PDA

View Full Version : Making a good party on Curse of Strahd

cre4tive
2018-01-28, 09:00 PM
The group has a Duergar Paladin and a Half-elf bard!
What i must to do? I thought in a Warlock HexBlade.
The master gave us a feat in lv 1!

SirGraystone
2018-01-29, 09:24 AM
A good group is not so much about race/class in it as much a role filled.

- Tank/melee: That will take most of the damage to spare those with worse armor class or hit points
- Healer: To keep say Tank alive, and the rest of the group too.
- Face: Someone usually with good Charisma and useful social skills, to be the talking face of the group.
- DPS/Damage dealer: Those who kill the bad guys.

Some classes can do multiple roles, like paladin can make good tank and face.

Madfellow
2018-01-29, 11:08 AM
Tanking, healing, diplomacy, and skills are already covered by the other two. Paladin and bard are among the most versatile classes in the game. So your options are pretty open. I would recommend a wisdom-based build, someone who can serve as a scout, like a monk, ranger, or rogue.

Good luck. :)

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-01-29, 11:30 AM
The group has a Duergar Paladin and a Half-elf bard!
What i must to do? I thought in a Warlock HexBlade.
The master gave us a feat in lv 1!

I think a cleric is good for this dungeon but depends on the other members of the party like the paladin might take the place of the cleric so far you have a good bit of magic. If it was my choice I would go with a rogue.

Edit: When we played I played a monk and i was the only one who didn't die, though that could have been because I was the only one who had played before (with the exception of the DM)

Specter
2018-01-29, 11:41 AM
Considering CoS and your party, I'd go for a Wisdom class (Cleric, Druid, Ranger).

cre4tive
2018-01-29, 11:48 AM
I'm thinking in a War cleric

Specter
2018-01-29, 12:23 PM
I'm thinking in a War cleric

Sure. That gives you much-needed heavy armor, Divine Favor (for radiant damage which vampires hate), and solid buffs.

As for the feat, Resilient (CON) can't hurt.

SirGraystone
2018-01-29, 02:01 PM
If you go war cleric, hill dwarf +2 con +1 wis and +1 extra hp each level, you can even take Dwarf Fortitude as a feat for another +1 con and be able to use 1 HD to heal each time you do a dodge action.

BoutsofInsanity
2018-01-29, 03:49 PM
Hit up that Rogue/Ranger. You get a scout, off tank, wisdom perception king, the ability to fight, support, and cast. You also cover the nature and dungeon knowledge your boy rogue doesn't have.

Grab archery style and Underdark Stalker Archetype from Xanthers and switch hit between archery support and frontline.

TheDarkKing
2018-01-29, 07:17 PM
I played a Ranger Beastmaster who was a lot of fun for COS. I had a wolf companion and they do a surprising amount of damage. I was one of only two people who made it through that campaign, so the defense is there.

Asmotherion
2018-01-29, 08:48 PM
The best way to enjoy 5e is to play a character concept you really enjoy. Don't worry about Party Balance, that's the DM's job, not yours.