PDA

View Full Version : Prestidigitation

DeShurland
2018-01-26, 08:42 AM
Hello all

Have read somewhere about using Prestidigitation to do the following... create smoke to come out from NPCs nose, bottle said smoke, then bluffing that you have their soul.

I am all for going full Shang Tsung "Your soul is mine" but can you create smoke using Prestidigitation? Would this be a 'sensory effect' ? or is minor illusion better for such an effect (you can always add the voice in then as well)

nickl_2000
2018-01-26, 08:58 AM
I think it would be stretching the limits of a single casting of prestidigitation to

1) Smoke billows out of the nose
2) Smoke goes into the bottle
3) PC inhales smoke.

I think the spell could do all of those, but it would probably take a few castings to make it allow happen over time.

That being said, this would be a cool RP moment and RAF (rules as fun) would make it so I would absolutely let it happen with a single casting. Combine in there a Cleric casting Thaumaturgy and you could be downright terrifying.

IMO Minor illusion actually couldn't do this as you can't have two effects at once (the smoke and the noise) and minor illusion creates a static image not a moving one.

DeShurland
2018-01-26, 09:05 AM
I think it is ok, all i am doing is making some smoke and bottling it. will check with the DM.

Need thorn whip and Thaumaturgy... and you can do some Scorpion "Get over here"

nickl_2000
2018-01-26, 09:15 AM
I think it is ok, all i am doing is making some smoke and bottling it. will check with the DM.

Need thorn whip and Thaumaturgy... and you can do some Scorpion "Get over here"

That's going to be rough. You are pulling from the Druid List for thorn whip. The Cleric list for thaumaturgy. And Bard/Sorcerer/Wizard/Warlock for prestidigitation.

You would be better off with Cleric for thaumaturgy and prestidigitation/lightning lure (from SCAG) from Sorcerer/Wizard/Warlock. It gives a similar effect without quite as many classes.

Sigreid
2018-01-26, 09:29 AM
That's going to be rough. You are pulling from the Druid List for thorn whip. The Cleric list for thaumaturgy. And Bard/Sorcerer/Wizard/Warlock for prestidigitation.

You would be better off with Cleric for thaumaturgy and prestidigitation/lightning lure (from SCAG) from Sorcerer/Wizard/Warlock. It gives a similar effect without quite as many classes.

Easy enough for a warlock tome pact. And a pretty appropriate prickish move for a fiend or GOO warlock.

DarkKnightJin
2018-01-26, 09:30 AM

Or you go Nature Domain and get Thorn Whip for free. And don't have to worry about multiclassing at all.
Go Vuman, grab Magic Initiate from one of the classes that gets Prestidigitation, and you have your level 1 'Scorpion' right there.

nickl_2000
2018-01-26, 09:33 AM
Easy enough for a warlock tome pact. And a pretty appropriate prickish move for a fiend or GOO warlock.

Or you go Nature Domain and get Thorn Whip for free. And don't have to worry about multiclassing at all.
Go Vuman, grab Magic Initiate from one of the classes that gets Prestidigitation, and you have your level 1 'Scorpion' right there.

Good point from both of you. I completely forgot about those options. For some reason, Nature Cleric always disappears from my mind as an option.

tieren
2018-01-26, 09:36 AM
I had a player try to use minor illusion to put bags under his eyes and make himself look more ragged (trying to pass self off as a beggar for instance).

I wouldn't allow the minor illusion spell to do it (only makes image of object, no motion, etc...), but the same character had prestidigitation on his sheet and I allowed it as a minor sensory effect.

DarkKnightJin
2018-01-26, 09:37 AM
Good point from both of you. I completely forgot about those options. For some reason, Nature Cleric always disappears from my mind as an option.

I don't blame you for that. It's not a very common pick for most players, I think. Also doesn't help that it's kinda tucked in a corner, with big bad Tempest domain for a neighbour.

DeShurland
2018-01-26, 09:49 AM
Some interesting ideas.

I play as fighter, but took magic initiate (specifically wizard based, so i could get find familiar as it is cool to have a pet and we don't have a scout) I also brew beer in my downtime (set up a brewery in some tunnels under a castle after we cleared it of rats) so presti will be used to make people think they are drinking my beer.

The smoke thing would be a nice to have for intimidation and getting free stuff.

Unoriginal
2018-01-26, 09:57 AM
Hello all

Have read somewhere about using Prestidigitation to do the following... create smoke to come out from NPCs nose, bottle said smoke, then bluffing that you have their soul.

I am all for going full Shang Tsung "Your soul is mine" but can you create smoke using Prestidigitation? Would this be a 'sensory effect' ? or is minor illusion better for such an effect (you can always add the voice in then as well)

You can't do that with Prestigiditation, no. The "bottling the smoke" part at least. The smoke would disipate basically imediatly

Also, imagining you do convince someone you stole their souls with a parlor trick (which won't be easy), you're getting someone who hates you for life. You can expect your character to be hunted by any authority in the area as a dangerous necromancer, not to mention the different churches.

tieren
2018-01-26, 10:00 AM
You can't do that with Prestigiditation, no. The "bottling the smoke" part at least. The smoke would disipate basically imediatly

I disagree, assuming the PC was actually holding an empty bottle, a wiff of smoke moving from the NPC's nose into the bottle would likely be a sensroy effect.

nickl_2000
2018-01-26, 10:06 AM

I disagree, assuming the PC was actually holding an empty bottle, a wiff of smoke moving from the NPC's nose into the bottle would likely be a sensroy effect.

It's really a DM call and possibly a houserule. However, how would having a tiny bottle of smoke that you huff to scare people really break anything in the game? Sure it intimidating, but so is some huge dude with horns a devil tale, and a sword as tall as he is. It's fun to imagine

Tiadoppler
2018-01-26, 10:21 AM
It's imaginative, and a cool move. Keep in mind: Light and Prestidigitation are probably the most common and universally utilitarian spells in the world, and the ones that people would be most familiar with. I'd rule that the NPC would get an extra, DC 10-12, Int(Arcana) check to realize that it's a simple trick. If they fail their check, advantage on Intimidation would be appropriate.