PDA

View Full Version : How to represent a giant?

Skjaldbakka
2007-08-26, 03:50 AM
What would you say the best way would be to mechanically represent a really big, strong human? Like Andre the Giant? I have an NPC that I am righting up that needs to be a big guy along those lines. Originally he was a character in a World of Darkness game, which has the Huge Size merit, which makes things easy. How to do that in D20 though . . ?

What I have so far:

-Make him a human that is Large size, with a +2 racial bonus to strength.
-Give him powerful build
-Give him goliath stats, and just pull the fluff and call him an abnormal human.
-Just prioritize strength and con.

Also, are there any ways to increase your ability to break down doors without rage?

Are there any feats that represent having a high pain tolerance? The WoD character had maxxed out Iron Stamina, but I can't think of a similar mechanic in D20.

Dhavaer
2007-08-26, 03:56 AM
Also, are there any ways to increase your ability to break down doors without rage?

The Dead Levels articles gave the Fighter several abilities to choose from at every even level (possibly excluding level 1, I don't remember for sure), one of which gave a +1 to all strength checks every time it was taken.

Skjaldbakka
2007-08-26, 03:58 AM
The Dead Levels articles

Que? Could you provide a link? I have not heard of these articles.

Actana
2007-08-26, 03:58 AM
I'd make him a half-giant without any psionic abilities.

And for feats, there is the diehard feat that lets you take actions while between -1 to -9.

Can't think of anything else on the fly.

AslanCross
2007-08-26, 03:59 AM
Andre the Giant was 6'10", which is still medium as far as D20 goes. (Gnolls that reach up to 7'6" still count as Medium)

The Monster Manual shows that a size increase of even just one category gives an immediate +8 to Strength. o_o

If you want to make him over 9 feet tall (which gives him Large size), I think Goliath stats would be fine.

Dhavaer
2007-08-26, 04:00 AM
Que? Could you provide a link? I have not heard of these articles.

Dead Levels 1 (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20061013a). A Fighter 19 could take Applied Force 9 times, getting +9 to a Strength check to break or burst an object.

Skjaldbakka
2007-08-26, 04:03 AM
Sweet, Half-Giant gets bonuses against fire effects too. Since Oscar was a firefighter, that works great. I just have to pull the psionic stuff out.

Townopolis
2007-08-26, 04:05 AM
I'm pretty sure there's no way feats-wise to represent a high pain tolerance, this is because pain-tolerance is never an issue, all characters can get the snot kicked out of them 10 times a day, 7 days a week, in the most inhumane ways possible and still be completely chipper.

As for an Andre the Giant type character, yeah, I'd go with goliath stats and just pull the fluff. Or just +4 STR +2 CON and powerful build. A really high strength will not only help him bash down doors, it will allow him to carry loads worthy of a large creature as well.

Skjaldbakka
2007-08-26, 04:17 AM
I think Diehard is the best D20 mechanic for me to use to represent a high pain tolerance. That and a high CON.

AtomicKitKat
2007-08-26, 05:13 AM
Well, the Feat Jotunbrud is supposed to just up your size minimums/maximums(still Medium, same die sizes, just different bases). I think it gives a couple bonuses, without the bigger weapons deal of Powerful Build.

MrNexx
2007-08-26, 03:15 PM
Well, the Feat Jotunbrud is supposed to just up your size minimums/maximums(still Medium, same die sizes, just different bases). I think it gives a couple bonuses, without the bigger weapons deal of Powerful Build.

That's the one I was thinking of. IIRC, it makes you count as bigger when that would help you for opposed checks.

Cybren
2007-08-26, 03:23 PM
Prioritize strength and con.

There, done. Not everything has to be handled with a new mechanic. 18 strength is really good. I imagine that a very large person is really strong
Woo.

Skjaldbakka
2007-08-26, 07:54 PM
There, done. Not everything has to be handled with a new mechanic. 18 strength is really good. I imagine that a very large person is really strong
Woo.

Not anymore. In the world of 32 point buy (which most people seem to use), 18 is just strong, not really strong. Similarly, 8, which used to be 'low', is now 'dump stat'.

Having an 18 strength isn't particularly strong especially considering the prevalence of races with bonuses to strength, and the ability to rage.

You typical (PC) half-orc barbarian hits a 24 strength at level 1 for 3+ rnds when raging.

That and 18 strength is normal human maximum. This guy is supposed to be extraordinary. Having something extra seems appropriate. I also don't see how any new mechanics have been suggested.

"Use this race"
"Use this feat"
"Use this supplemental material"

Matthew
2007-08-26, 07:59 PM
Yep, more importantly, it is relatively easy to breach 18, whereas in the past it was next to impossible.

Rex Blunder
2007-08-26, 09:01 PM
Also, Andre might have been stronger than str 18. A character with str 18 can pick up 300 pounds, or pick up and stagger around with 600 pounds.

Andre is said to have been able to pick up small cars (I don't know how much a small car weighs: 2000 pounds?) And I think he picked up and threw a 300-pound guy out of a ring once, and got some pretty good lift, too. I'm guessing he might be at least strength 24.

Hey, he can't help it if he's the biggest and the strongest. (etc)

AtomicKitKat
2007-08-27, 12:31 AM
Paul Wight(Big Show) is about the same size as Andre(A little bigger, in fact), and I believe he tipped an SUV over on its side(Granted, it was done in a manner which any reasonably non-disabled adult male should be able to, by rocking, but still). Assuming that's in the vicinity of 6000 pounds(quick google), you need to be able to exert about 4000 pounds of pressure using both hands against the roof? Alternately, he could probably move it if harnessed like an oxen(remember that non-braked wheels lighten the effective load though), so he can drag maybe 3000 lbs?

Edit: Looking at the table, favourable conditions double, so he can drag 3000 lbs. Since that's 5* your maximum load, it gives a maximum load of 600 lbs, so he would be just a little over 20 Strength. About 23 maybe. He looks "Barbaric" enough, so that's probably 18+1 from being a Level 4 Warrior, +4 from Barbarian Rage.

Quietus
2007-08-27, 01:32 AM
What about just getting high strength and con, and see if your DM will let you buy Powerful Build as a feat?