PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Can my blind character cast spells that "requires sight"?

Burtreynoldsesq
2018-01-29, 12:14 AM
So, in this campaign that I'm in, my character is going to go blind and then later get permanent blindsight (long story), and he is a paladin. While I was playing, I realized something. In D&D there are a lot of spells that say something along the lines of "Pick a target you can see within range," and I was wondering... If my character is blind but has blind sight, can he still target creatures with those spells.

DeadMech
2018-01-29, 01:45 AM
I'd allow it. Probably under the same conditions as normal sight. Arguments could be made that hearing an enemy might allow you to target them around a corner or through certain barriers. I'd probably avoid it. Something something muffled sound isn't precise enough. Most spells require line of effect as well as line of effect.

Kane0
2018-01-29, 01:50 AM
Confirm with your DM, but it shouldn't be a problem. The 'you can see' bit is mostly there for establishing the 'you must have line of sight/effect' rule, so you can't magic missile creatures around corners and whatnot.

Asmotherion
2018-01-29, 02:11 AM
Depends. As a DM I dislike edgy goody two-shoe characters who plot-drive a dramatic condition uppon their character to end up with an advantage. I'd rule that the Drama Queen would not be able to cast anything that requires Sight, just to laugh with the irony of the whole thing.

On the other hand, if the Blindness was caused by actual combat (or otherwise plot not chosen by the character), and not by some weird ritual of faith, I'd let it slide. I'm not one to punish creativity, I just dislike Drama Queens in my Games. :P

No Offence. I'm ok with optimisation, I just draw the line to Drama Queen Paladin "I sacrificed myself for a higher purpose, but somehow became stronger from it". That's how I DM. Your DM might be very diferent about his world views/DMing. Discuss with him.

If you want a RAW answear, nope, a blind character can't cast anything that needs you to see the target.

Burtreynoldsesq
2018-01-29, 09:33 AM
Thanks for all the responses! I plan on talking to my DM about it later today. It's his first full campaign, so it's good to have other opinions.

Lord8Ball
2018-01-29, 12:54 PM
If you didn't have the blindsight I would've said use a familiar through mage initiate/ritual caster feat. I think blindsight is fine it is a type of sight after all, like echolocation, which if I remember correctly some blind guy uses clicking sounds to get around. If you're going the warlock route I believe there is an invocation that allows you to see through the eyes of someone you touched. Good ole divination is another alternative. If you don't want to enter warlock pact for gaze of two minds you can try consulting your dm and try to trade a feat for an invocation and refluff it as a magical bloodline or the results of your experimentation.

Mikal
2018-01-29, 12:56 PM
Until you get a sense that lets you perceive things such as blindsight or tremorsense, no, you won't be able to cast any spells requiring sight.

SirGraystone
2018-01-29, 01:50 PM
Blindsight let you see invisible things or creature which can be good, on the down side you are still blind, you can't read, can't see color, other then adult dragons and powerful demons most creature with blindsight only can "see" at 30' too.

xroads
2018-01-29, 02:42 PM
I played a gnome wizard in Ravenloft that incurred the same fate. If memory serves, I could still use spells that required sight. But if it required an attack roll, then I was at a disadvantage.

However I got around that last issue by using my familiar as a spotter. :smallbiggrin:

BoutsofInsanity
2018-01-29, 03:30 PM
If you have blindsight 30 or 60, within that area you could target a creature. You would count as seeing them. Outside of that range? No you can't

Miz_Liz
2018-02-06, 03:48 PM
I'm in a slightly different situation because my character has been blind from the beginning and she's a monk 4/cleric 1. That being said, my DM gave me blindsight with the standard range of sight for my race, and I also received expertise in perception checks using my other senses. Because it is such an integral part of my character and she's been blind her whole life I don't have disadvantage on attacks, but that might be something you start with that goes away as the character gets used to being blind. It's really an awesome experience rping a blind character, good luck!

Kane0
2018-02-06, 04:20 PM
https://78.media.tumblr.com/56b453815e77529c46b734db66e85513/tumblr_on0dgjJ0G41tjjuglo1_500.gif

For extra laughs, take two levels of warlock for the Eyes of the Runekeeper invocation.

No brains
2018-02-06, 04:24 PM
Creatures with blindsight can effectively 'see' within their blind'sight' radius.

If it weren't this way, Intellect Devourers would be screwed because they need to 'see' a target to use their powers.

I recall that this was addressed in Sage Advice, but I can't find it.