PDA

View Full Version : 5e Field Smithing Clean Up

Birch
2018-01-26, 04:55 PM
My background came with self reliant - which basically means field smithing. My DM allowed it and likes that I play with this and herbalism in game. Herbalism has a solid home-brew we agreed on and it's working fine. For this, the home-brew is vague and I am trying to lock it down a bit. I'd love some help cleaning it up before we meet. He has agreed in principle to the following - and in fact gave me the +1 to produced items as a permanent skill since I spent time with a town blacksmith while the rest of my party was fighting the high guard. Dummies.

Should the land or circumstance provide, you may use your abilities and tools to work in the field to keep yourself and your party equipped with basic gear, and keep the gear you have in working order. You can do these activities during a short/ long rest or as a down time activity.

For the first list you make a Perception check to find the resources necessary. When attempting to do one of these things, using your Field Smithing Tools you roll a d20, if you are proficient with Smith's Tools add your proficiency bonus. If you make the DC you successfully make what you were attempting.

Resource Producible Items
Birds Fletching for d20+1 bolts or arrows (DC 5). Time Requirement 5 Minutes.
Wooden Stick of at least 1ft. Shafts for d20+1 arrows or 2d20 bolts (DC 5). Time Requirement 5 Minutes.
Small Game (small or smaller) 1d4+1 square feet of fur or leather (DC 5). Time Requirement 5 Minutes.
Scrap Metal Weapons or Armor Scrap metal equal to half the weapons damage die (i.e dagger equals 2 scrap, short-sword equals 3 scrap) (DC 10). Time Requirement 15 Minutes.
Flint Stones Arrow heads for 1d4+1 arrows(flint arrows break on impact) (DC 5). Time Requirement 5 Minutes.
Large Game(Medium or larger) 1d8+1 square feet of fur, 1d10+1 feet of sinew(can be used as rope, or x2 as much thread after a long rest) (DC 10). Time Requirement 15 Minutes.

Basic Field Metal Working
Metal Scraps Consumed
1 You can sharpen a weapon giving it a +1 to attack and damage rolls for it's next 1d8+1 attacks (DC 10). Time Requirement 15 Minutes.
2 You can make 1d6+1 Metal Arrow Heads, Darts, Caltrops, Fishing Hooks, or other very simple small metal items (DC 5). Requires at least a small fire. Time Requirement 15 Minutes.
3 You can make a Handaxe with 1 square foot of leather, and a 1ft wooden stick (DC 5). Time Requirement 30 Minutes.
4 You may repair up to a 1-foot tear in a piece of metal armor (DC 5). Time Requirement 20 Minutes.
5 You may make 1d8+1 simple small metal items (DC 5). Requires at least a small fire. Time Requirement 30 Minutes.
6 You can make different weapons (DC 5-15). Requires at least a small fire. Time Requirement 30 Minutes.
7 You can make different armors (DC 10 Leather, DC 15 Metal). Requires at least a small fire. Time Requirement 20 Minutes.
8 You may repair a two foot tear in armor that lasts for 20 damage (DC 10). Requires at least a small fire. Time Requirement 40 Minutes.

I'd like to make it scale better with time and resources. Would love any thoughts or suggestions to do that. Thanks!