PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Brawler Build in need of Advice

Nosta
2018-01-28, 04:32 PM
There's a Few thing i'm Debating

The Stats Are a 25 point buy and i am unsure if i want him to be more Str based or Dex based

Also im debating a few feats. Firstly I am Debating between the following

1: Combat Expertise (This is for setting up for Martial Flexibility) I hear this is a common choice for a Brawler)

2: Dirty Fighting ( I feel like this is Better but i'm i tend to miss stuff and i am not sure it is best for a Brawler)

Second Debate is Between to style feats

1 Pummeling Style (Over come DR) This is good yes?

2 Jabbing Style (A little extra Dmg) Maybe?

Other Feats i am Considering Are

Agile maneuvers if i am more Dex Based
Combat Stamina if for nothing else to add more options

DEMON
2018-01-28, 05:09 PM
As Yoda would say, 'A Pathfinder tag, this thread needs, hmm'.

Psyren
2018-01-28, 07:17 PM
1) You have pretty high point buy, so there's no reason you can't have decent scores in both.

2) Dex will make you more SAD but takes more build resources (e.g. feats) to pull off effectively. Personally I would go Str focused with a decent Dex score, something like STR 16 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 13 Wis 14 Cha 7.

3) Go either Dirty Fighting or Combat Expertise, not both. If you go for Dirty Fighting, you can drop your Int to 10 (personally I hate negative Int, but you could do that too) and use the freed up points to either boost Cha to 10 or enhance your physical stats more.

As Yoda would say, 'A Pathfinder tag, this thread needs, hmm'.

Well it wouldn't hurt, but since there's no Brawler class in 3.5 then it wouldn't be too misleading I think :smallsmile:

Drelua
2018-01-28, 08:07 PM
2) Dex will make you more SAD but takes more build resources (e.g. feats) to pull off effectively. Personally I would go Str focused with a decent Dex score, something like STR 16 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 13 Wis 14 Cha 7.

Why the INT? I could easily be missing something, but Brawler's Cunning makes it unnecessary for feat pre-reqs, so I'd push the strength a bit higher.

Jabbing Style isn't very good I don't think, Pummeling's a lot better. A dip into Master of Many Styles Monk isn't a bad idea if you feel like combining two styles, Dragon's a decent choice for more damage since you only need 2 of the feats and they're easy to qualify for, and Street Style isn't too bad for the x3 crits. Unfortunately, they got rid of the 1 crit = all crits on pummeling style before I got to make a character that takes advantage of that interaction. :smallfrown:

Oh, and if you want a ranged option, I've seen the shield throwing archetype used to frightening effect. I mean, it works for Captain America.

Psyren
2018-01-28, 09:11 PM
Why the INT? I could easily be missing something, but Brawler's Cunning makes it unnecessary for feat pre-reqs, so I'd push the strength a bit higher.

You missed nothing, I did :smallredface: Completely forgot that feature.

Jabbing Style isn't very good I don't think, Pummeling's a lot better. A dip into Master of Many Styles Monk isn't a bad idea if you feel like combining two styles, Dragon's a decent choice for more damage since you only need 2 of the feats and they're easy to qualify for, and Street Style isn't too bad for the x3 crits. Unfortunately, they got rid of the 1 crit = all crits on pummeling style before I got to make a character that takes advantage of that interaction. :smallfrown:

Oh, and if you want a ranged option, I've seen the shield throwing archetype used to frightening effect. I mean, it works for Captain America.

Jabbing is decent on a dex build. It gives you bonus damage if you're accurate, which is easy for dex builds to accomplish.

Drelua
2018-01-28, 10:14 PM
You missed nothing, I did :smallredface: Completely forgot that feature.

It's all good, everybody makes mistakes.

Jabbing is decent on a dex build. It gives you bonus damage if you're accurate, which is easy for dex builds to accomplish.

For example, I just advised against a feat I haven't read in months without remembering what exactly it does. Looking at it now, I may have misread it before. I thought the bonus damage dice only happened once, but it looks like it's every hit after the first. That's a lot more damage than I thought it was when you're making a lot of attacks. So if you hit 4 times with all three feats, it would add nothing to the first, 2d6 to the second, and 4d6 to each of the last two, right? 10d6 isn't bad, average 35, not to mention the mobility. I might have to use that style now.