PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder It's Alive! - Creating Human Life in Pathfinder RAW

Axle-Gear
2018-01-27, 02:22 AM
There's an odd little fixation I have from time to time while browsing the pfsrd, and a challenge I'd like to see realized, in literally 'building' a character within a campaign, using RAW. I mean, most higher level stuff leaves characters playing as near gods, so why the heck not? Part of the challenge is following a couple of stipulations, of course:

1) No wish or miracle type spells.
2) All base materials must be non-living and inorganic.
3) Creating intelligent undead or constructs doesn't count. We're looking to create a living humanoid.
4) The resulting creature cannot merely be a copy of another, existing creature. Otherwise this whole thing nearly stops at Simulacrum.

I don't know how often anyone else has tried to tackle this problem, but any solution I derive seems to come back to Polymorph Any Object. My plan involves sculpting a statue in a desired likeness, using Stone to Flesh to turn it into inert flesh, and casting said Polymorph Any Object on the resulting mass to transform it into a human. Pending GM discretion, I figure the duration factors add up to permanent. There's +5 for same kingdom (animal), and +2 for same size. Where interpretation comes in is getting one or both of related (sculpture of humanoid into that humanoid) or same class (mammal? humanoid? This one gets a bit looser in drawing the connection).

Assuming our GM allows that crucial last +2 to get us to 9+ in the duration factor, we now have permanently created... a human with STR/DEX/CON 10 and INT/WIS/CHA 5.

Huh... A bit underwhelming for the effort put in. Theoretically, we can bring this humanoid up to speed with Tome of X items or wish spells, but that requires a LOT of resources to produce a mediocre adventurer.

But I know I'm terrible at optimizing, and maybe someone out there might have a better approach to this theoretical Frankenstein scheme? How would any of you out there tinker in God's domain? :D

Florian
2018-01-27, 06:38 AM
Creating and altering life is covered by Fleshwarping/Fleshcrafting, a process that is only roughly fleshed out with just some very basic information available.

noob
2018-01-27, 06:53 AM
There's an odd little fixation I have from time to time while browsing the pfsrd, and a challenge I'd like to see realized, in literally 'building' a character within a campaign, using RAW. I mean, most higher level stuff leaves characters playing as near gods, so why the heck not? Part of the challenge is following a couple of stipulations, of course:

1) No wish or miracle type spells.
2) All base materials must be non-living and inorganic.
3) Creating intelligent undead or constructs doesn't count. We're looking to create a living humanoid.
4) The resulting creature cannot merely be a copy of another, existing creature. Otherwise this whole thing nearly stops at Simulacrum.

I don't know how often anyone else has tried to tackle this problem, but any solution I derive seems to come back to Polymorph Any Object. My plan involves sculpting a statue in a desired likeness, using Stone to Flesh to turn it into inert flesh, and casting said Polymorph Any Object on the resulting mass to transform it into a human. Pending GM discretion, I figure the duration factors add up to permanent. There's +5 for same kingdom (animal), and +2 for same size. Where interpretation comes in is getting one or both of related (sculpture of humanoid into that humanoid) or same class (mammal? humanoid? This one gets a bit looser in drawing the connection).

Assuming our GM allows that crucial last +2 to get us to 9+ in the duration factor, we now have permanently created... a human with STR/DEX/CON 10 and INT/WIS/CHA 5.

Huh... A bit underwhelming for the effort put in. Theoretically, we can bring this humanoid up to speed with Tome of X items or wish spells, but that requires a LOT of resources to produce a mediocre adventurer.

But I know I'm terrible at optimizing, and maybe someone out there might have a better approach to this theoretical Frankenstein scheme? How would any of you out there tinker in God's domain? :D
It would not make a mediocre adventurer: it would make someone which can be killed with a simple dispel magic.

unseenmage
2018-01-27, 10:19 AM
Custom Spell research up a PF version of Incarnate Construct is my go to. But that still involves Constructs.
Simulacrum, as mentioned is another means I've toyed with.

I am still more familiar with 3.x's methods of accomplishing the imoossible. The Plane of Dreams and the Lucid Dreaming skill, the Far Realm, Epic Spellcasting.
Porting any if these over or even travelling to their respective alternate realities is another option, though admittedly still not in the spirit of the challenge at hand.

There's always the old fashioned method. Have kids and force them to live the way you want. Diplomancy or mind control magics will br necessary and during their teenage years they're probably going to pick up a potent immunity to both, at least until they grow out of it. :smalltongue:

Another option is mind control combined with memory manipulation. If you cannot make what you want, then modify what exists.
The Scribe's Binding spell is my favorite for this one, you literally turn the target into an open book then rewrite their thoughts and memories.

You cannot give them skills, feats, or class abilities but you can certainly give them the burning desire to retrain into the desired adventuring class build.

Another theoretical avenue is to get a soul premade and work it into some process by which it does as you desire. Soulbound Shell construct contains a spellcaser's soul. Give it the Simple Wizard template and it can cast spells. Now it qualifies for the Worm that Walks template and is a living thing. I imagine the transformation is much like becoming a lich.
No clue hiw to accomplish any of the above as a character though, let alone how to inflict it.

The question becomes then, for me at least, what means exist in PF to do 'anything'?

noob
2018-01-27, 11:11 AM
You can create any creature as a construct.
With any creature you can do a lot of things.

Catarang
2018-01-27, 12:22 PM
Creating and altering life is covered by Fleshwarping/Fleshcrafting, a process that is only roughly fleshed out with just some very basic information available.

I see what you did there :smallsmile:

Castilonium
2018-01-28, 03:00 AM
Make a simulacrum of a Drakainia (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/aberrations/drakainia/) or Elohim (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/elohim/).

Yes, THAT Elohim (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elohim).

Birth Spawn and Create Life will create real creatures even though the things using those abilities are simulacrums.