PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Sorcerer Capstone Rework

demonslayerelf
2018-01-25, 09:27 PM
Simple thing here, but I was working on some sorcerer stuff recently, and I figured this is something I should get done.

As an action, you may summon forth a monsoon of arcane energy, which fills and floods beyond your body in cataclysmic ways. For the next minute, you shed bright light out to 20 feet, and dim light for 20 feet after. During this minute, your sheer arcane might amplifies the effects of every spell you cast.

Your spell DC increases by 2. When you cast a spell, you may expend upto 3 sorcery points, increasing the DC further by 1 for every sorcery point expended. Raising the DC in this way counts as using a metamagic feature on this spell.

Whenever you cast a spell, you may activate one metamagic option for free. You may then apply metamagic as though it were an unmodified spell.

All sorcerer spells you cast deal an additional 10 force damage. If a spell deals no damage normally, you may choose to deal 10 force damage to the target(s) by casting it.

Once per turn, when you are effected by a spell, you may choose to absorb some of the magic, and regain sorcery points equal to the spell's level. In doing so, you automatically fail your saving throw, or the spell attack automatically hits, as appropriate.

You may not use this ability again until the end of your next long rest. Alternatively, at the end of a short rest, you may expend 15 sorcery points to recharge this ability.

Certain things about this capstone might seem a little much. That's a good thing, unless it's just ludicrously out of the ball park and I just didn't notice.

To get a little bit dnd philosophical, a capstone should be freaking awesome. And a few capstones do that, like the Druid(Although some would say it's a bit much, it's 20th level, I think it's fine), some of the paladins, and the Cleric's(Essentially a Wish+1 once/week, sign me up)... Most don't, and I think everybody knows it. Sorcerer is one of them, Monk is another, the Bard... And some are a bit more debatable.

The point is; It's a capstone, it should be freakin cool, not "Kinda neat." I hope I've done that to the sorcerer with this little number. Hope you enjoy it.

Feedback is always appreciated.

Hugh Mann
2018-01-26, 12:29 PM
Its missing how often you can use it and if those uses can be recharged with a short or long rest.

Is the added damage an instantaneous effect or a continuous one? It really probably should't be the latter, as that could mean that a Sorc can do 10 damage per turn for an hour if desired (for instance by using it on protection from energy then teleporting away)

demonslayerelf
2018-01-26, 02:29 PM
Its missing how often you can use it and if those uses can be recharged with a short or long rest.

Is the added damage an instantaneous effect or a continuous one? It really probably should't be the latter, as that could mean that a Sorc can do 10 damage per turn for an hour if desired (for instance by using it on protection from energy then teleporting away)

Thanks for the note, it is once/long rest, but you can spend 15 sorcery points to recharge it at the end of a short rest.(In case you didn't want to go back and look.)

And the added damage is something in between initial and continuous. Its 10 damage initially for an effect which doesnt normally deal damage, but its otherwise 10 extra force damage whenever you roll damage. It can add up, but not too incredibly.(The best effect it works with is Spike Growth, which I dont think Sorcerers can learn. If they can, it makes the effect 2d4+10 damage per step in the area, which is pretty nasty, but at level 20, probably not a game changer.)