PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Artifact for Paladin King. PEACH.

KingWhipsy
2018-01-28, 08:34 AM
This is the newest item i've come up with for my dwarf king and it's based heavily off of the Axe of Dwarvish Lords. Let me know what you think and what you would change. Thanks!

Justice:

Weapon (Mace), Artifact (requires attunement by a Lawful Good Dwarf)

It is said that Justice was forged by Moradin himself, used to battle the gods of evil and earn his race a place in Anthera. When the time came he sealed Justice deep down in the earth to protect it until it was needed. As the Dwarf race grew and evolved an evil grew within a number of their souls; these evil Dwarves, known as Duergar, began to oppose the throne and create trouble. It is said that Moradin spoke to the dwarven king in a dream and led him to the resting place of Justice, with this new powerful weapon the king was able to lead his army against the Duergar and regain order and law within the kingdom. The Duergar were banished deep within the mountains and as long as Justice remains in the king’s control Moradin will help protect the throne.

Magic Weapon. Justice is a magic weapon that grants a +3 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with it. The mace also functions as a Rod of Rulership, Flame Tongue, and a Dwarven Thrower.

Random Properties. The mace has the following randomly determined properties.

-2 minor beneficial properties
While attuned to the mace, you can use an action to cast Lesser Restoration (2nd-level) from it. After you cast the spell, roll a d6. On a roll of 1-5 you can’t cast it again until the next dawn.
While attuned to the mace, you gain proficiency in Insight checks.
-1 major beneficial property
While attuned to the mace, you can use an action to cast Death Ward (4th-level) from it. After you cast the spell, roll a d6. On a roll of 1-5 you can’t cast it again until the next dawn.
-2 minor detrimental properties
While attuned to the mace, nonmagical flames are extinguished within 30 feet of you.
While you are attuned to the mace, other creatures can’t take short or long rests while within 300 feet of you.

Blessings of Moradin. If you are a cleric or paladin attuned to the mace, you gain the following benefits.
Justice can be used as your holy symbol for the purpose of a spellcasting focus.
You gain an additional use of your channel divinity before requiring a short or long rest.
You gain proficiency with smith’s tools, brewer’s supplies, and a healer’s kit.

Higher Power. If you are holding the mace, you can cast the Commune spell from it, calling on Moradin for guidance. You can’t use this property again until the next dawn.

Travel the Depths. You can use an action to touch the mace to a fixed piece of dwarven stonework and cast the teleport spell from the mace. If your intended destination is underground, there is no chance of a mishap or arriving somewhere unexpected. You can’t use this property again until 3 days have passed.

Destroying the Mace. The only way to destroy the mace is to seal it away deep within the earth where it will, over time, become one with the rock around it. This process in total takes 500 years.

KingWhipsy
2018-02-02, 07:46 AM
Bumping for feedback.

SilverStud
2018-02-03, 07:35 AM
Hard to give feedback on something like this. It seems to be exactly what you say it is: the combination of three other items, with some random attributes and a couple extra spells. It's a nice mace, I guess.

I'm assuming that the major/minor properties are rolled from a DMG table, since you included them with those labels, and because they don't seem to fit very well with the lore.

Why did Moradin forge a weapon that would cause the wielder (presumably one of his best followers) and company to not be able to rest? Why would he make his holy artifact put out all the fires nearby?

Other than that though, what do you want anyone to comment on? As I pointed out above, it's just three items stuck into one.

Angelalex242
2018-02-04, 08:33 AM
Putting out fires is especially odd since Moradin, and dwarves in general, like smithing...so this thing puts out their forge fires...