PDA

View Full Version : Duel wielding swords

Drakekonik
2018-01-28, 05:19 AM
Hi everybody what's the best type of swords for duel wielding I only know of shortswords scimitars rapiers and broadswords plz help me

hymer
2018-01-28, 05:38 AM
Hi everybody what's the best type of swords for duel wielding I only know of shortswords scimitars rapiers and broadswords plz help me

Well, according to Matt Easton (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qJBGlChcXU), the rapier is the best sword for an unarmoured duel. I think he's right. As he points out, this is what the rapier was developed for.
In D&D, of course, the best sword for a duel is the one you're most likely to hit and do the most damage with. So it depends on your proficiencies, your ability scores, and your class abilities.

Lalliman
2018-01-28, 06:01 AM
If you have martial weapon proficiency, which I assume you do, you use shortswords or scimitars. They're the same.

If you have the Dual Wielder feat, you can use longswords or rapiers instead. They're the same for dual-wielding purposes, except that longswords can't be wielded with Dexterity. However, the Dual Wielder feat isn't really worthwhile unless your DM enforces the dumb rule that you can only draw one weapon at a time.

Broadswords don't exist in D&D, last time I checked.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-01-28, 07:42 AM
Broadswords don't exist in D&D, last time I checked.

I would consider the 'longsword' to cover broadswords, bastard swords, katanas, etc. The weapons in the PHB are more like groups of weapons than precise specifications.

But for the OP, the default swords for dual wielding are shortswords (piercing) or scimitars (slashing), unless you take the feat, in which case it's rapiers (piercing) or longswords (slashing).

Zanthy1
2018-01-28, 08:57 AM
If you take the feat and are capable of going Str based then I would recommend longsword over rapier. Simply for the fact that if you ever lose one of your weapons, you can make use of that versatile feature.

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-01-28, 09:12 AM
I think there's also a case to be made for going with two different swords. If you have for example a longsword and a rapier one of them does slashing damage, the other piercing. This is the prime benefit of the idea, since you can attack monsters immune to either type of damage. In very specific situations it may help that the longsword is versatile and can be used two handed for more damage, like to overcome damage resistance, while the rapier is a finesse weapon and can say be handed to a high dex ally to use effectively or be used after your strength gets lowered somehow (I don't think 5e has a lot of options for that, but you never know). To further the theme get different enhancements/enchantments on the blades when you get to that point. A silver longsword and a flaming rapier would be a pretty ridiculous looking combo, but pretty good for dealing with damage resistant monsters and regenerating trolls (although admittedly just plain two flaming swords would probably be better, because magic is always better). The exact preferable combination depends on exactly what options you would like to have, so just scroll through the list and think about it.

Unoriginal
2018-01-28, 09:42 AM
Can't you use a rapier in one hand and a short sword in the other, without the feat?

djreynolds
2018-01-28, 09:45 AM
I recently made and ran a human duel wielding ranger(not very original), but strength based. Thanks to the Forum member for their wonderful advice

I grabbed that new human prodigy and took expertise in athletics. At 4th level took dual weidler

At 5th level I had three attacks (2 attacks and a bonus attack) and I used my first attack as an athletics check to prone an opponent, as good as say using the shield master feat, and then I would hit away with my battle axe and warhammer.

What I like about a strength base dual wielder

1. Almost all weapons are at your disposal because you are strength based, aside from bows and slings

2. Versatile weapons really are the most common type for magic weapons

3. Thrown weapons are actually really useful. You can have use any combination aside from heavy weapons

4. A lot of the ranger spells like lightning arrow, conjure barrage can use an arrow, bolt or thrown weapon

5. Sometimes you need a magic weapon and your douche bag DM drops a magic greatsword.... well you can't use it with TWF... but you can still use it because you are still strength based

So I actually find a strength based dual wielder to very versatile in terms of being able to use almost any weapon.

DivisibleByZero
2018-01-28, 10:16 AM
Can't you use a rapier in one hand and a short sword in the other, without the feat?

Use? Yes, assuming you have Extra Attack, you use one attack each.

You cannot obtain a TWF bonus action attack with those two weapons unless you have the feat. Without the feat, they both have to be Light weapons, and the rapier is not.

Wryte
2018-01-28, 10:40 AM

No. Both weapons have to be light to use TWF without the feat.

To the OP, there are four kinds of swords you can potentially dual wield: shortswords, scimitars, rapiers, and longswords. Which one is best depends on a few factors.

1: What do you have proficiency with?
The most important thing, of course, is what can you actually wield effectively at the most basic level? Dual wielding two swords you don't have a proficiency bonus with is basically just wasting your bonus action every turn to miss three attack rolls instead of just two.

Sword
Barbarian
Bard
Cleric
Druid
Fighter
Monk
Paladin
Ranger
Rogue
Sorcerer
Warlock
Wizard

Longword
X
X*
X*

X
X*
X
X
X

X*
X*

Rapier
X
X*
X*

X
X*
X
X
X

X*
X*

Scimitar
X
X*
X*
X
X
X*
X
X

X*
X*

Shortsword
X
X*
X*

X
X
X
X
X

X*
X*

* Classes which can receive proficiency in this weapon type through archetype features.

You can also gain proficiency with swords in a couple different ways. The easiest is playing an elf: All elves have racial proficiency with shortswords, while High and Wood elves also have proficiency with longswords, and Drow have additional proficiency with rapiers.

The Weapon Master feat is also an option, allowing you choose four weapons to gain proficiency in, but I don't recommend it. If you're playing any class that doesn't already have proficiency with the weapons you want, it's generally better just to take a 1 level multiclass dip into Fighter to get proficiency in all weapons, plus a few other useful goodies like a fighting style and Second Wind.

2: Do you have the Dual Wielder feat?
The dual wielder feat allows you to dual wield non-Light weapons, and without it, you can only use dual wielding with weapons with the Light property. Shortswords and scimitars both have the Light property; rapiers and longswords do not. Thus, without the Dual Wielder feat, your choices are restricted to shortswords or scimitars.

3: Are you playing a Strength build or a Dexterity build?
Rapiers, scimitars, and shortswords have the Finesse property, which allows them to use Dexterity instead of Strength for their attack and damage rolls, while longswords instead have the Versatile property, which lets them be wielded two-handed for more damage. If you are planning a Dex-based build, longswords are an inferior choice.

3 Addendum: Are you playing a Rogue?
Rogues' Sneak Attack feature is their main source of damage, and it specifically only works with Ranged or Finesse weapons, which means longswords are incompatible.

4: Result
Once you've narrowed it down to which swords you're actually capable of dual wielding effectively through the above criteria, the choice is pretty straight-forward.

1d8: Rapiers and Longswords have the same damage die. Use a rapier if you're a rogue or using a Dexterity build, as longswords are incompatible. If you are using a Strength build, longswords are slightly more beneficial due to their Versatile property allowing you to use one with both hands for a 1d10 damage die if you ever find yourself without your second blade.

1d6: Scimitars are more expensive shortswords (25gp vs 10GP). If cost is not an issue (choosing a standard starting package) and you have proficiency with both, the only significant difference is that scimitars do slashing damage while shortswords do piercing. Pick whichever type you like better.

Specter
2018-01-28, 11:10 AM
Another option is Rapier + Dagger, or Longsword + Handaxe. That way you'll do a little less damage, but you have a thrown weapon for when you're out of reach from your opponent.

Citan
2018-01-28, 11:19 AM
I recently made and ran a human duel wielding ranger(not very original), but strength based. Thanks to the Forum member for their wonderful advice

I grabbed that new human prodigy and took expertise in athletics. At 4th level took dual weidler

At 5th level I had three attacks (2 attacks and a bonus attack) and I used my first attack as an athletics check to prone an opponent, as good as say using the shield master feat, and then I would hit away with my battle axe and warhammer.

What I like about a strength base dual wielder

1. Almost all weapons are at your disposal because you are strength based, aside from bows and slings

2. Versatile weapons really are the most common type for magic weapons

3. Thrown weapons are actually really useful. You can have use any combination aside from heavy weapons

4. A lot of the ranger spells like lightning arrow, conjure barrage can use an arrow, bolt or thrown weapon

5. Sometimes you need a magic weapon and your douche bag DM drops a magic greatsword.... well you can't use it with TWF... but you can still use it because you are still strength based

So I actually find a strength based dual wielder to very versatile in terms of being able to use almost any weapon.
Bolded part: you made me laugh at that one... Maybe it's a DM's secret wish to see some players try other tactics? Agreed though, if he NEVER offers some fitting loot that would be a kinda **** move.

Italic part: "... And the ability to always maximize the tryptic 'self-protection' / 'enemy harm' / 'allies support' by using whatever combination of weapon attack / grapple / shove / move is best to deal damage and help party without putting one-self as much danger as a GWM user for example." ^^

djreynolds
2018-01-28, 12:20 PM
Bolded part: you made me laugh at that one... Maybe it's a DM's secret wish to see some players try other tactics? Agreed though, if he NEVER offers some fitting loot that would be a kinda **** move.

Italic part: "... And the ability to always maximize the tryptic 'self-protection' / 'enemy harm' / 'allies support' by using whatever combination of weapon attack / grapple / shove / move is best to deal damage and help party without putting one-self as much danger as a GWM user for example." ^^

You know it true, the whole party is archers and wizards with 8s in strength and the DM gives you the Maul of the Titans.

And the DM says, "Well you can always sell it.... if you make it out of the Undermountain Alive."

And the players say in unison, "No more free pizza for you.... including the slice you are currently eating!!!!"

Citan
2018-01-28, 12:24 PM
You know it true, the whole party is archers and wizards with 8s in strength and the DM gives you the Maul of the Titans.

And the DM says, "Well you can always sell it.... if you make it out of the Undermountain Alive."

And the players say in unison, "No more free pizza for you.... including the slice you are currently eating!!!!"
Maybe it was a bad reaction to the DM's hopelessness of having all his encounters trumped down because you always win before his creatures manage to reach you in melee, and try and entice you to switch to pure melee character to force your team to try new ways to play?

Or he just decided to troll you because "well, it's not like they need magic weapons anyways, they are good enough as it is"? :)

djreynolds
2018-01-28, 12:43 PM
Maybe it was a bad reaction to the DM's hopelessness of having all his encounters trumped down because you always win before his creatures manage to reach you in melee, and try and entice you to switch to pure melee character to force your team to try new ways to play?

Or he just decided to troll you because "well, it's not like they need magic weapons anyways, they are good enough as it is"? :)

I think he did it to teach us a lesson, Sharp shooting everything to death and spamming bless and inspirations

It was definitely on purpose.

Its why I really like that strength based duel wielder ranger that you suggested for Storm Kings' Thunder.... it fun picking up any weapon

Citan
2018-01-28, 01:08 PM
I think he did it to teach us a lesson, Sharp shooting everything to death and spamming bless and inspirations

It was definitely on purpose.

Its why I really like that strength based duel wielder ranger that you suggested for Storm Kings' Thunder.... it fun picking up any weapon
(Next step: convincing your DM to let you throw that two-handed heavy weapon, thanks to the help of that Wizard that Enlarges you so big that it actually becomes a one-handed weapon XD).