PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Bag of Beans...Should We use it?

Xrposiedon
2018-01-29, 03:32 AM
My party is in a game of Storm Kings Thunder.....

Prior to us really getting into the story line, we got a bag of magic beans with 6 beans. I am playing a monk and always have these super wise sayings I quote. One of which is...."It is better to be a warrior in the garden, rather than a gardener in the battlefield."

I definitely could have my party convinced in planting some beans....but in your experience, does anything good ever come from planting them?

Avonar
2018-01-29, 04:08 AM
Good stuff can happen, bad stuff can happen. But do you know what's almost guaranteed to happen?

Fun stuff.

Unoriginal
2018-01-29, 04:46 AM
Can your party afford to do random sidequests right now? What level are you?

Xrposiedon
2018-01-29, 05:05 AM
Can your party afford to do random sidequests right now? What level are you?

6, and yes we could do sidequests....we have a person who loves to brew beer, we have a person who likes to sit back and shoot arrows at things, we have a person who loves the sun, and we have two people who love to fight.

Unoriginal
2018-01-29, 05:41 AM
IMO I would say planting the beans is not worth the results.

Maybe you could use it as a gift to befriend or at least get respect from a Giant? Warn them it's filled with wonder, but also with danger, and that only the strong and the brave dare risking the danger?

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-01-29, 07:50 AM
My party is in a game of Storm Kings Thunder.....

Prior to us really getting into the story line, we got a bag of magic beans with 6 beans. I am playing a monk and always have these super wise sayings I quote. One of which is...."It is better to be a warrior in the garden, rather than a gardener in the battlefield."

I definitely could have my party convinced in planting some beans....but in your experience, does anything good ever come from planting them?

Im DMing for Brazenburn and he got a bag of beans from a faction. he used a few and got a bulette and a beanstalk to a cloud giant castle where he looted a brand new lute. Soooo... I would but most of my characters are the types who would so your choice.

the_brazenburn
2018-01-29, 07:51 AM
I've used them, and I will tell you that they can go either very wrong, or very right.

If you're willing to take some risks (running into bulettes, giants, or poisonous fruit), there are some excellent bonuses.

Corsair14
2018-01-29, 07:57 AM
Always use the bag of Beans. Its like a Wand of Wonder, the results good or bad are simply too awesome not for good gamers to use for the hell of it.

Joe the Rat
2018-01-29, 08:35 AM
You could always try to trade them for a cow.

PopeLinus1
2018-01-29, 08:37 AM
You could always try to trade them for a cow.

Thaaaats not much of a profit.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-01-29, 08:49 AM
Thaaaats not much of a profit.

It could be the cow that lays the golden eggs.

Clumsyninja23
2018-01-29, 08:55 AM
I've learned that you should almost always go for these kinds of things, unless it is just really out of character for your character. Even if something bad happens, it's a good story. Remember that the game is about fun and making a story, not about "winning".

nickl_2000
2018-01-29, 09:00 AM
I know nothing about the campaign (and I'm trying to avoid reading about it since I know I will be playing Storm King's Thunder when my current campaign finishes).

However, the answer to "should I use this" is always yes!

Should I open this chest that may or may not be trapped? YES
Should I draw from the Deck of many things? YES
Should I pull that random lever sitting on the floor? YES, and do it now!

Lord8Ball
2018-01-29, 12:15 PM
Well I've had 2 separate encounters with this item was great and the other was apocalyptic.
Encounter 1:
1.cloud giant palace + gifts
2.free potion
3.raging barbarian running into exploding eggs and becoming intelligent.
4.bulette
5.random exploding shrooms
6 campfire
Encounter 2:
backround: I as a druid/warlock was under the permission of the dm able to craft a magic item under his system. I ended up rolling bag of beans and he nerfed the bean count, but blocked tpk encoounter for our levels.(we were lvl 3)
1:exploding eggs everybody gets a stat buff and someone almost reached insta death threshold
2. mushrooms
3. campfire
4: lots of negated monster summons so he eventually said to choose. Beanstalk. Dm rolls on planes and rolled one. I was hyped because the first option was Elysium and then.... Gehenna. So now we got an expanding portal to the abyss and a portal to a demonic realm double screwed. We tried to chop down beanstalk, but apperantly we need a wish spell to remove it. Then gods and lvl 20 paladins appeared to help and we went on a journey to fix the problem after being nearly decimated by a demon.

Errata
2018-01-29, 12:24 PM
Just do it. Statistically, you will mostly be fighting some random creatures for little to no benefit. But if your DM gave it to you, there is probably some reason they had in mind. They might fudge one of the rolls to advance the plot or give you whatever it is they had in mind. For example, everyone here seems to get a giant castle with treasure, even though it's only a 1% chance.

KorvinStarmast
2018-01-29, 12:25 PM
It could be the cow that lays the golden eggs. Or was the one who actually made the golden calf. :smallconfused:

Foxydono
2018-01-30, 06:18 PM
Obviously you should use it. Why you ask, well eggs of course! Get yourself a pally and the shield that gives advantage on saving throws v magical effects. Buy all the eggs from your fellow players. It's silly to split them up, because only your lowest stat increases, which will most likely be your dump stat. I got 25 eggs total in the campaign I'm playing and I only failed the saving throw on a 2. With advantage it didn't happen zo I got all my stats 18+. It helps if you start with good rolled stats.

If you get a mummy, good because more treasure. If you roll a 100, awesome, something spectaculair will happen. All the other stuff is kinda pointless, but the bag is definitely awesome so use it :)

Kane0
2018-01-30, 06:22 PM
Yeah. Yeah you should.

They're like the Deck of Many Things or the Rod of Wonder or having a Wild Mage around. The risk/reward isn't the point, it's the dice rolling and antics that ensue.