PDA

View Full Version : Druidic Spellcasting Focus

Schwann145
2018-01-29, 03:34 AM
I'm a lil confused here:
Druids are not given the option of using a Spell Component Pouch. The only option given for them is a Focus.
However some Druid spells have costless material components listed.
Take Shillelagh as an example. It requires Mistletoe, a Shamrock leaf, and the club/quarterstaff to be enhanced.
Does this mean to cast Shillelagh a Druid must have a Druidic Focus and be keeping track of specific material components?
(It doesn't help that 5E has been rather unclear about the distinction between "Components vs Focus" in the first place...)

DarkKnightJin
2018-01-29, 03:48 AM
As long as the material component for a spell is not consumed on casting, and/or if the component doesn't have a GP cost listed, one can substitute their Focus in its place.

One only needs to track components that have a cost and/or are consumed. The rest is Focus or Component Pouch territory.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-01-29, 03:50 AM
I don't think it's unclear. The focus replaces any component that doesn't have a gp cost. It works fine for shillelagh.

JellyPooga
2018-01-29, 04:11 AM
Druids absolutely can use a component pouch; it's role is functionally identical to an arcane or druidic focus, or indeed a holy symbol. The only people that need to track individual components are those players anal enough to bother (or for fluff reasons). Mechanically, you just write "component pouch" on your character sheet and you're good to go (until your GM decides to confiscate it for reasons of plot and/or hilarity). Druids are not an exception to this rule.

hymer
2018-01-29, 06:59 AM
Druids are not given the option of using a Spell Component Pouch. The only option given for them is a Focus.
I don't know where you got this idea. All spellcasters can use a component pouch. But druids can use a druidic focus instead, if they want to.

However some Druid spells have costless material components listed.
So if you have a pouch or a druidic focus, you can cast these spells. If you lack either, you can't cast these spells.

Take Shillelagh as an example. It requires Mistletoe, a Shamrock leaf, and the club/quarterstaff to be enhanced.
Does this mean to cast Shillelagh a Druid must have a Druidic Focus and be keeping track of specific material components?
No.

Edit: As people above have described... :smallredface:

Beelzebubba
2018-01-29, 07:56 AM
Take Shillelagh as an example. It requires Mistletoe, a Shamrock leaf, and the club/quarterstaff to be enhanced. Does this mean to cast Shillelagh a Druid must have a Druidic Focus and be keeping track of specific material components?

As said before, and backed up by Sage Advice (https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/03/20/can-i-use-arcane-focus-staff-as-a-quarterstaff-in-melee/), you can use the same staff for the focus as the weapon in combat, and if you have the focus, you don't need the mistletoe.

This is made a bit more confusing by the mistletoe being a legitimate focus, but since the spell doesn't specify 'a sprig of mistletoe worth 1gp' - then you can hand-wave it away.

tieren
2018-01-29, 09:54 AM
Personally while I don't actually track inventory and usage, I like to RP my druid going off into the woods to collect herbs and things when we have downtime or are traveling n wilderness. feels right for him to keep an eye out for things he might need and/or ritually collect.

"The moon is full tonight, I need to go back and collect the [rare herb] I spotted a 1/2 mile back when it is at its zenith using a silvered blade"