PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder power ranger build

Drako992233
2018-01-28, 06:50 PM
Hi, i was wondering if anyone had any ideas to make a power ranger? (More magna defender quantum ranger like. Chaotic good) ive seen synthesist summoner and some vigilante stuff, i just dont want to skip anything usefull. No 3rd party please.

Psyren
2018-01-28, 07:15 PM
Magical Child Vigilante will get you the "'Morphin Time!" elaborate henshin sequence, but you honestly don't need to represent that mechanically - I would be a synthesist summoner instead and simply fluff bringing my Zord eidolon out that way.

Ellrin
2018-01-28, 07:32 PM
Hi, i was wondering if anyone had any ideas to make a power ranger? (More magna defender quantum ranger like. Chaotic good) ive seen synthesist summoner and some vigilante stuff, i just dont want to skip anything usefull. No 3rd party please.

It really sort of depends on how much you want to play up the henshin angle. The visual aspect (the helmet, suit, maybe even weapons) is mostly a matter of how you fluff things, but if you want your sentai to go from competent NPC to main character power in a hurry, a quick self-buffer is probably you best bet.

A warlock vigilante with the immediate change social talent lets you transform as a move action (fluff as henshin pose), gives you up to 6th level wiz/sor spells for buffing (fluff as special gear), and magic bolts (fluff as your sentai sidearm). You could even fluff your spellbook as your morpher. VMC magus to get a quick-buff special sentai weapon. That last bit actually applies to just about any build that isn't too feat intensive.

Magical child vigilante gives you summoner spells, which is another good buff pool, and is already based on a very similar concept, though fluffing that familiar to be more super sentai than mahou shoujo could require some extra creativity.

That said, there are a couple unexpected options that may prove even more true to concept, with a little extra fluff.

Alchemist/investigator gives you some very quick buffs when paired with poisoner's gloves and combined extracts, not to mention the mutagen, which you could even fluff as being your morpher. You'd have to get your DM to okay fluffing your mutagen as making you more powerful without making you more monstrous, and think of something sentai-ish to fluff your extracts as, but the skeleton is there for you to build appropriate fluff around.

Bloodrager is another unexpected choice. With many bloodlines allowing you to cast free-action buffs on yourself when you enter bloodrage, you can pretty easily fluff your rage as the flames of justice--henshin! Throw the primalist archetype in there for barbarian rage powers on top of spellcasting buffs and you've got a pretty convincing super powered ranger transformation.

Those are just a few ideas off the top of my head. Really any build that can buff in a hurry and that maybe has some core gimmick attached to that self-buff (vigilante's transformation, alchemist's mutagen, etc.) can probably pass as a power ranger type given some creative refluff. Assuming you're not also looking for Gargantuan or larger mecha, because that's a whole other can of worms.

grarrrg
2018-01-28, 07:37 PM
Makes me a little sad that none of these suggestions contain any "ranger".

Ellrin
2018-01-28, 07:42 PM

I'm not overly familiar with ranger archetypes, but vanilla ranger and power ranger are pretty different concepts, to be fair.

grarrrg
2018-01-28, 08:44 PM
I'm not overly familiar with ranger archetypes, but vanilla ranger and power ranger are pretty different concepts, to be fair.

I'm aware there's little useful overlap.
Still makes me sad.

Tohsaka Rin
2018-01-28, 08:48 PM
C'mon, folks. Aegis (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/aegis/).

Summons a suit? Check.

Gets more powerful when wearing the suit? Double check.

Has some special/fancy powers because of the suit? Triple check.

Becomes more durable while wearing said suit? Oh you better believe check.

The only thing missing is weapons, which can easily be replicated with a dip into Soulknife (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/soulknife/).

Done and done, you're welcome. :smallbiggrin:

Psyren
2018-01-28, 08:55 PM
C'mon, folks. Aegis (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/aegis/).
Done and done, you're welcome. :smallbiggrin:

No 3rd party please.

At least read the OP, folk. :smalltongue:

Ha! :smallbiggrin:

Tohsaka Rin
2018-01-28, 09:47 PM
At least read the OP, folk. :smalltongue:

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! :smalltongue:

In all seriousness though, you're right. I'm so used to turning to psionics, I don't often remember that it's third-party.

That said, the SRD exists, and psionics rock, embrace it, people. EMBRACE IT!

Hugh Mann
2018-01-28, 10:16 PM
If you have a lot of gold to burn you can get a transforming construct that you can "pilot". You can make the base form a T-rex, and have it transform into a humanoid shape.

Drako992233
2018-01-28, 10:57 PM
These are all pretty good ideas. I looked at aegis and soulknife. I ll try to talk my gm onto that but hes kind of a stickler on 3rd party stuff.