PDA

View Full Version : What's the most deadly class for assassinations?

Throne12
2018-01-28, 07:52 AM
My party has done something and have wanted posters. They just got on a ship to sail to a different lands. I'm having bounty hunter assassin follow them on board. He will spend a few days watching them and sizing them up before striking at night one on one. There will be clues for the party can pick up on to figure something is not right.

So I'm having a tough time coming up with what class to use warlock, sorcerer, wizard, or rogue. Level 14.

Unoriginal
2018-01-28, 07:59 AM
My party has done something and have wanted posters. They just got on a ship to sail to a different lands. I'm having bounty hunter assassin follow them on board. He will spend a few days watching them and sizing them up before striking at night one on one. There will be clues for the party can pick up on to figure something is not right.

So I'm having a tough time coming up with what class to use warlock, sorcerer, wizard, or rogue. Level 14.

You could use the Assassin NPC statblock. With a bit of change if you think they're a bit too weak (though at CR 8 they wouldn't be far from a lvl 14 PC).

KOLE
2018-01-28, 08:09 AM
I would personally say the actual Assassin class, or Gloom Stalker Ranger. Boost their dex to get them first in initiative to really get your PCs sweating. Magic casters as opponents can be terrifying because NPCs generally dont have to worry about spell slots, so they really can let em’ have em’.

Or, just use the Assassin NPC as suggested. Season and fluff to taste.

Dyndrilliac
2018-01-28, 08:10 AM
I agree with Unoriginal. The Assassin NPC as written in the original printing of the Monster Manual was so good it got slightly nerfed in later printings. There is an encounter in Hoard of the Dragon Queen where you fight several of them at once at a relatively low level (~6ish, if memory serves) and there was a giant uproar because anyone who tried to run the encounter as written ran into one-shotted PCs and TPKs. So it's definitely got the danger factor you're looking for.

Throne12
2018-01-28, 08:25 AM
My group is all at 7th level and rolled really good and are powergamer (trying to get the most for there buck). There are 6 of them and last session one of them solo a Aboleth. So they are punching way above there wait class.

JackPhoenix
2018-01-28, 08:29 AM
I agree with Unoriginal. The Assassin NPC as written in the original printing of the Monster Manual was so good it got slightly nerfed in later printings. There is an encounter in Hoard of the Dragon Queen where you fight several of them at once at a relatively low level (~6ish, if memory serves) and there was a giant uproar because anyone who tried to run the encounter as written ran into one-shotted PCs and TPKs. So its definitely got the danger factor you're looking for.

It was the other way. Assassin was buffed after HotDQ was printed, meaning that what was originally supposed to be balanced encounter turned out to be much more dangerous. Perils of releasing the adventure when MM wasn't out yet.

Unoriginal
2018-01-28, 08:36 AM
My group is all at 7th level and rolled really good and are powergamer (trying to get the most for there buck). There are 6 of them and last session one of them solo a Aboleth. So they are punching way above there wait class.

How did a level 7 PC kill an Aboleth alone?

Also, you were not talking about a fight, you were talking about an assassination where the killer would pick them up one by one.

Lolzyking
2018-01-28, 09:09 AM
Well a team can perform an assassination much better than a loner.

Two man team
The spotter
Divination wizard Locates targets, waits it out with his partner until he see's the targets death (gets a 20 on his daily dice), uses spells to get his killer into position.

The killer
Paladin 2/sword bard , Prepares a bonus action smite before combat at highest slot, divine smites with a max damage slot, Sword flourishes

Throne12
2018-01-28, 09:11 AM
How did a level 7 PC kill an Aboleth alone?

Also, you were not talking about a fight, you were talking about an assassination where the killer would pick them up one by one.

Well the sorcerer did get one 5th lv magic missile off on it. But a Arcane archer is stronger then people give it Credit.

Throne12
2018-01-28, 09:52 AM
I got it a Divination wizard and a tricky cleric duo.

Unoriginal
2018-01-28, 10:02 AM
There is a Diviner NPC in the Volo's

Lombra
2018-01-28, 10:15 AM
I mean rogue assassin has it in the name, and it's pretty good at assassinating. At level 14 it has high chances of being mundanely undetectable and to one shot a level 7 PC. He probably would use a kind of poison, maybe snake poison that deals 3d6 on a CON 11 check for half damage, or drow poison. Assuming a dagger because who cares about base damage when playing an assassin: (5+1d4+7d6) × 2 ~ 64 average damage with additional poison chance, assuming that the fighter is the one with most HP, he shouldn't have more than 67 HPs (with a +3 CON mod) so a bonus action two weapon fighting attack should end him anyways. That is, if youdon't want to give the character a chance at survving the night assault.

Dyndrilliac
2018-01-28, 10:34 AM
It was the other way. Assassin was buffed after HotDQ was printed, meaning that what was originally supposed to be balanced encounter turned out to be much more dangerous. Perils of releasing the adventure when MM wasn't out yet.

You're partially correct: Assassin was indeed buffed after HotDQ was printed, which was before the final draft of the Player's Handbook was printed and long before the release of the Monster Manual. However, the nerf I was referring to was from the MM errata. The MM errata reduced all of the Assassin' save bonuses, skill bonuses, and attack bonuses by at least 1 (Stealth took a -2 going from 11 to 9).

Either way though, it was a pretty embarrassing screw-up that really tainted the whole first season of organized play.

MrStabby
2018-01-28, 12:12 PM
Wondering if you could pull off an Enchanter Wizard.

Smart enough to plan ahead and with a real focus on turning the party against each other. Bribery of local guards, to lay a trap, then dominating a party member to get advantage in a fight. The enchanter could even infiltrate the party - put himself in a position to be "rescued" by them to infiltrate them and to set the perfect trap.

Malaketh
2018-01-28, 01:10 PM
I don't think an assassin would try anything on a ship. Unless he has a good way to escape. Even if he managed to kill the first target the other PC's would then be on high alert and probably bunk down together. Or I would anyway.

He could watch them on the ship, and have your PC's get comfortable with the fact that they got away with whatever they did.

Once you hit land, then you could start your work. And even then I would just target the "leader" or the most responsible PC.

Sometimes that's enough to scare the others straight. Even if you never target them again....they will think you will.

I know that didn't answer your question about what class, but the others here did a bang up job with that. Figured I'd just throw my 2 cp in. Sometimes the atmosphere you create is better than the actual actions you take.

XmonkTad
2018-01-28, 02:01 PM
Wondering if you could pull off an Enchanter Wizard.

Smart enough to plan ahead and with a real focus on turning the party against each other. Bribery of local guards, to lay a trap, then dominating a party member to get advantage in a fight. The enchanter could even infiltrate the party - put himself in a position to be "rescued" by them to infiltrate them and to set the perfect trap.

I like this idea. An assassin that's more bard/enchanter than rogue. Uses disguises to get on the boat, and magic mind-control to sabotage everything they're up to. Lay a few glyphs with mean suggestions in them, that sort of thing.

gryffydd65
2018-01-28, 02:11 PM
Druid call lighting the ship in the middle of the ocean and then water elementals for mop up.

HMS Invincible
2018-01-28, 02:43 PM
Druid call lighting the ship in the middle of the ocean and then water elementals for mop up.

That's like saying a cleric is an assassin because be casts storms of vengeance from a mile away.

GreatWyrmGold
2018-01-28, 02:51 PM
You could use the Assassin NPC statblock.
As much as this fits your username, it's a solid suggestion. The obvious answer is obvious for a reason.

That's like saying a cleric is an assassin because be casts storms of vengeance from a mile away.
Hey, whatever works. Though storm of vengeance is a bit less subtle than destroying a ship on the high seas.

MxKit
2018-01-28, 05:09 PM
I don't think an assassin would try anything on a ship. Unless he has a good way to escape.

This sounds like a good excuse to use a race that has a natural swim speed and the ability to breathe underwater/hold their breath. Half-Elf (Half-Aquatic Elf variant), Water Genasi, Lizardfolk, Triton?

Or just an Assassin 9/Hexblade 5 with the Gift of the Depths invocation among others. Charisma higher than any other stat, which also helps the Assassin disguise features. Use poison, use hex, use Hexblade's Curse.

Either way, having it so they can bug out and jump off the ship if necessary is way too useful.

(Alternately, go Swashbuckler 10/Druid 4. Just as much Sneak Attack damage, though no crit from Assassinate and no hex or Hexblade's Curse; in exchange the assassin would be able to freely disengage after their initial attack, and could turn into something inconspicuous. If you don't make it clear what they're fighting, your players might not expect an assassin who can Wild Shape! I'd still make their race one of the ones listed above, too, to give them that extra out without a need to cast spells for it.)

Kane0
2018-01-28, 05:22 PM
Mimicborn (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2016/07/mimicborn.html) Sorcerer using Subtle metamagic. Make him a Changeling too for extra giggles.

Temperjoke
2018-01-28, 05:38 PM
Life cleric npc who offers to come along with them. They'll never see it coming.

Citan
2018-01-28, 07:48 PM

Hi!
Hey, level 14 so no Quivering Palm Open Hand Monk. ^^

GOO Warlock: Create Thrall is a good and easy way to use a third party to keep an eye on them even if you have to move to make some preparations. Paired with Dreams it can be extremely powerful: use a servant at an inn to get some personal affair of each one of the party, then cast it on each member after a tiring day of adventure. Plus it's very thematic.
For the actual confrontation, several tactics are sound: the simplest is probably maintaining Darkness while you spam Agonizing Blast from afar, but don't expect this to work more than one round unless your players are reaaaally stupid or none of them have any spell blocking view (both of which seem fairly improbable to me). So it's a good opening.
After that you'll have to come close enough for other people to try things. You'll still be at advantage though.

Forcecage could be a great way to put down a dangerous foe with low CHA while you take care of others. Then a Hold Person would allow you to quickly dispatch the others (obviously focusing on the ones that made the save first ^^).

Beyond that...
---------------------
An actual Assassin is a very good candidate: you can easily impersonate people either to sneak and make it up close and personal, or manipulate the people around to turn them against the party.

A Shadow Monk is probably the "easiest" way to go: you get most tools you'd like directly at your disposal; Pass Without Trace to sneak, then Silence to murder one without any other hearing (4 attacks on which to pull Stunning Strike: he'd need good saves or great luck not to be stunned).

Second easy would be an Arcane Trickster with boosted casting stat, maybe multiclassed with a caster if needed as long as you get Magical Ambush and Reliable Talent: second to sneak up easy (AND see and disarm traps on the way), the first to impose a deadly upcast Hold Person or Hypnotic Pattern (with a 18 INT, any martial -non proficient, usually +1 at best- would have a DC 8+4+5=17 to beat, at disadvantage, so only 6% chance. A Cleric, the best representative, would have a +10 bonus, but still disadvantage, so only ~50% chance to pass). Unless it's a large party, I'm confident that with a 7d6 Sneak Attack+ Booming Blade autocriting on hit every turn (because Hold Person = paralyzed = crit on any melee hit), in one minute (two if multiclassed Sorcerer), you should be able to kill at the very least 3 people. Bonus point if multiclassed Sorcerer for Extended, Diviner Wizard for also paralyzing pesky Cleric or Evoker Wizard to just blast them out with Fireballs while laughing out loud.

On that topic, if you are ready to go at it violently, a Sorcerer with Extended could heavily harm or maybe outright kill them by dropping a 2-mn long Delayed Blast Fireball if they let him come just a tad closer than 150 feet undetected and unprepared (32d6 makes an average of 112, and you can stack Empowered to up the ant a bit and possibly Draconic bonus on top). I wonder if unconscious characters would be allowed reactions such as Absorb Elements, I'd rule that they don't but actually not sure on RAW here.

Squiddish
2018-01-28, 09:50 PM
Suggestion: Don't just go for assassination, go full slasher movie.
With that in mind, my preferred choices:
Shadow sorcerer. They envelop themselves in a bubble of darkness, have their hound chase any party members that attempt to flee, jump between shadows to avoid being caught, and just generally play hell using all manner of spells. When the survive being "killed" using their strength of the grave ability, they play dead until the players leave and then sneak off to try again another day or just lie low for a while.

Hexblade warlock, with ghostly gaze. Should rely on attacking people through walls whenever possible.

Illusion wizard, trick the players into walking right into assorted traps.

Arcane trickster rogue, use shadow blade to utterly destroy anyone who gets near the shadows and mage hand to snuff light sources. Make the players scared of the dark.

GreatWyrmGold
2018-01-29, 10:21 AM
Mimicborn (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2016/07/mimicborn.html)
It never fails to amaze me how many different kinds of monster D&D characters are wiling to do it with.

Suggestion: Don't just go for assassination, go full slasher movie.
If you're going that route, you might want to deviate from the assumption that the assassin is a normal humanoid being. Perhaps a martial undead with lich-like abilities? The challenge isn't simply that the assassin is sneaky or tough to kill, it's that he keeps coming back (his phylactery substitute was hidden among the ship's cargo, and the assassin destroyed its body when the ship went out to sea). The PCs kill the assassin, and a few days later it's back for more. Eventually, the PCs catch on and start tearing the ship apart, looking for a hint as to how the assassin keeps coming back.
This obviously works best on longer voyages.

Malifice
2018-01-29, 10:34 AM
Why are you going to 'classes' for a threat to PCs?

Just use the Assasin NPC from the MM. Add (or subtract) abilities to taste. Adjust CR accordingly.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-01-29, 11:05 AM

I need to put this in a spoiler incase the_brazenburn wanders by.
So in the campaign i'm currently running I have the almost exact same scenario. The whole dungeon is based in the waters of Sword Coast and their is a sahuagin assassin watching them sent from the kraken society. The sahuagin named Ghald is an assassin with 4 arms, cool right! Sorry I cant find the stats I might be able to get you the stats later but he would be cool to use. other than that i would use a fighter or assassin. You could also go for a magic user who can cast disguise self or a similar spell.

Kane0
2018-01-29, 04:32 PM
It never fails to amaze me how many different kinds of monster D&D characters are wiling to do it with.

It makes more sense if you can shapechange or polymorph.

bc56
2018-01-29, 05:53 PM
15th level Hexblade warlock (yes, a level high) with the Master of Myriad Forms invocation. Shapeshifts to sneak into the ship, attacks each PC individually in their sleep. When he's done, he shifts to aquatic form and jumps overboard.

GreatWyrmGold
2018-01-29, 10:49 PM
It makes more sense if you can shapechange or polymorph.
I said willing, not able. Being able to shapeshift into a mimic does not give you the sex drive of a mimic.
...I assume.

MrStabby
2018-01-30, 08:36 AM
The assassin is an animated object.

The ship itself is the assassin. The ship has senses but cannot readily tell which of the crew/passengers are it's targets.

It isolates and kills, one by one crew. The PCs must follow the clues to determine what has happened (some sending spells might also help) before they are also attacked.

Once the work it out a simple remove curse/dispel magic could solve it - they just need to work it out.

Throne12
2018-01-30, 08:44 AM
The assassin is an animated object.

The ship itself is the assassin. The ship has senses but cannot readily tell which of the crew/passengers are it's targets.

It isolates and kills, one by one crew. The PCs must follow the clues to determine what has happened (some sending spells might also help) before they are also attacked.

Once the work it out a simple remove curse/dispel magic could solve it - they just need to work it out.

First it a kingdom that has a bounty on the party for killing the king. Then Parading the kings dead body around as a zombie. Killed over 100 guards.

Also the party don't have access to remove curse or dispel magic.

adolann
2018-01-30, 09:35 AM
For a 14th level character, I'd go with a half-elf wizard (maybe diviner, maybe necromancer). I'd go one of two ways...

If you actually want it to be likely the characters will have at least one dead, maybe more, you go Diviner. You said a kingdom sent the assassin, so they can afford the best. He/she shows up as a travelling entertainer (you only need 11 levels as Diviner for Magic Jar, so you could even have them be a multiclassed bard to make it more believable, although I'd stick with 14th level wizard). Over the course of the trip, the assassin casts Magic Jar, and possess the least Charismatic character. At this point, you can either have the assassin...

1) Wait until late at night, then strip down and put on shackles with a weight attached. Jump quietly overboard, then switch back to the gem. Character will drown, and if you intentionally bound you hands and feet with some weights, you won't be able to even get to the surface to call for help. Repeat as necessary

2) Use the body to explicitly try to kill one of the other characters. Pretend you are the vengeful spirit of the dead king.

Or possess someone else at random on the boat. Find individual characters, and cast Plane Shift to send them to Hell (or other arbitrarily bad plane of existence). You can do this once a night, so they are slowly driven more paranoid. Always possess someone new, and be judicious in using Modify Memory to make sure the possessed have no idea what is happening.

GreatWyrmGold
2018-01-30, 10:10 AM
1) Wait until late at night, then strip down and put on shackles with a weight attached. Jump quietly overboard, then switch back to the gem. Character will drown, and if you intentionally bound you hands and feet with some weights, you won't be able to even get to the surface to call for help. Repeat as necessary
If you're going to go this route, I'd recommend having this happen at some point when at least one other player character has a chance to see it, just for facilitating good play. Having one player's character vanish because they failed a save doesn't feel good, compared to seeing and trying to save an inexplicably suicidal friend and then trying to understand what's going on.

The magic jar method could be a lot of fun, but you might want to base your first target on whoever's most willing to play along rather than whoever's most susceptible. Having one player roleplay their actions in what seems like a typical shooting-the-breeze scene until he starts attacking the other party members is going to be a lot more memorable than the DM temporarily taking control of a character.

Zene
2018-01-30, 05:43 PM
If you're taking out one sleeping guy at a time at L14, I'd say the most lethal against a sleeping enemy, is (weirdly enough) a Half-Orc Hexblade 11, Paladin 2, Fighter 2. With a poisoned greataxe. The first hit on a sleeping enemy, from 5' away, will be with advantage; and will auto-crit if it does hit. This guy gets the doubled damage of the greataxe, the 5th-level eldritch smite, the 5th-level divine smite, the poison damage, and an extra d12 from half-orc. If they're still alive (and now awake) after that first hit, he can follow up with another 4 greataxe hits (and a couple more smites) to finish them off. Since the greataxe is his pact weapon, there's no trouble sneaking it onto the ship. Disguise self (or Mask of Many Faces invocation) works great to blend into the crowd before or after the hit.

For multiple targets, he can short rest in between to get those spell slots and action surge back. Then move on to the next one.

One of his Feats could be Prodigy, for expertise in Stealth.

If he can have a magic item, a ring of spell storing with a couple Silences and an Expeditious Retreat would be nice.

Kane0
2018-01-30, 05:45 PM
If you're taking out one sleeping guy at a time at L14, I'd say the most lethal against a sleeping enemy, is (weirdly enough) a Half-Orc Hexblade 11, Paladin 2, Fighter 2. With a poisoned greataxe. The first hit on a sleeping enemy, from 5' away, will be with advantage; and will auto-crit if it does hit. This guy gets the doubled damage of the greataxe, the 5th-level eldritch smite, the 5th-level divine smite, the poison damage, and an extra d12 from half-orc. If they're still alive (and now awake) after that first hit, he can follow up with another 4 greataxe hits (and a couple more smites) to finish them off. Since the greataxe is his pact weapon, there's no trouble sneaking it onto the ship. Disguise self (or Mask of Many Faces invocation) works great to blend into the crowd before or after the hit.

For multiple targets, he can short rest in between to get those spell slots and action surge back. Then move on to the next one.

One of his Feats could be Prodigy, for expertise in Stealth.

:smalleek: You monster!

Joe dirt
2018-01-31, 11:22 AM
Assassin with a dip in warlock... mask of many & actor feat & devil sight can go a long way for him to blend in.... He can kill a low level sailor and take his place, He would then try to get the weakest character alone (any caster) or in his sleep to kill then run off as a person on the ship to frame them... if cornered he would use darkness and hide in yhe darkness for an attack... hide, then attack again routine making the fight unfair for anyone unprepared or a doppelganger with levels in assassin should work as well to make people paranoid of each other.

Vogie
2018-01-31, 02:35 PM
Any assassin can be a sea assassin with a single level of Sea Sorcerer.

So a PC built with something like
Sea Sorcerer 1/ Scout Fighter 5/ Assassin Rogue 3
That would allow you to sneak in or around a ship, charm the lookout, get the drop on someone, obliterate them with Surprise round, hitting with Multiple attacks (+action Surge) with Superiority die.

Another option could be
Archfey Blade Warlock 3 (Improved Pact Weapon & Sea Twin's Gift)/ Deep Stalker Ranger 3 / Assassin Rogue 3
free darkvision plus ability to ignore the darkvision abilities of those on the ship, charm the lookout, magical appearing +1 weapons (which sounds perfect for a swimming stalker) and the actual attack will be, Hex, Surprise round, and an Extra attack during first turn. You'll get Disguise Self + 3 other level 1 ranger spells.