PDA

View Full Version : Do I understand this correctly? (Monk - PATH or THE KENSEI)

ShirAhn
2018-01-26, 07:01 AM
Hey guys,

We are doing a short campaign and I am thinking of rolling a Path of Kensei - Wood Elf Monk. We will be starting at lvl 5 and are using a point buy system. At lvl 5 my character will have the following stats

Strength 8 (-1)
Dexterity 18 (+4)
Constitution 14 (+2)
Intelligence 10 (0)
Wisdom 16 (+3)
Charisma 10(0)

Now Kensei Weapons let me use any non-heavy, non special weapon. So I was thinking about using a Spear (flavor wise this fits better than a Sword and gives 1d8 when holding it with two hands). Do I understand the following correctly? And are there tips to optimise the damage? Thank you

Option 1 (normal round no Ki spend):
My turn starts, and I attack a creature:
1. The attack action give me 2 attacks (2x 1d8 +4)
2. Bonus action Unarmed Strike (1x 1d6 +4)
3. Agile Parry triggers and my AC gets +2 < Is this part of my attack action?

Option 2 (flurry of blows, 1Ki spend)
My turn starts, and I attack a creature
2. Bonus action Flurry of blows (2x 1d6 +4)

**EDIT added another question**
Does this make Monk really shine at the single target dps? On avarage I can get around 30 damage/round with this?

Mikal
2018-01-26, 07:08 AM
Correct in both. the unarmed strike from both counts for agile parry

Crgaston
2018-01-26, 07:12 AM
Was this clarified somewhere? Last I saw, the board consensus seemed to be that the bonus action unarmed strike did not actually trigger the parry.

If so, awesome!

clash
2018-01-26, 07:14 AM
This is actually incorrect it reads "When you make an unarmed strike as part of the attack action" in both cases you are making two spear attacks for the attack action. You need to make one of those attacks with an unarmed strike to trigger agile party.

ShirAhn
2018-01-26, 07:15 AM
Correct in both. the unarmed strike from both counts for agile parry

Thank you for your fast response, I have problems with the "If you make an unarmed strike as part of the Attack action on your turn" part of the sentence.

**EDIT

Im confused again. Basically if I change one of my attacks from spear to unarmed (1d8 to 1d6) I get the +2 bonus but effectively lose 1 damage on average?? That seems like a fine trade to me.

Dudewithknives
2018-01-26, 07:30 AM
Hey guys,

We are doing a short campaign and I am thinking of rolling a Path of Kensei - Wood Elf Monk. We will be starting at lvl 5 and are using a point buy system. At lvl 5 my character will have the following stats

Strength 8 (-1)
Dexterity 18 (+4)
Constitution 14 (+2)
Intelligence 10 (0)
Wisdom 16 (+3)
Charisma 10(0)

Now Kensei Weapons let me use any non-heavy, non special weapon. So I was thinking about using a Spear (flavor wise this fits better than a Sword and gives 1d8 when holding it with two hands). Do I understand the following correctly? And are there tips to optimise the damage? Thank you

Option 1 (normal round no Ki spend):
My turn starts, and I attack a creature:
2. Bonus action Unarmed Strike (1x 1d6 +4)

Option 2 (flurry of blows, 1Ki spend)
My turn starts, and I attack a creature
2. Bonus action Flurry of blows (2x 1d6 +4)

I have a tip.

Don't go kense, unless you really want to use a longbow.

A spear is already a monk weapon, you don't need Kensei to use it.

If you still want to go kensei, you have to give up one of your normal attacks to get the +2 ac bonus from agile parry. An unarmed strike made by using your bonus action like from Martial Arts or Flurry of Blows does not count.

Essentially they subclass would be letting you use a spear, that you already could use anyway, but then encourages you not to use it as much to get w more ac.

In my opinion the Kensei is a trap option.

If you want to make a nice spear user look to Open Hand, or maybe Long Death.

ShirAhn
2018-01-26, 07:32 AM
I have a tip.

Don't go kense, unless you really want to use a longbow.

A spear is already a monk weapon, you don't need Kensei to use it.

If you still want to go kensei, you have to give up one of your normal attacks to get the +2 ac bonus from agile parry. An unarmed strike made by using your bonus action like from Martial Arts or Flurry of Blows does not count.

Essentially they subclass would be letting you use a spear, that you already could use anyway, but then encourages you not to use it as much to get w more ac.

In my opinion the Kensei is a trap option.

If you want to make a nice spear user look to Open Hand, or maybe Long Death.

Thank you for your kind words, I will look into it.

BobZan
2018-01-26, 08:26 AM
You can use a Longsword as a Kensei and use its versatility to deal 1d10+dex

Lv 5 would be 2d10+1d6+3*Dex. Very nice damage. You can give up average 2 dmg to add +2 to AC, which is also nice.

DivisibleByZero
2018-01-26, 08:32 AM
This is actually incorrect it reads "When you make an unarmed strike as part of the attack action" in both cases you are making two spear attacks for the attack action. You need to make one of those attacks with an unarmed strike to trigger agile party.

This point is debatable.
It has not been confirmed by the designers either way. Anyone who tells you that it definitely must be from one of your "Attack action" attacks and that bonus action attacks do not count is speaking not of the cemented rules, but of their own interpretation of said rules.
Until we have a verified ruling from JC, it is up to each DM to decide if they allow Martial Arts or Flurry of Blows attacks to count towards this end.
And even if we do get a verified ruling from JC, it will still be in the DM's hands to allow or disallow those two.

clash
2018-01-26, 08:44 AM
This point is debatable.
It has not been confirmed by the designers either way. Anyone who tells you that it definitely must be from one of your "Attack action" attacks and that bonus action attacks do not count is speaking not of the cemented rules, but of their own interpretation of said rules.
Until we have a verified ruling from JC, it is up to each DM to decide if they allow Martial Arts or Flurry of Blows attacks to count towards this end.
And even if we do get a verified ruling from JC, it will still be in the DM's hands to allow or disallow those two.
I dont see where the debate is or where we need a separate ruling. The "Attack Action" is a pretty clearly defined thing in 5e and the bonus action attacks in martial arts or flurry are not it. Martial arts:

When you use the Attack action with an unarmed strikc or a monk weapon on your turno you can make one unarmed strike as a bonus action. For example, if you take the Attack action and attack with a quarterstaff, you can also make an unarmed strike as a bonus action, assuming you haven't already taken a bonus action this turn

Note the bolded. It does not read you can make an additional unarmed strike as part of the attack action. It is a different action and clearly does not count towards agile parry. Now feel free to houserule somethign at your own table but the rules are clear that it does not count.

ShirAhn
2018-01-26, 08:51 AM
You can use a Longsword as a Kensei and use its versatility to deal 1d10+dex

Lv 5 would be 2d10+1d6+3*Dex. Very nice damage. You can give up average 2 dmg to add +2 to AC, which is also nice.

Shoudnt this be:

1d10 + 4 (first attack) = (5,5 +4) = (9)
1d10 + 4 (second attack) (5,5 +4) = (9)
1d6 +4 (bonus attack) = (3,5 + 4) = (7,5)
avarage = 25,5?

Dudewithknives
2018-01-26, 09:02 AM
I dont see where the debate is or where we need a separate ruling. The "Attack Action" is a pretty clearly defined thing in 5e and the bonus action attacks in martial arts or flurry are not it. Martial arts:

Note the bolded. It does not read you can make an additional unarmed strike as part of the attack action. It is a different action and clearly does not count towards agile parry. Now feel free to houserule somethign at your own table but the rules are clear that it does not count.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/03/17/bonus-attack/

It was verified by JC that they attack action and a bonus attack that uses a bonus action is not the same thing.

People know this, it was shown in another thread yesterday about kensei.

Some people, just can't accept that an ability is so counterproductive to the design of the subclass.

DivisibleByZero
2018-01-26, 09:04 AM

just like literally every. single. other. thing in this game.
Some people just can't accept that the rule book is not the word of God at a DnD table.

ShirAhn
2018-01-26, 09:06 AM
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/03/17/bonus-attack/

It was verified by JC that they attack action and a bonus attack that uses a bonus action is not the same thing.

People know this, it was shown in another thread yesterday about kensei.

Some people, just can't accept that an ability is so counterproductive to the design of the subclass.

I am sorry I missed it, Im not bothered either way, its only 1damage difference for a massive whopping 2AC. I just wanted to be sure.

DivisibleByZero
2018-01-26, 09:08 AM
its only 1damage difference for a massive whopping 2AC. I just wanted to be sure.

Precisely. Which is exactly why that ruling is superfluous, and which is exactly why any DM who rules that MA and/or FoB counting towards it isn't going to break anything.

dickerson76
2018-01-26, 09:24 AM
Keep in mind that the gap between Kensei weapon to-hit bonus and unarmed attack could get wider if there are magic weapon bonuses (+1, +2, +3) involved, making it a more interesting choice.

Dudewithknives
2018-01-26, 09:26 AM
Keep in mind that the gap between Kensei weapon to-hit bonus and unarmed attack could get wider if there are magic weapon bonuses (+1, +2, +3) involved, making it a more interesting choice.

I just wish that Kensei could just pick unarmed strike as their kensei weapon.

and/or

That they would make an actual unarmed strike magic item like knuckles, cestus, wraps, or whatever.

If there was just some kind of unarmed strike weapons I would play a Monk much more often.

jaappleton
2018-01-26, 09:32 AM

Can’t they?

Dudewithknives
2018-01-26, 09:34 AM
Can’t they?

No, it is not a weapon.

You have to pick one melee weapon and one ranged weapon.

An unarmed strike is neither.

DivisibleByZero
2018-01-26, 09:34 AM
Can’t they?

An unarmed strike is not a weapon. It's specifically the absence of a weapon.
That being said, it doesn't break anything to allow it (as long as you're keeping multiclass Bladelock shenanigans and the like off the table).

jaappleton
2018-01-26, 10:03 AM
An unarmed strike is not a weapon. It's specifically the absence of a weapon.
That being said, it doesn't break anything to allow it (as long as you're keeping multiclass Bladelock shenanigans and the like off the table).

Isn't it on the weapon table of the PHB?
That's why I thought they could.

Dudewithknives
2018-01-26, 10:06 AM
Isn't it on the weapon table of the PHB?
That's why I thought they could.

That was a printing mistake, they errataed it out.

It is not a weapon but everyone can make an unarmed attack and are considered proficient.

jaappleton
2018-01-26, 10:08 AM
That was a printing mistake, they errataed it out.

It is not a weapon but everyone can make an unarmed attack and are considered proficient.

Ahh, got it.

Kinda silly they can't do it with an unarmed strike.

I love Monks, as there's tons of awesome utility baked into the class, but finding a magic weapon with an attack bonus to make half my attacks with and using my unarmed strikes with a different bonus frustrates the nerd in me.

Make a damn Cestus, WOTC!

Dudewithknives
2018-01-26, 10:22 AM
Ahh, got it.

Kinda silly they can't do it with an unarmed strike.

I love Monks, as there's tons of awesome utility baked into the class, but finding a magic weapon with an attack bonus to make half my attacks with and using my unarmed strikes with a different bonus frustrates the nerd in me.

That goes along with the idea that an Open Hand monk is still better off just using a spear/quarterstaff for their main attacks and just use their normal unarmed MA/Flurry abilities for the Open Hand abilities.

Open hand should have been well, more empty handed focused.

Also, Kensei start with 1 melee, and one ranged weapon to choose as kensei weapons, fine, makes sense.

Then through they get to pick up to 3 more weapons to become kensei weapons and balance the class with it, even though those are kind of pointless.

Other than if you find a new magic weapon that is better than the one you already use, why would you use a different weapon than your first 2 choices anyway?

Their level 6 ability is mostly pointless, by then you will have a magic weapon anyway in 90% of tables so the fact you can make your weapon count as magic is kind of, "so what" unless you are fighting in an anti-magic zone against people who require a magic override. The other level 6 ability to spend 1Ki to add an extra damage die is ok but I doubt I would use it very often unless that die is like a d8 or more and I crit on the attack.

Their level 11 ability to make the weapon a +1/2/3 is great, other than it will not work on an already +1/2/3 weapon which is probably what you have anyway. Maybe if you had a magic weapon with no + on it like a flametongue or something it might be ok but more than likely it is not even going to work on your primary weapon, and you can't use it on unarmed strikes to help your MA/Flurry because they are not weapons.

Their level 17 ability is very nice and sounds great.

It was like they took the idea of offering a Zen Archer subclass but screwed it up and also a Sohei subclass for weapon use, but screwed it up too.

jaappleton
2018-01-26, 10:48 AM
It was like they took the idea of offering a Zen Archer subclass but screwed it up and also a Sohei subclass for weapon use, but screwed it up too.

Its exactly what they did.

rbstr
2018-01-26, 10:50 AM
Im confused again. Basically if I change one of my attacks from spear to unarmed (1d8 to 1d6) I get the +2 bonus but effectively lose 1 damage on average?? That seems like a fine trade to me.

Yep, that's the idea. But lots of people are salty about it as you can see. (And you can kinda count me as one of them)

Summed up, Kensei gives you:
A ranged attack option that's pretty good.
And a choice between much better AC or decently increased damage compared to baseline monk. And you get to to be flexible, alternated per turn if you want.

Is that worth it? Honestly I think so if you like the flavor. It's not like Open Hand is offering you something massively powerful instead.

A place where Kensei works pretty well, I think, are classes that might dip monk. Dex-based rangers, fighters and even clerics. Get a bonus-action attack (and a bonus-action "burst damage" option with flurry), a bonus action to add to your longbow damage and the option to forgo a bit of damage for AC if you need it.

BobZan
2018-01-26, 11:37 AM
If you use 2 Kensei weapons with Dual Wielder Feat, you can reach nice AC for a second liner.

10+Dex+WIS+1+(2)

Lv 1 = 17
Lv 3 = 17 (19)
Lv 4 = 18 (20)

Dudewithknives
2018-01-26, 12:16 PM
If you use 2 Kensei weapons with Dual Wielder Feat, you can reach nice AC for a second liner.

10+Dex+WIS+1+(2)

Lv 1 = 17
Lv 3 = 17 (19)
Lv 4 = 18 (20)

I assume you mean as your level 1 feat from an alt human?

If not the ASI would be better off just put into Dex>Wis>Cha

If you are using Dual Wielder you get:
+1 AC, which would have been there anyway if you put +2 into Dex or Wis.
Using 2 weapons that are one handed but not light. All that means is on a class that already gets a free, scaling bonus attack starting at level 1, why bother?
Draw 2 one handed weapons instead of 1. This is not so bad, but you are proficient with one ranged weapon too from kensei so just use a bow.
On top of the +2 dex also gives you:
+1 to multiple good skills
+1 to hit, damage, and initiative
+1 to a pretty common save
and
Always on AC compared to having to have a pair of weapons in your hands.

You could also have put the +2 into wisdom for:
+1 to wis save which is one of the best to have
+1 to stunning fist DC which is a HUGE boost to a monk
and
+1 to the most common and best skill in the game

As an Alt human feat is is just ok, but there are much better feats.

BobZan
2018-01-26, 01:21 PM
As I posted, it can only be at 1st level. And I never said it was the best option.

Spiritchaser
2018-01-26, 06:37 PM
Its exactly what they did.

I’m not so sure

I’d say they made a pretty effective zen archer

Or a stun-whip... thing... I don’t have a word for that.

Other than those two things, I’d agree, Kensei is pretty bad... but fighter 1 for archery and Kensei for the rest is no joke.

Dudewithknives
2018-01-26, 07:10 PM
I’m not so sure

I’d say they made a pretty effective zen archer

Or a stun-whip... thing... I don’t have a word for that.

Other than those two things, I’d agree, Kensei is pretty bad... but fighter 1 for archery and Kensei for the rest is no joke.

Even back in 3.0 and 3.5 when monks sucked so bad that people would lose a bet and have to play one. I loved monks.

I played 4e and hated it, loathed it even.

Pathfinder monks were great, so many options and customizations. Their zen archers were solid gold.

5e monks are ok, but in the long run you are a stun monkey with other stuff on the side.

Open hand is good.
Shadow has amazing scouting and stealth.
4 elements is total garbage.
I have yet to ever see anyone actually play a long death monk.
Sun soul is just a rip off dragon ball character who has a ranged attack that looks good until you see it has a 30 ft range and is considered a spell attack.
Drunken master is pretty good. I like it.
Kensei is a jumbled Frankenstein's monster of an archer and sohei that only half does either one.

Not only that but it would have been so easy to just make a zen archer subclass and a sohei subclass.

Spiritchaser
2018-01-27, 08:06 AM
What more does a Kensei need to be a better zen archer?

I do admit that a one level dip for the archery Fighting Style is very strong, and I wouldn’t pass it up, but I don’t think one could include that in the base class

Zalabim
2018-01-27, 08:29 AM

and/or

That they would make an actual unarmed strike magic item like knuckles, cestus, wraps, or whatever.

If there was just some kind of unarmed strike weapons I would play a Monk much more often.

(Un)Fortunately for you both, there already is a magic item that boosts your unarmed strikes. It's called the Insignia of Claws. It's in the Tyranny of Dragons adventure, not the DMG. However, it does provide the basis for an unarmed strike/natural weapon version of any weapon you please, much like the Amulet of Mighty Fists.

Even back in 3.0 and 3.5 when monks sucked so bad that people would lose a bet and have to play one. I loved monks.

I played 4e and hated it, loathed it even.
If you hated 4e's monks, then I'm not sure you're even human. If you just hated 4e in general, well, there's no accounting for taste.

Kensei is a jumbled Frankenstein's monster of an archer and sohei that only half does either one.

Not only that but it would have been so easy to just make a zen archer subclass and a sohei subclass.
The thing is that a truly weapon-focused subclass and a truly archery-focused subclass need many of the same abilities, so it makes sense to combine them. The only thing the zen archer needs that the kensai/sohei doesn't is an alternative to the important stunning strike ability, even if it's simply the (ridiculous and OP) ability to stun with a bow and arrow. Whether it's a polearm or a longbow, the sohei/zen archer wouldn't be able to easily rely on Martial Arts or Flurry of Blows as a bonus action attack without conflicting with their weapon's longer range, as well as the subpath's theme of focusing on using a weapon (so why am I making half my attacks unarmed?) Open Hand has the opposite theme problem of focusing on unarmed strikes, but making so many attacks with a weapon. Where the subpaths do have to be split is between the kensai and the sohei, as there's no reason to use a longsword if the character can use a glaive instead.

Caelic
2018-01-27, 09:19 AM
The Kensei is...odd. On the one hand, it's supposed to represent a monk who dedicates himself to the use of weapons; on the other hand, the mechanics encourage using the weapon less often.

cotofpoffee
2018-01-27, 10:16 AM
The Kensei is...odd. On the one hand, it's supposed to represent a monk who dedicates himself to the use of weapons; on the other hand, the mechanics encourage using the weapon less often.
I mean, if attacking is the only way a weapon gets used, sure.

Frankly, an almost permanent +2 to AC is really damn good mathematically. It has to have a drawback of some kind. And making an unarmed attack during you Attack action is such a small drawback that I'm kind of surprised that Kensai don't get that much attention. But I guess a simple increase in AC just isn't that exciting, even if it is good.

clash
2018-01-27, 10:29 AM
One of the best things about the monk class is the sheer amount of bonus action options. No other class really has the options they do. The ability isn't counter to the subclass. Rather it adds something to the subclass to still make main action unarmed strikes viable. Without this quite good option unearned strikes as main attacks would become completely obsolete. This gives something for mellee weapons something for ranged weapons and something for unarmed strikes. That is a great toolkit for the monk

mephnick
2018-01-27, 02:33 PM
What more does a Kensei need to be a better zen archer?

Being unable to use your main class feature (stun) is a pretty hard knock against it. It's not really an Archer if I have to keep running into melee.

rbstr
2018-01-27, 03:16 PM
I guess I wouldn't call stunning strike the Monk's "main" feature. Certainly its a big one but given all your get in terms of archery from Kensei, I can't say I'd miss it that much if I wanted to use a Longbow primarily.

Especially because you're really not giving up melee prowess. If you decide to run in and stun stuff you can do so with either more damage or more AC than any other monk archetype.
That's a lot of flexibility.

Dudewithknives
2018-01-27, 03:30 PM
I guess I wouldn't call stunning strike the Monk's "main" feature. Certainly its a big one but given all your get in terms of archery from Kensei, I can't say I'd miss it that much if I wanted to use a Longbow primarily.

Especially because you're really not giving up melee prowess. If you decide to run in and stun stuff you can do so with either more damage or more AC than any other monk archetype.
That's a lot of flexibility.

Yes, sunning strike is the monks main feature. If they did not have that other players would want you to 0lay another class.

Also the only thing that Kensei does for archery is let you use Maria arts bonus action to add 1d4 to each shot.

A normal monk can use a shortbow, if they are proficient with a long bow you could use it.
If you were using a bow you probably were not in range to use the MA extra unarmed attack anyway.
Making the weapon magic is useless considering that by level 6 you should have a magic weapon of some kind anyway, the only reason monks get thay at level 6 for unary is because there are no magic unarmed weapons.

If you want to play an archer play a shadow monk so you have an easy way to stay at range.

It is simple as this:

Zen archer

Level 3: proficiency with all ranged weapons and weapons with the thrown property. They are considered monk weapons.

You may pend 1 Ki point to make one ranged attack as a bonus action.

Level 6: Oncer per round you may spend 1 Ki to use stunning fist through your ranged weapon. Thrown weapons gain the ammunition trait.

Level 11: you may use your deflect arrows feature to deflect ranged spell attacks. You can not throw it back though.

Level 17: as an action make one ranged attack with your weapon that ignores all sources of disadvantage and miss chances, if you hit it is a critical.

Done.

Finlam
2018-01-27, 04:02 PM
I guess I wouldn't call stunning strike the Monk's "main" feature.

I have to agree that it's definitely their main feature. In fact, it is a class defining feature. A monk who isn't using Stunning Strike is like a Wizard or Sorcerer who isn't casting spells.

Spiritchaser
2018-01-27, 04:04 PM
Being unable to use your main class feature (stun) is a pretty hard knock against it. It's not really an Archer if I have to keep running into melee.

In fairness, I think it’d be exceedingly powerful if that worked from range

rbstr
2018-01-27, 05:13 PM
OK, if you guys want to go with Stunning Stike as the monk's defining feature over Martial Arts or the level-2 Ki features that's fine.

Also the only thing that Kensei does for archery is let you use Maria arts bonus action to add 1d4 to each shot.

But this is silly. Most monk features pretty much either don't interact with bows or the bow actively prevents them for working.
Kensei's features on the other hand, except for Agile Parry, all work with a bow.
Besides the extra d4 a hit you get to use a longbow for ~+2 damage a hit right out vs. shortbow monk. The Kensei's bow will eventually count as a magic weapon. And, most critically you can spend Ki. Deft strike isn't super strong but its something and works very well on a crit. And the +x attack/damage bonus works at less opportunity cost with a Bow than it does with a melee weapon. Plus at the top end you can reroll a miss.

It's miles beyond any other Monk with a bow.

Spiritchaser
2018-01-27, 06:01 PM
I think the real strength does tequire the fighter dip, and sharpshooter.

+2 from archery and +3 from sharpen the blade makes the +5/-10 very appealing.

Dudewithknives
2018-01-27, 06:53 PM
I think the real strength does tequire the fighter dip, and sharpshooter.

+2 from archery and +3 from sharpen the blade makes the +5/-10 very appealing.

You could get the same thing by just using a magic bow and use no class abilities at all.

Spiritchaser
2018-01-27, 08:13 PM
You could get the same thing by just using a magic bow and use no class abilities at all.

I have never given out a plus 3 bow... heck, I’ve never given out a plus 2 bow. Nor have I played in a campaign where one existed.

I do hand out +1 weapons, and I’m considering just maybe a plus 2 scimitar for level 15s

But in campaigns with more magic, I’d grant that the combo icould be less important.

Dudewithknives
2018-01-27, 09:17 PM
I have never given out a plus 3 bow... heck, I’ve never given out a plus 2 bow. Nor have I played in a campaign where one existed.

I do hand out +1 weapons, and I’m considering just maybe a plus 2 scimitar for level 15s

But in campaigns with more magic, I’d grant that the combo icould be less important.

If you had a +1 bow the Kensei ability does not work anyway.

Zalabim
2018-01-28, 04:36 AM
A normal monk can use a shortbow, if they are proficient with a long bow you could use it.
If you were using a bow you probably were not in range to use the MA extra unarmed attack anyway.
Making the weapon magic is useless considering that by level 6 you should have a magic weapon of some kind anyway, the only reason monks get thay at level 6 for unary is because there are no magic unarmed weapons.
(Un)Fortunately for you, there already is a magic item that boosts your unarmed strikes. It's called the Insignia of Claws. It's in the Tyranny of Dragons adventure, not the DMG. However, it does provide the basis for an unarmed strike/natural weapon version of any weapon you please, much like the Amulet of Mighty Fists.

Getting a magic weapon is never guaranteed, and if rolling items randomly you'd be lucky to have one by level 6. Ranged magic weapons are rarer than melee ones, too. Monks get their ki-empowered unarmed strikes because it's something that monks have traditionally had, but it can't compare to the effect of an actual magic item with bonuses in combat.

It is simple as this:

Zen archer

Level 3: proficiency with all ranged weapons and weapons with the thrown property. They are considered monk weapons.

You may pend 1 Ki point to make one ranged attack as a bonus action.

Level 6: Oncer per round you may spend 1 Ki to use stunning fist through your ranged weapon. Thrown weapons gain the ammunition trait.

Level 11: you may use your deflect arrows feature to deflect ranged spell attacks. You can not throw it back though.

Level 17: as an action make one ranged attack with your weapon that ignores all sources of disadvantage and miss chances, if you hit it is a critical.

Done.
Level 3 is fine. A little on the weak side, but fine.
Level 6 is fine-ish for the stunning ability. The ammunition ability doesn't make sense though. If the subclass wants to enable throwing weapons (and I'm not sure it does), that feature should show up at level 3, and the ammunition trait is not that feature. The ammunition trait means the weapon uses ammunition to make its attacks. The ammunition trait does not mean that drawing the weapon is part of attacking with the weapon.
The level 11 feature is out of place. I like the ability, but there's nothing zen archer about it.
The level 17 feature is awful. You get the special ability to use your action to deal less damage than any other monk shooting a shortbow twice. Level 17 features are supposed to be good, something that would get used often, and this is not. It could be changed to allow one hit each turn to be declared a critical hit instead, or just allow the zen archer to add 1d10 damage to one hit each turn. Just something so it's actually beneficial instead of detrimental to use it.

This would either get the idea dropped from future development, or printed in the next book pretty much exactly as-is without fixing major issues(drunken master).

Spiritchaser
2018-01-28, 05:40 AM
If you had a +1 bow the Kensei ability does not work anyway.

That does not invalidate the ability.

Having a plus 3 weapon nearly at will is exceedingly powerful, particularly if that weapon is a bow and that bonus can be combined with archery and sharpshooter.

I think you have a point, that in a high magic campaign, it’s less useful (though in such a campaign, the imaginative DM may hand out something like a “flame tongue bow” to keep things reasonably close to balanced). This is also not the only class or racial feature that can be devalued in such a campaign.

I think you do the power of a Kensei archer a severe disservice to downsell that power on the presumption that all campaigns are going to be high magic, and high magic relatively early.

Tanarii
2018-01-28, 05:42 AM
Getting a magic weapon is never guaranteed, and if rolling items randomly you'd be lucky to have one by level 6. Ranged magic weapons are rarer than melee ones, too. interestin statement. I find it generally to be true, but look at the (rough) odds of a party finding a +1 or +2 weapon at all by level 6 shall we? Just to back up what we're seeing happen in game.

Weapon +1 is 11% on table F.
Weapon +2 is 10% on table G.
Type of weapon is up to your DM, so for these generic magic weapons how rare a bow is vs melee is up to her.

Levels 1-4 DMG recommends 7 rolls on the Tier 1 table, and at level 5 you should expect to find 3 rolls on the Tier 2 table out of 18 total for Tier 2. The odds of finding even a single weapon +1 or +2 is roughly:
Weapon +1 = 1-(1-12%*11%*1d4)^10 or about 29%*
Weapon +2 = 1-(1-06%*10%*1d4)^3 or about 4.5%**

*formula uses Tier 1 12% across the hoards, despite going up to 14% for Tier 2 hoards. So I rounded up from 28.5%

**odds of finding a weapon +2 in Tier 1 is negligible (0.2%) and ignored

So yeah, we can pretty safely dismiss the idea that in a randomly rolled magic item campaign, a PC will find a specific type of magic weapon +1 (or better) they are looking for by level 6. Odds are not even 1 in 3 that the entire party will even find one magic weapon +1 of any type.

(Interestingly, this same thing happens with Wizards finding spell scrolls. It's pretty rare. And still some people talk like Wizards will learn all kinds of extra found spells.)

Zalabim
2018-01-28, 08:22 AM
Ranged weapons are rarer because there's more specific melee weapons that might be rolled instead. Plus, even if you were to selectively pick the rewards off the magic item tables, there's a lot of competition in there. You could take a Weapon +1, or you could take:
Amulet of proof against detection and location-if you think someone is watching you
Bracers of archery-kind of an obvious choice
Broom of flying-flying archers
Cloak of protection
Helm of telepathy-if you think someone is plotting against you
Ring of mind shielding-if you think you're surrounded by doppelgangers
Stone of good luck
Weapon of warning-It is a magic bow, but you can still benefit from Sharpen the Blade later
Winged boots-archers that fly
or something that a different party member might like.

Instead of a Weapon +2, the competition gets fierce with things like:
Amulet of health
Boots of levitation-A poor imitation of flying archers
Bracers of defense
Cape of the mountebank-To teleport in style
Cloak of displacement
Gem of seeing-to prove you're surrounded by doppelgangers
Helm of teleportation-Teleport by level 6, a literal game-changer
Mantle of spell resistance-long before level 14
Ring of free action
Vicious weapon
Wings of flying-Winged archers
Along with a host of powerful tools for the rest of the party, like Dragon Slayer or a Wand of fireballs.

Moving into what's possible starting at the 5-10 tier, instead of a Weapon +3, you could choose:
Carpet of flying
Crystal ball-to spy on the people watching you
Ring of regeneration
Manual or Tome of +2 to an ability score (any of 6)
Oathbow
Or a ton of powerful melee weapons and magic tools.

Tanarii
2018-01-28, 10:32 AM
Ranged weapons are rarer because there's more specific melee weapons that might be rolled instead.Conversely, magic ammunition (ie something usable by ranged weapons specifically) is also a 27% chance your party will find at least one batch by level 6.

Not sure why your listing alternative items given we're talking about rolled magic times?