PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Spirit effect for an Eidolon?

Avigor
2018-01-27, 11:59 PM
The Summoner class has a variant called the Spirit Summoner (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/Summoner/archetypes/paizo-summoner-archetypes/spirit-summoner) that trades the Summon Monster spells for the benefits of a Shaman Spirit (www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/shaman/#Spirits). My question is, would there be any major game breaking effects or combinations (such as between a Spirit effect and an Evolution) possible if one were to apply the Spirit benefits to the Eidolon, instead of to the Summoner as the RAW seems to be? For now, let's focus on what's in the PFSRD and listed as coming from Paizo, but feel free to let me know of any other possibilities if you know of any.

I'm asking because a lot of those abilities feel too gishy to me, and the others just don't fit what I have in mind (I don't want to be a healer, for example), so I thought I would ask the playground if they can see any obvious reasons that such a change could completely throw off the game balance.

Florian
2018-01-28, 07:20 AM
Well, keep in mind that the Shaman only uses a regular familiar, so the spirit abilities are self-buffs for the shaman by necessity. An Eidolon is already very powerful, even when using an Unchained Summoner, so adding the spirit abilities to it verges on overkill.

MindTheGap97
2018-01-29, 05:48 AM
The Summoner class has a variant called the Spirit Summoner (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/Summoner/archetypes/paizo-summoner-archetypes/spirit-summoner) that trades the Summon Monster spells for the benefits of a Shaman Spirit (www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/shaman/#Spirits). My question is, would there be any major game breaking effects or combinations (such as between a Spirit effect and an Evolution) possible if one were to apply the Spirit benefits to the Eidolon, instead of to the Summoner as the RAW seems to be? For now, let's focus on what's in the PFSRD and listed as coming from Paizo, but feel free to let me know of any other possibilities if you know of any.

I'm asking because a lot of those abilities feel too gishy to me, and the others just don't fit what I have in mind (I don't want to be a healer, for example), so I thought I would ask the playground if they can see any obvious reasons that such a change could completely throw off the game balance.

It is the Summoner that gets the Spirit abilities, not the Eidolon, the Eidolon simply has to adhere to the theme of the spirit but does not gain any benefit from it and for good reason I think, if it were the Eidolon to get the powers it would get messy very quickly, especially with the Mammoth Spirit, having the Eidolon gain even more Strength could make it incredibly dangerous, even more than it already is. So yes, there are potentially broken abilities if the Eidolon gains the bonuses of the spirits.