PDA

View Full Version : Need some explanation

MarlinhoAlface
2018-01-28, 05:10 PM
My friend said that a two-handed weapon doesn't need two free weapon slots to be used, is it true?
He said that "slot" and "hands" are two different things

Unoriginal
2018-01-28, 05:16 PM
My friend said that a two-handed weapon doesn't need two free weapon slots to be used, is it true?
He said that "slot" and "hands" are two different things

There is no such things as "weapon slots", so he's technically correct, but I doubt that's what he meant.

What was the context of the debate?

MarlinhoAlface
2018-01-28, 05:17 PM
There is no such things as "weapon slots", so he's technically correct, but I doubt that's what he meant.

I can't post image, but i meant the 3 slots in the sheet that you put the weapons (up on the spells thing)

Douglas
2018-01-28, 05:21 PM
Those are spots on a piece of paper, nothing more. They have no game mechanics or rules significance whatsoever.

Millstone85
2018-01-28, 05:24 PM
They are not even for weapons in particular. Note your most common attacks there.

MarlinhoAlface
Those are spots on a piece of paper, nothing more. They have no game mechanics or rules significance whatsoever.

But, if the player has two shortsword equiped on these spots, he can't equip a Longbow right? he need a +
free one right?

Davrix
None of that means anything.

The only context of the 2-handed property is this.

The weapon requires 2 hands to be swung for an attack. Nothing else. Its why you can can still cast spells while using one

Slurm Browley
2018-01-28, 05:25 PM
I've always treated those spots on the character sheets as places for your primary weapons, but I don't know of any restrictions on how many weapons you can carry in your inventory (unless your DM enforces carrying capacity or encumbrance). Obviously, it's a different story in combat.

Unoriginal
2018-01-28, 05:49 PM
But, if the player has two shortsword equiped on these spots, he can't equip a Longbow right? he need a +
free one right?

No?

The weapons aren't equipped on those slots, they're equipped on the character, in-game. Those spaces are just to write down your stuff.

Heck, if you have two identical shortswords, you can write them both in the same space (with a note on the damage difference if you're fighting with both at the same time).

Beechgnome
2018-01-28, 06:03 PM
I feel like this misunderstanding of the character sheet is based on years of playing computer roll playing games, yes? Like in Baldur's Gate you couldn't equip a bow if you were dual-weilding or equipped a shield.

As others have said, the lines on those attacks are just for you to write down the bonuses for common attacks, be they weapons or cantrips or whatever.

You still can't weld a bow and an off-hand short sword, but that's because of the rules of the game, and nothing to do with the sheet.

If I were writing my short swords there, I would do them in one line, and write it like this if I had 16 Dex and was first level:

Short swords +5/+5 d6+3/d6+3... assuming dual wield fighting style for that 2nd +3.

DeTess
2018-01-28, 06:06 PM
This confusion might also come from the atunement slots every character gets? You get 3 of those, and they can be occupied by magic items that specify that they need atunement. Even that mechanic has nothing to do with how many hands you need to use that item though.

Malifice
2018-01-28, 09:32 PM
This thread is rather funny.

No, OP there is no such thing as ''slots''. Thats just how much room they give you on your character sheet to write stuff down.

You can carry 50 weapons if you want to (although you might be encumbred).

I suggest reading the Players handbook.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-01-29, 04:07 AM
You can carry 50 weapons if you want to

That's the only proper way to play the fighter class, in my opinion.

Joe the Rat
2018-01-29, 08:33 AM
With a caddy?

Okay, ignore the sheet layout. Look at a standard humanoid. Two arms, two hands. You have two hands to use things. Weapons will tell you if they require two hands (or if that is an option), otherwise, they only take one.

You have the right idea of not being able to use more than two hands-worth of items at a time, but that isn't what the sheet does.

Aett_Thorn
2018-01-29, 08:36 AM
This thread is rather funny.

No, OP there is no such thing as ''slots''. Thats just how much room they give you on your character sheet to write stuff down.

You can carry 50 weapons if you want to (although you might be encumbred).

I suggest reading the Players handbook.

Oh yeah, because the PHB is 100% clear in everything it says. ;)

PopeLinus1
2018-01-29, 08:42 AM

I definitely agree,

“I’m not sure the rule means that”

“I’ve got an idea! Let’s rumage through the PH for two hours before looking online!”

“Yay”

Malifice
2018-01-29, 08:43 AM

Not sure where it infers in any way that you're limited to 'slots' for items.

Methinks the OP has been playing too many computer games where that sort of thing is common.

Kids these days with all this 'computing games.'

Im happy with my Commodore 64.

Aett_Thorn
2018-01-29, 08:46 AM
Not sure where it infers in any way that you're limited to 'slots' for items.

Methinks the OP has been playing too many computer games where that sort of thing is common.

Kids these days with all this 'computing games.'

Im happy with my Commodore 64.

Was more just a jest that even reading the PHB doesn't necessarily give clarity on 100% of subjects. In this case, it wouldn't talk about this particular issue because the PHB doesn't know what kind of character sheet you're using, so probably wouldn't answer the OP's question. Yes, there is no mention of slots limiting you from carrying more items, but that's because there's no discussion of 'slots' at all.

SirGraystone
2018-01-29, 08:53 AM
There's two thing mixed in that question

First a two handed weapon like a greatsword need two hands to use, but only one hand to hold. Which mean you need both hands to attack but if you want to use you action to cast a spell instead of attacking with the greatsword you can hold it with one hand and cast the spell with another.

The second part is about using a greatsword for example and a longbow. You can freely sheathing or drawing a weapon in a round but not both. So you can attack with a greatsword then sheath it in round 1, but then you need to wait to the round 2 draw you bow and shot with it. You can't sheath you sword, draw the bow and shoot in the same round, althought you could just drow the sword to the ground.

bc56
2018-01-29, 03:47 PM
That's the only proper way to play the fighter class, in my opinion.

Yup. Versatility is key.

That's why I posted this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?549383-Give-me-more-cantrips-(optimization-challenge)) about trying to maximize number of cantrips. It's the same principle, just for a spellcaster.

But yeah, op, there's no such thing as weapon slots. The lines in the attacks box are to show how to record different attack options there.