radius sphere of crashing waves, driving rain, and flashing lightning.
The storm area has the folloing effects:

You and other creatures in the area are deafened.
Unprotected flames in the area are doused, and everything else gets very wet.
The thunderclaps from the lightning can be heard clearly from up to 300 feet.
Any creature enters the waves for the first time on a turn or begins its turn in the waves must make a Strength saving throw. Creatures that fail are pushed 10 feet directly away from you and are knocked prone. Creatures that succeed are not pushed or knocked prone.

Additionally, you may use your Action to strike creatures with lightning. Make a spell attack against one creature in the storm. On a hit, that creature takes 1d10 lightning damage.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a 3rd-level slot or higher, your lightning strikes deal an 1d10 damage for each slot level above 2nd.

What do you think, OP? And if the OP likes it, what do the rest of you think of the balance here?

There are three built-in disadvantages to this one, the first two being from warding wind: first, it affects both friend and foe equally; second, you are deafened by the noise; thirdly, though, it is very very noisy. Warding wind doesn't specify that it alerts the entire dungeon, but this one does.

I shortened the duration to just 10% of warding wind's duration, because this one gives a damage option and can inflict conditions.

Moxxmix
2018-01-29, 02:49 AM
Based on personal work I've done trying to get a system together to figure out spell balance, I'd say it's likely within the limits for a 2nd level spell.

This is measured as:

2nd level, VSM = 6 points to spend

Range: Self = 0
Area: 30' = 4 points (6th level area in a 2nd level spell)
Duration: 1 minute, concentration = 0 points (+2 for 1 minute, -2 for concentration)
Difficult Terrain = 1 point
Cantrip level damage = 1 point
Damage requirement of melee hit = -1? (just guessing on this; don't have a value for it)

Might get another point nudge from giving the caster immunity to the difficult terrain.

Net: ~6 points out of 6 available.

It's on the top end of 2nd level, and I'm a little leery of both a 30' radius and extra damage, but it's most likely OK.