PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Metamagic Simplification

SpaceCommander
2018-01-26, 01:20 PM
Ok, I'm not too good at writing, so I'll get right to the point. In this variant rule, each metamagic feat essentially combines the standard effect with that of a sudden metamagic feat, as well as an equivalent metapsionic, metashadow, and metaname(?) feat. Once per day, you may use the sudden metamagic version. Any other time, it has the standard cost with some differences. A metamagic feat can be used on any spell, power, mystery, or truename it would otherwise apply to, with some differences. If applied to a or power, it has the listed effect. If applied to a mystery, you must spend a total number of mystery levels equal to the level of the upgraded mystery (i.e. to cast an Enlarged Blackfire, you might spend a use of carpet of shadow in addition to the use of the blackfire slot). Finally, if applied to a truename, you increase the DC equal to 5x the level of the metamagic effect (i.e. Twin Spell would increase the DC by 20, while Silent Spell would increase the DC by 5).

So what do you think?

rferries
2018-01-26, 07:53 PM
Not familiar with mysteries and truenaming, but this is a big buff for spells and powers obviously, one that spellcasters really didn't need. Encounters are often cut short by a single spell, but now that spell is going to be a quickened empowered maximised fireball starting at 5th level.

That said, I secretly love this concept. I dislike the idea of metamagic adjustment, I always felt that once you invest in the feat you should be able to apply it freely (though obviously given the effects they have that would be beyond broken), or only the "sudden" versions should be used.

Goaty14
2018-01-26, 11:23 PM
Personally, the truename penalty is a bit much IMO (unless you're a certain forum member, in which case it's laughable). Kinda buffs magic system theurges, such as the cerebremancer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/cerebremancer.htm)

To shorten: Metamagic feats simultaneously apply to all magic systems, and grants the ability to use it once a day without level adjustment.

-Applying it to mysteries require you to expend a number of mystery levels equal to the total level adjustment applied.
-Applying it to truenaming increases the truespeak DC to 5*(total level adjustment).
-<Insert mechanics for metapsionic feats>

SpaceCommander
2018-02-05, 03:24 PM
Not familiar with mysteries and truenaming, but this is a big buff for spells and powers obviously, one that spellcasters really didn't need. Encounters are often cut short by a single spell, but now that spell is going to be a quickened empowered maximised fireball starting at 5th level.

That said, I secretly love this concept. I dislike the idea of metamagic adjustment, I always felt that once you invest in the feat you should be able to apply it freely (though obviously given the effects they have that would be beyond broken), or only the "sudden" versions should be used.

When I wrote this, I also took a look at the alternative systems in UA, one of which simply states that a metamagic feat simply allows 3 free uses per day. Also, your Quickened Empowered Maximized Fireball is going to use up that benefit for just about every metamagic feat you have.If you would like to balance it somewhat, than you could keep the original level requirements for feats (i.e. 9th level for quicken spell, 5th level for empowered spell).

Personally, the truename penalty is a bit much IMO (unless you're a certain forum member, in which case it's laughable). Kinda buffs magic system theurges, such as the cerebremancer

To shorten: Metamagic feats simultaneously apply to all magic systems, and grants the ability to use it once a day without level adjustment.

-Applying it to mysteries require you to expend a number of mystery levels equal to the total level adjustment applied.
-Applying it to truenaming increases the truespeak DC to 5*(total level adjustment).
-<Insert mechanics for metapsionic feats>
You mean Zaq, right? I chose the truename penalty based on what was in Tome of Magic. Granted, that whole chapter is ABYSMALLY edited (I'm looking at you, Disciple of the Word), however this is the best and simplest way I could think of to keep things relatively balanced to official source material. The rule for Metapsionic feats is that they cost +2 power points per 1 increased spell level. Also, something I forgot to mention, persistent spell does NOT get the benefit of the sudden metamagic. Cheese is fun, but not that much.

If you're interested, I actually created this thread in preparation for my Manacaster homebrew base class (forthcoming).