PDA

View Full Version : how would i make crocodile from one piece?

FabulousFizban
2018-01-26, 06:44 PM
honestly i dont even know what system to use: pathfinder, 5e, gurps, mutants and masterminds? im willing to fluff a mechanic however necessary, so long as the practical effect roughly matches the character's abilities.

ideally i'd use 5e (i just like it), but that may not be possible

how would you create other one piece characters in your system of choice? what about brook or mihawk?

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-01-27, 05:07 AM
I hope I'm understanding the question correctly, with neither of us being a native speaker, but it looks like you're asking "How do I homebrew a crocodile when my preferred system, 5e, doesn't have one?"

The first thing you can do is google crocodile 5e, it will show you other people's attempts. Maybe you'll like those.

The second thing you can do is look if 5e has other creatures that are similarly dangerous, like a dinosaur or a bear of the some size. Both a sea crocodile and a nile crocodile would be large creatures, although you could make a giant croc species or add a (kind of unrealistic) age category that makes them huge, since crocodiles keep growing throughout their lives. You take the large bear, you slap on a swim speed while reducing its land speed to 10. You change the natural attacks, two claws and a bite, for a single stronger bite. You take out the special attacks and make up some replacements that simulate the croc launching itself from the water and/or doing the death roll thing ones it has a victim in its jaws. The track ability can stay, as can low light vision, and maybe lizardfolk still have a special ability against drowning you can borrow, but that might not even be needed with a swim speed. Give the creature some bonus to hiding when in the water. If the bear had a high or even just decent dexterity, take that down a bit but add natural armor. Now you've got a crocodile around the same CR as the bear, maybe a bit higher when used in the right environment.

The third thing you can do is look up the crocodile from the d20 srd, so from 3.5. It definitely had a crocodile. You take that and see if there's anything in it that doesn't work with 5e anymore, like skills. Replace those bits. Keep everything that stayed the same between the two games intact. This doesn't work for all systems, but it works for 5e because 3.5 exists, and there is a lot of material for it.

That's the beginners guide to homebrewing a crocodile.

Never mind. I should not reply to posts I'm not 100% sure I understand.

Fri
2018-01-27, 05:31 AM
Crocodile here is a character from One Piece, basically a character who can turn his body into sand.

Obviously it's much more straightforward to use MnM. You can easily make any One Piece character using MnM. Like, it's literally what the system is meant. You use DnD to play a fantasy game, or at least game with specific character classes like fighter, wizard, cleric. You use MnM to make a character made of sand, a skeleton man that can hypnotize people using music, or whatever.

The only thing that prevent me from making Crocodile right now is that I can't be bothered to check the book and build the actual numerical character actually, since once again, it's pretty straightforward. Make a character with intangibility (made of sand), blast power, and drain power, with two major drawback (turn solid when touched by any liquid, kryptonite-style weakness for sea water), and you're done. Add some details as you like (charisma, minion, some poisoned weapon).

Making brook or mihawk is just as simple with MnM.

Metahuman1
2018-01-27, 06:54 AM
You'd also need to limit the power too being beaten by Sea Prisum Stone and Armament Haki descriptors as well as the Water descriptor, and you'd need a powerloss complication for Sea Prism Stone Contact as well as for being submerged in water.

A couple of standard Array options, Move Object, couple of blast options with different areas, couple of ranged and melee attack options that use attack rolls.

In addition to Intangibility, you might want to buy Immunity. Or just make Intangibility Permanent with the aforementioned flaws as well.

A movement power or two, flight probably with suitable limiters, and yeah, there you go.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-01-27, 09:01 AM
If you want to stick with 5e, you're probably looking at something like Mystic, which is the best superpower-simulator currently released.