PDA

View Full Version : DC Adventures: Precog combat enhancment.

R0bperry
2018-01-29, 03:22 AM
In looking through the character creation it has under sences the power of Precognition. It doesnt really define time and effect except that it takes 4 ranks and provides information about the future.
Recently I was watching the movie Next with Nicholas Cage. The one where he can see about 2 min into the future. Kind of cool in concept. Until you see what he does with it, then its wild. At first he uses it to do cheap tricks about seeing the future. Then playing cards. But the few sceens that really tells what the power can do are when he can see accurately enough ahead to 1) avoid being hit by a train in a car chase. 2) Avoiding an ongoing avalanche. 3) Searches an entire ship by seeing all the possible futures of searching in 2 min. And finally 4) he litterly walks right at someone shooting a gun point blank at him, who is 20 ft right in front of him, and can see the future with enough accuracy to know when to turn and shift enough to not get hit while walking right at the shooter.

I always thought that was a very cool power.

Another version I have seen elsewhere is like a Star Wars Jedi, who uses a kind of Combat Precaution. They know just where to place their light saber to redirect blaster shots as well as other short future seeing advantages.
So heres my question.

How would you build that power in either Mutants and Masterminds or DC Adventures?

I have some ideas, and it wouldnt be very expensive. Especially if you take limits on how far ahead you can see. Where I fall short is in accuracy of sight and converting it into modifications to action and to act upon. Thought about using it as a speed thing with the limitations in refrence to Precognition. But still the same issues.

I'm probably just not looking at this correctly or overthinking it.

Any ideas?

Grod_The_Giant
2018-01-29, 07:57 AM
M&M 3e/DC Adventures is an effect-based system. When you're trying to build a power, it's more important to look at what it does than how it's described. Looking at your examples... most of those are some form of souped-up dodging, which could be represented in any number of standard ways (Enhanced Dodge/Parry, Defensive Roll advantage, Deflect if you have to concentrate on it, Immunity (Dodge-Based attacks) if you want to dump a hell of a lot of points on it). The last one is probably Quickness, Limited to Mental Tasks.

The actual Senses (Precognition) power, like Movement (Time Travel), is really more of a plot thing. It basically lets you ask your GM for hints, and encourages your GM to hand you plot hooks.