PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Doc. Oct.

SangoProduction
2018-01-28, 07:16 AM
In SoM, the Technician can create a Mechanical Arm independent invention (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/technician#toc151), which is basically a glorified slam attack. Still cool, but eh.
But, as an improvement, it can be as the following:

The invention gains a second arm and a second slam attack. These arms are capable of performing delicate tasks such as handling shields and weapons or performing Dexterity-based skills.
This doesn't grant additional actions (but maybe extra natural attacks on full attack action), but would it allow you to dual wield two handed weapons, since you've now got 4 arms (or at least, have the invention wield a two handed weapon and you wield one too). I am correct to presume that the mechanical arms would be considered off-hands?

Further, you can use them in more passive ways like having extra thrown weapons at the ready, and holding a shield, correct?

Fizban
2018-01-28, 10:35 AM
Unless Pathfinder has a significant changes from 3.5, yeah that should all work. Normally a creature with more than two arms would take Multiweapon Fighting instead of Two Weapon Fighting, but if you gain extra arms after taking TWF then you can just put more hands on your primary and off hands. The rules for fighting with two weapons don't actually care how many hands you have- gaining more than one "off-hand" requires Multiweapon fighting. Either way, more hands means you can hold more stuff, which can save you actions even if you don't get extra actions.

Pleh
2018-01-28, 11:06 AM
Pedantry: Doc Oct had 4 mechanical arms to give him 8 appendages.

Maybe if you played a 4 armed race?

SangoProduction
2018-01-28, 12:20 PM
Pedantry: Doc Oct had 4 mechanical arms to give him 8 appendages.

Maybe if you played a 4 armed race?

You can make the independent invention multiple times, to my understanding.

Pleh
2018-01-28, 01:03 PM
I don't play PF, I just didn't see the extra arms being mentioned anywhere.

It was kinda critical to Doc Oct's design that he had two arms that would brace against the ground like legs. I know RAW doesn't work that way (and the comics often ignored it as well), but the reference to the character made it hard to ignore

Psyren
2018-01-28, 02:51 PM
I don't play PF, I just didn't see the extra arms being mentioned anywhere.

It was kinda critical to Doc Oct's design that he had two arms that would brace against the ground like legs. I know RAW doesn't work that way (and the comics often ignored it as well), but the reference to the character made it hard to ignore

That's not hard to represent mechanically - just give him a climb speed and a bonus to his land speed as long as at least two of the mechanical arms are unoccupied. That those two have to be the bottom two is fluff.

Pleh
2018-01-28, 03:05 PM
That's not hard to represent mechanically - just give him a climb speed and a bonus to his land speed as long as at least two of the mechanical arms are unoccupied. That those two have to be the bottom two is fluff.

If we're taking it that far, I'd also add that "while two arms are unoccupied, count as one size larger for lifting capacity"

Almost like having a Passive Enlarge Person for strength purposes as long as two are free to brace.