PDA

View Full Version : Bard trading out Magical Secrets spells on level up?

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-01-26, 10:52 AM
Hello,

It was an eventful session for our party and my level 6 Lore Bard. We leveled up and had a DM swap which involves our Cleric's player becoming the DM and our DM taking back over his monk. Its all cool, the DM's are different but I like both styles. Plus when one has run out of inspiration after 3 levels of play the other probably has something ready.

What has changed though is my Bard is now the party's primary healer. She has Healing Word and would have taken Revivify as a Magical Secrets spell but we had a cleric.

Reading the PHB Bard spell slots description says, "when you gain a level you can choose one of the bard spell you know and replace it with another spell from the bard spell list, which also must be of a level for which you have spell slots."

Is this generally interpreted as I can't trade out "Non Bard" spells I learned through Magical Secrets?

Or

Magical Secrets reads "The chosen spells count as bard spells for you" So if they count as bard spells I can trade them out because I can trade out bard spells?

What I figure I need are a few logical reasons provided by you all with expertise, they might just count as bard spells I can trade out. Then I can ask our "new old DM" if between them logical reasons and our party changes if he will let me swap in Revivify.

PhoenixPhyre
2018-01-26, 10:54 AM
Hello,

It was an eventful session for our party and my level 6 Lore Bard. We leveled up and had a DM swap which involves our Cleric's player becoming the DM and our DM taking back over his monk. Its all cool, the DM's are different but I like both styles. Plus when one has run out of inspiration after 3 levels of play the other probably has something ready.

What has changed though is my Bard is now the party's primary healer. She has Healing Word and would have taken Revivify as a Magical Secrets spell but we had a cleric.

Reading the PHB Bard spell slots description says, "when you gain a level you can choose one of the bard spell you know and replace it with another spell from the bard spell list, which also must be of a level for which you have spell slots."

Is this generally interpreted as I can't trade out "Non Bard" spells I learned through Magical Secrets?

Or

Magical Secrets reads "The chosen spells count as bard spells for you" So if they count as bard spells I can trade them out because I can trade out bard spells?

What I figure I need are a few logical reasons provided by you all with expertise, they might just count as bard spells I can trade out. Then I can ask our "new old DM" if between them logical reasons and our party changes if he will let me swap in Revivify.

By RAW (as in the Sage Advice Compendium), you can trade them out but can only pick native bard spells to replace them.

So if you learned fireball, you could trade it out for something on the native list, but you couldn't pick lightning bolt. So if revivify is on the native bard list, you're good to go by RAW.

nickl_2000
2018-01-26, 10:58 AM
Hello,

Or

The RAW answer is that you can pick anything from your bard list. Your bard list consists of the spells that are actually on the Bard list + the spells you chose at level 6. You do not get to add another spell to your class list from another class until your next magical secrets at level 10. At level 7 you can trade out the spell you took from the magical secrets at level 6 for a different spell on your list, then at level 8 you can get the magical secrets spell back if you like though.

Now, if there has been some sort of major event in the party that has caused your Bard to need revivfy instead of a different spell talk to the DM about it. Some DMs would let this happen (I personally would). Be prepared for an answer of No though.

Tanarii
2018-01-26, 11:04 AM
Now, if there has been some sort of major event in the party that has caused your Bard to need revivfy instead of a different spell talk to the DM about it. Some DMs would let this happen (I personally would). Be prepared for an answer of No though.
This is probably a good idea. If it's a single party expecting to stick together for an entire campaign, and you built the character with express knowledge of the other characters being brought to the table, a minor rebuild like swapping out a Magical Secret for Revivify when the Cleric suddenly becomes the DM probably isn't out of line.

Zanthy1
2018-01-26, 01:36 PM
This is probably a good idea. If it's a single party expecting to stick together for an entire campaign, and you built the character with express knowledge of the other characters being brought to the table, a minor rebuild like swapping out a Magical Secret for Revivify when the Cleric suddenly becomes the DM probably isn't out of line.

Seconded the above. My table did a similar rebuild when XGtE came out as well. Any major change (new content or DM) should warrant possible rebuilds/tweaks. a note, this does not include a dying PC. If the cleric straight up got shrekt, then y'all'd be SOL