PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on good utility Wild Shape forms...

samcifer
2018-01-27, 10:09 AM
So I'm planning out a Moon druid / Light Cleric build (variant human) and have been looking around for a list of beast forms to change into, but am wondering if there's a few utility forms I might have overlooked. I'll be starting off at lv 2, so sadly no swimming or flying yet. :(

Giant Goat (thematic for the character)
Wolf (ditto)
Ape
Brown Bear
Giant Spider

Are there others I should consider?

Temperjoke
2018-01-27, 10:27 AM
I wouldn't overlook the value of more basic forms such as regular cats, rats, lizards, or mastiffs. They're not as good in combat, but they are good at keeping a low profile when your party needs a scout in an urban environment. Not to mention, the tiny size of some of the aforementioned animals makes it much easier to conceal yourself with your party, if you want/need a secret party member or obscure how many people are actually there. If you have a wizard in your party, you can pretend to be their familiar, for example.

Tiadoppler
2018-01-27, 10:38 AM
I wouldn't overlook the value of more basic forms such as regular cats, rats, lizards, or mastiffs.

This. Also mules and riding horses are good for being unobtrusive and getting around encumbrance penalties. I've seen players tie a 'riding horse' in front of a tavern to eavesdrop on targets. Riding horse speed of 60' isn't bad either.
Mastiffs have advantage on hearing and smell, great for tracking.
Panthers have speed 50/climb 40 and better stealth than a cat (although they don't blend in as well if they fail their stealth check, so ymmv)

nickl_2000
2018-01-27, 11:33 AM
Giant badger. You get burrowing speed. Also look at the dire wolf and the dinosaurs.

If Tome of Beast is allowed look at the batest temple cat, it's all kinds of broken.

Strangways
2018-01-27, 02:48 PM
Giant badger. You get burrowing speed. Also look at the dire wolf and the dinosaurs.

If Tome of Beast is allowed look at the batest temple cat, it's all kinds of broken.

Second this - Giant Badger with its burrowing speed will let you slip away from all kinds of bad situations.

Also have a look at creatures with blindsight (Giant Spider, Bats etc) for when you have to navigate in magical darkness or some other sight-blocking effect, like fog. Giant-size creatures with climbing speed can also help you carry other party members up steep cliffs, out of pits etc.

Davrix
2018-01-27, 02:52 PM
do keep in mind, you must have SEEEEN an animal to shape-shift into it. I would mostly let this slide for most common things but for the more power play type I would be like, ok where and how did you see the T rex to turn into it.

Kuulvheysoon
2018-01-27, 04:39 PM
do keep in mind, you must have SEEEEN an animal to shape-shift into it. I would mostly let this slide for most common things but for the more power play type I would be like, ok where and how did you see the T rex to turn into it.

Funny enough, you picked one of the very few Beasts that a druid cannot shapeshift into (given that they have a CR of 7, and a 20th level moon druid can only wildshape into beasts of CR6 or lower). But your point remains valid, and kinda an odd duck out.

Osrogue
2018-01-27, 04:42 PM
Raven. Inconspicuous flying and scouting capabilities and capable of speaking without returning to his or her humanoid form.

Wisefool
2018-01-27, 04:50 PM
He is only Lv 2 and won't have the ability to fly until Lv 8, so a grounded raven hopping from Point A to Point B would look very peculiar. But is certainly a good suggestion once he hits Lv 8.

BW022
2018-01-27, 07:47 PM
Lots of things which can be done even at fairly low levels...

Movement There are a number of forms which are simply faster. Deer, wolf, riding horse, elk, etc. all can have higher movement rates. These can be useful simply in moving quickly or for longer distance travel.

Carrying Capacity Mules, riding horses, and others can easily carry larger loads (and even other characters). This can be useful to get a wounded character to safety, carry loot back to town, etc.

Climbing A number of creatures (spiders, baboons, etc.) have a climb speed which makes you able to get up cliffs, trees, ship masts, buildings, etc. with little risk.

Stealth A number of creatures have good dexterity and/or hide abilities. Cats, panthers, rats, etc.

Subterfuge Even if spotted, many creatures can effectively sneak past or near people or creatures simply because they don't raise any alarm. A cat in a city or town, a rat in a dungeon, or a goat in a farm... isn't going to raise suspicions even if spotted.

Carried Tiny or small beasts might be able to be snuck or transported to various areas. A wizard's familiar might be able to carry a rat (druid) over a tower wall. A rogue PC might put scorpion (druid) in his pocket and sneak him into a "come alone" meeting. Heck, you might be able to put a spider (druid) in a box and have it delivered to someone.

Digging A few creatures (such as badgers) had a digging speed. This can be useful in digging up chests, burring items, escaping collapsed caverns, etc.

Resting Stealth, climbing, or digging can often be used to provide safety when resting (and typically alone). For example, a baboon going up into a tall tree and resting, or badger digging a den under an old log are probably safe from say a group of bounty hunters looking for you.

Scouting/Spying Stealth, climbing, or digging, plus superior senses and subterfuge can be devastating for scouting or spying missions. Climb a tall tree to look around or have a rat sneak next to a group of city thugs and listen to them. Far easier for a beast to do this (and survive) than say a rogue or monk. Even if spotted, they probably aren't going to think anything of it.

Getting through Openings A snake, lizard, rat, scorpions, etc. could easily squeeze through bars or even get under a doorway.

Weight Various forms may have high or low weight which could be useful. If you need to make it across a room with pressure plates... send a cat or weasel. If the guard are causing you and you need to secure a trap door... have a horse lay down on it. Low weight might also mean they could easily be lowered or pulled out of a chasm, ride a log across a river, or be thrown across a lava pit.

Poison Depending upon the ruling of your DM, some animals have poison which could technically be harvested.

Speaking with Animals If you cast the spell before wildshaping, your DM may allow you greater chance of say convincing animals to allow the group passage, attack someone else, etc. Take the form of a horse and convince the enemy horses to follow you out of the camp.

etc.

nerfninja
2018-01-27, 09:43 PM
When I played a druid some of the animals I loved were:

Giant toad. 20' long jump, 40' swim, and swallow whole. Good damage too. Cast Jump beforehand for extra fun.
Giant bat. Blindsight and flight, big enough to carry someone.
Giant lizard. Strong, and a good climb speed.
Giant owl for flight and tracking (adv on sight and hearing checks).
Warhorse. High move, high hit bonus, knocks prone.
Giant constrictor. Swim speed and grappling.
Earth elemental (eventually). Strong, high CON, resistant to damage, earthstride.

-NN

hymer
2018-01-28, 05:17 AM
Good suggestions so far. I haven't seen anyone maentioning steeders from OotA. The female steeder can jump 90', and is CR 1. It can deal with a lot of flight issues before you get to actually fly in wild shape.

Citan
2018-01-28, 09:43 AM
Hi OP, thanks for opening the thread, and thanks all for the feedbacks here. I think the posts from Temperjoke and BW022 nailed it good. ;)

When I play a Druid (whether as a player or as a neutral NPC) one of my favorite trick is having him stay as long as possible in an animal form, so that the world around gets convinced that is actually, just an animal.

For example, a low-life Druid and Ranger doing shady business, the latter posing as a traveling merchant, the former being the draft horse that pulls the cart.

Or I may be the hawk familiar of a renowned Battlemaster that happens to be renowned as an animal trainer for police/military uses (I'm actually doing the work ^^). Of course your really identity is revealed in time, but it allows for great turns of tides usually. ^^

Besides that... Basically what everyone else said.
Being able to play with people's preconceptions about their surrounding environment is great way to circumvent problems or get information, provided your DM is "playing with you".

Of course, this wouldn't work as well against groups that are aware of the existence of shapeshifters. ;)

samcifer
2018-01-28, 01:47 PM
Well I'll be making use of it sooner rather than later since my character died during last night's session - not because I intentionally killed him off, but because we started off 500' away from a night-shrouded fortress with a spotlight and gattling gun turrets and the only way I could be useful was to dash forward several turns with invisibility active by quickening it then quickening Eldritch Blast with 300' reach from Eldritch Spear EE and Was gunned down after taking out the spotlight. At least I had a really cool play (best play of the night) during the previous battle against raiders at sea on skidoos attacking our ship and when they lit greek firebombs to throw their next turn, I magic missiled three of them and killed the trio instantly. :) Oh well, now I can focus on a character I'll be able to play better who gives me the variety I want.

As for the suggestions, I took all but the one involving that $50 third party brand book of beasts as I have a parking violation to pay off due to having to park on the street during a snow storm and got penalized for it. Thanks for the advice and feel free to add more if you think of them or have other tips I can use as this will be my first-ever druid character (well, character who multiclassed into Druid.) At next level I'll be at Moon Druid lv. 2 (and lv. 5 Light cleric for a lv. 7 character as we can start new characters at the same level and xp as ones who die on us for party-level consistency).

Dalebert
2018-01-28, 02:50 PM
Once you're level 8, changing into something with flyby is a free disengage. I had a DM spend a bunch of creatures turns to dash up to my druid and surround him. I cast Conjure Animals and summoned a couple dire wolves. Then I bonus action wildshaped into a quetzlcoatl to fly away without an opportunity attack.

sambojin
2018-01-28, 03:38 PM
It turns out EVERY moon druid got attacked by female steeders somewhere near the mountain caves while picking berries, where they also noticed a crag cat, sometime in the misty depths of their backstory. On the way back, they saw a giant badger, spider and eagle, as well as all their combat forms. And some other suspiciously useful stuff like giant scorpions. It was a big forest, interspersed with plains and deserts. There was even a giant squid fighting a shark and a killer whale that time they went fishing.....

But yeah, all those beasts are good. Backstory them in :D

(you can make some pretty BS backstories for druids to explain why they respect the power of nature and why they went down the path of the moon. Those stories incidentally give you all the tools you need. It's gotta be better than "So I decided UN/HOLY VENGEANCE was the answer to all my problems!", which accounts for lots of other character's backstories. There's also a disturbing amount of sailors about for some reason, so why not you?)

samcifer
2018-01-28, 03:52 PM
Once you're level 8, changing into something with flyby is a free disengage. I had a DM spend a bunch of creatures turns to dash up to my druid and surround him. I cast Conjure Animals and summoned a couple dire wolves. Then I bonus action wildshaped into a quetzlcoatl to fly away without an opportunity attack.

That'll be awhile. I'm starting him as Light Cleric 5 / Moon Druid 1 and soon to hit MD 2 as we're close to hitting level 7. I'll focus on leveling up Druid to 8, then go back to Cleric to get it to 9, then likely level up the rest of the way as Druid.

danpit2991
2018-01-28, 07:09 PM
cat, rat, beetle, mouse, monkey, squirrel, rabbit, scorpion, gazzelle, horse, mule, donkey, hummingbird, pigeon, crow, seal, sealion, fish, snake, flea, dog, badger, frog, newt, sheep ,cow, goat

basically anything that wouldnt make someone look twice and has the movement ability required