PDA

View Full Version : Options for a caster against antimagic field

King of Nowhere
2018-01-29, 04:26 AM
Hi all,
As a DM, I have several good caster bosses, and I am worried that a single antimagic field will trivialize all those encounters. I am looking for defensive strategies from high level casters (both arcane and divine) against it.
Keep in mind that I restrict a lot of the more powerful stuff. This includes ignoring antimagic (I know there is some kind of feat for it in some splatbook, but it doesn't fly at my table), and multiple contingencies (everyone is restricted to one, some artifacts give a second).
So, there is no way to use spells against someone in the antimagic, and a contingency to teleport you away from it only works once. Even summoned monsters or transformation don't work. Assuming the villain does not want to retreat, I need options.
I could use golems and minions, but I want those bosses to be memorable enemies, not guys who hide behind minions and do nothing the whole time. Also, they would not work; the party melee are soon going to find artifact weapons that work in amf, so I'd have to either give artifacts to the minions too (unlikely) or the party could easily kill any opponent.
Counterspelling could also be possible, but it would require a minion doing nothing but readying a counterspell action. Not likely. As for the boss, he can't stand still waiting for something that may never happen. Action economy is against him.

So, what can a caster do against that spell?
Disjunction is possible, but it only has a 20% chance to work. Can't rely on it.
Wish or miracle should be perfectly capable of dispelling an amf, and it's the kind of resource you're willing to burn when confronted by a high level party equipped with artifacts. This leaves room for a quickened spell. So, an option, though not an ideal one.
And at least one of those bosses is only 16th level, so no wish for him.
Also, I want to avoid options that smell too much of DM fiat. "No, in this unholy lair antimagic field does not work. Yes, just this specific spell". No, players would cry foul, and rightly so.

In the end, what can a caster do against anti magic field?

DeTess
2018-01-29, 05:51 AM
How about a ring of counterspells (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#counterspells)? Load an AMF into the ring, and it will hopefully counter the casting. The ring does specify that it only counters spells cast on the wearer, so it might not work against an AMF.

Another option is described in this OOTS-strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0627.html). Just ensure your spell-caster is the Dragon, not V in this particular case. This can be done by literally making them a dragon, or by, for example, having them take levels in ruby knight vindicator or jade-phoenix mage to give them some nasty options in melee combat that will still work within an AMF.

Celestia
2018-01-29, 06:13 AM
There's always the tinfoil hat option. Make a cylinder with a five foot wide diameter then permanency a shrink item on it and wear it like a hat. When you enter an anti-magic field, the shrink item will be suppressed, causing the cylinder to return to its normal size and fall around you. This will break line of effect and allow you to teleport away to safety.

Alternatively, for a less cheesey solution, instantaneous conjuration spells, like to orb line, explicitly work in anti-magic fields.

MeimuHakurei
2018-01-29, 06:20 AM
-Initiates of Mystra can cast in antimagic fields as well as dead magic zones if succeeding on a Caster Level Check.
-There's a high level spell (I don't know the name) that lets you fire off a spell that's 4th level or lower while in an AMF.
-Iron Heart Surge can destroy an antimagic field - this specific thing is an official errata.
-Antimagic Field is a 10 foot emanation a caster can walk away from. The caster can still attack indirectly by e.g. collapsing the ceiling above the AMF or sending a built construct or called outsider/elemental at the user.
-Place the fight in an arena with extreme hostile environments, such as lava bursting from the sides, a deep poison spike pit or inside a pool of acid. This way, popping an AMF can have severe downsides.

Mordaedil
2018-01-29, 06:23 AM
Epic spellcasters can cast epic spells from within an anti-magic field, while that might be good enough, you could put Superior Dispel Magic on a magic rod, that they could use to hesitantly dispel the anti-magic field.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong though.

Fizban
2018-01-29, 06:51 AM
Unless the bad guys have been using the spell version of AMF against the players, there's no reason you even have to allow the spell. No spell, no problem. Same thing for the item people like to put on their high level melee types.

As mentioned, AMF is only a 10' radius. You can't teleport on top of the caster when you're covered in AMF, you can't fly unless you have a natural flight ability, and there are plenty of physical or force effects you can have on the ground.

The 9th level spell Invoke Magic from Lords of Madness allows the caster to cast one spell of 4th level or lower in antimagic zones.

sleepyphoenixx
2018-01-29, 09:14 AM
Instantaneous conjuration spells work in an AMF (if cast from outside). The Orb of X line of spells is the most well known, but there are others.
Immediate action teleports are useful to avoid being affected. The Shadow Cloak (DoTU) is a cheap item for those and wizards can just use the Abrupt Jaunt ACF.
Alternatively the boss can just step out on his turn since BFC won't work in an AMF. Giving a melee boss large size + reach means he can make an AoO before the AMF caster gets him into the area of effect.
A Ring of Spellbattle can be used to counter any spell 1/day. Otiluke's Suppressing Field (CM) can supress it and has a larger radius than AMF.

And all that ignores the fact that the parties gear doesn't function in an AMF either. PC's rely on magical gear for the vast majority of attacks, damage and defenses.
Most monsters on the other hand (specifically non-humanoid ones) get the majority of their stats from their race, so stepping into an AMF puts the players at a disadvantage in most situations.
Even if they have artifact weapons that work in AMF, though i have no idea why you'd give them those when you're worried about AMF hosing your encounters.

Goaty14
2018-01-29, 12:24 PM
-Iron Heart Surge can destroy an antimagic field - this specific thing is an official errata.

IHS doesn't destroy an AMF, it merely suppresses it's effects on the wearer for a single round, and uses a standard action, so unless you can get another standard action to cast a spell, it doesn't work.

Eldariel
2018-01-29, 01:17 PM
Magical permanent/long duration effects that are useful when deployed. Shrink Item is a great one for instance; shrink some massive objects and throw them into the AMF watching them explode in size. Same obviously with the old Adamantine Cone trick mentioned; blocks line of effect to you so the AMF doesn't bother you but it does bother your enemy.

Permanent minions like Calling/Simulacrum/Undead/Golems work just fine in AMF and often outfight PC characters in those circumstances. It's quite hard to get monster-level stats with PCs without magic, and most options that actually accomplish that are too cheesy for most tables. Something like a Glabrezu or Zombie Hydra is more than a match for most level appropriate melee types if the melee types lack magical boosts.

Obviously just walking out of it (Tumbling if necessary) and Teleporting/Contingencying away/keeping your distance works.

You can also Summon things with Spell Resistance; if it's good enough, they can force it against the AMF and remain existent within it.

Obviously, very high caster level Disjunction works and permanent Conjuration effects as well as effects like Wall of Force can block the AMF wielder and the AMF itself. Simple flight is often a good defense; if the AMF carrier can't fly nonmagically, they just plain can reach you and even if they can, they'll have to be able to catch your magically reinforced flight speed (good luck non-magically reaching someone flying on a 240' Phantom Steed for example, let alone someone teleporting around).

Shapechanging helps. If you're too big to fit into the AMF (Colossal for example), at least one square of your space is always outside AMF thus enabling you to cast and use Su abilities and so on. Also, the enemy can't attack you with your magic disabled.

zergling.exe
2018-01-29, 04:18 PM

There is no official errata for Iron Heart Surge. WotC's (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/errata) errata document makes it through 2 and a portion items before switching over to the Complete Mage errata. If you are referring to this (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=335.0) errata, keep in mind that it is NOT official, and is homebrew.

Nebuul
2018-01-29, 05:24 PM
If you have an intelligent villain, they should plan their lair to combat antimagic. For example, all the floors except for certain areas she knows could be conjured terrain with spike traps beneath. If the heroes walk in and drop an antimagic field, they will pay the price while she will be safely standing on a real pillar.

Also, golems, elementals, and undead. Hide them behind conjured terrain in a zone of non-detection. Antimagic field will just release them by default.

Eloel
2018-01-29, 05:31 PM
Alternatively, for a less cheesey solution, instantaneous conjuration spells, like to orb line, explicitly work in anti-magic fields.

You cannot cast them from within an anti-magic field - you can throw them into an anti-magic field. It's an important distinction here.

flappeercraft
2018-01-29, 06:02 PM
-Invoke Magic allows the casting of a 4th level spell or lower but does have a costly material component. It's from EoE IIRC
-Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil with Indigo veil protects you from it
-Iron Heart Surge as previously mentioned
-Anything that blocks an emanation such as Total Cover from a Tower Shield also helps

Anthrowhale
2018-01-29, 11:44 PM
Wall of Stone seems like the practical counter. It's a general purpose spell that is 1 level lower than AMF. Using Wall of Stone to create a hemisphere around an AMF caster is easily doable even with just a 16th level caster. At that point, the AMF caster is stuck and probably needs to dismiss the AMF to escape. It's a win: they cast and dismiss AMF (2 standard actions), and then need to break out while you cast just one 5th level spell.

Malroth
2018-01-30, 12:03 AM
5 foot step, unless you're being grappled it's gauranteed to get you out of the area of effect

King of Nowhere
2018-01-30, 03:50 AM
Thanks guys, there are several good options there. I'll have to decide what flies in my world and what doesn't, and what is appropriate for specific characters, but I'll certainly find something.

Just one more question: wall of force and forcecage keep existing within an amf, but can they be made inside (when cast from outside) or they need to be preexisting? Because contingency teleports on the other side of the room - cast forcecage on the source of the amf seems a reliable option that does not depend on build or terrain too much.

Unless the bad guys have been using the spell version of AMF against the players, there's no reason you even have to allow the spell. No spell, no problem. Same thing for the item people like to put on their high level melee types.

As mentioned, AMF is only a 10' radius. You can't teleport on top of the caster when you're covered in AMF, you can't fly unless you have a natural flight ability, and there are plenty of physical or force effects you can have on the ground.

I introduced amf used (among other stuff) to protect sensitive areas as an important part of the worldbuilding, so I can't remove them. And I also can't trivialize them too much, as I established them as pretty effective defences.
The barbarian goes over 30 STR without magic while raging, and I decided that's enough to pick up the wizard and use her as a thrown weapon - there are no rules for it, but he's strong enough to pick up a car, makes sense to allow it.
Promuising artifact weapons to the players was also made for story reasons, and without thinking how it would affect amf.

Fizban
2018-01-30, 04:10 AM
Just one more question: wall of force and forcecage keep existing within an amf, but can they be made inside (when cast from outside) or they need to be preexisting?
Needs to be pre-existing: stuff used within, brought into, or cast inside the AMF is suppressed, while the Wall of Force exception specifically says remain unaffected. In order to remain unaffected, you must first exist to be affected by the AMF before it could affect you.

I introduced amf used (among other stuff) to protect sensitive areas as an important part of the worldbuilding, so I can't remove them. And I also can't trivialize them too much, as I established them as pretty effective defences.
Unless you used them as the written spell, you didn't actually introduce Antimagic Field. You introduced fiat-powered areas of antimagic, which are actually a lot more common than the spell itself.

King of Nowhere
2018-01-30, 07:38 AM
Unless you used them as the written spell, you didn't actually introduce Antimagic Field. You introduced fiat-powered areas of antimagic, which are actually a lot more common than the spell itself.

they are antimagic field spells, cast and then made permanent. i don't know if areas of antimagic are the same or a different concept, but i think areas of antimagic are supposed to be natural while those are fully artificial.

ross
2018-01-30, 03:03 PM
just research a new spell that allows all magic including itself to work in AMF, make it epic if necessary

Falontani
2018-01-30, 03:34 PM
Another option if the party has to kill the character in question is to give them the incorporeal suptype at least temporarily when antimagic is applied, they simply vanish until the players dissmiss the AMF at which point you appear, ready to fight. I believe Etherealness works, but I can't check right now.

Vaern
2018-01-30, 04:22 PM
Invoke Magic seems to be the way to go. As a sorc/wiz spell, it's something that can just be picked up along the way rather than requiring some niche build just to avoid the threat of a single spell.
If antimagic zones are common throughout the world and the big bad guy is a level 20 caster (since you mentioned Disjunction with a 20% chance of working), he is probably frequently inconvenienced by antimagic. He also probably has the resources to create a magical item that can be used to apply Invoke Magic to his spells. The market price for such an item that functions X times per day would be 71200 per daily charge, or half that if he crafts it himself. 356k gives him an item that can function constantly, permanently allowing him to cast 4th level or lower spells into antimagic (again, half the cost if he crafts the item himself). Even the level 16 guy should be able to afford at least the 1/day variety of this shenanigan.

Also mind that casting a spell with Invoke Magic allows it to be cast into the antimagic area, but the effect of Invoke Magic ends when the second spell is cast and it doesn't say that the second spell's effect persists afterward. Instantaneous spells like a fireball or lightning bolt would be allowed to function as normal, but it's likely that an effect with a duration like a summoned monster would come into existence only to be suppressed by the antimagic field at the end of the round.

King of Nowhere
2018-01-30, 04:36 PM
this thread gave me a neat idea for an antimagic grenade: take a ball of shrapnel and fill it with a supercompressed gas kept in place by magic. throw it into an antimagic field, the gas will suddenly expand and cause the concoction to explode. Just avoid having it on your person if caught in the antimagic field yourself.

hrm. probably no more effective than an actual hand grenade, which would be feasible in my world since gunpowder is known. And I established gunpowder, together with amf, as a reasonable counter to high level adventurers, since without magical protections killing a pc is just a matter of making a bigger blast. But I would not want a boss fight to go that way.

If I covered a room with shrunk spikes that, upon releasing of antimagic, would instantly become spear-sized or bigger, how would you rule it out at a gaming table?

Eldariel
2018-01-31, 03:43 AM
this thread gave me a neat idea for an antimagic grenade: take a ball of shrapnel and fill it with a supercompressed gas kept in place by magic. throw it into an antimagic field, the gas will suddenly expand and cause the concoction to explode. Just avoid having it on your person if caught in the antimagic field yourself.

hrm. probably no more effective than an actual hand grenade, which would be feasible in my world since gunpowder is known. And I established gunpowder, together with amf, as a reasonable counter to high level adventurers, since without magical protections killing a pc is just a matter of making a bigger blast. But I would not want a boss fight to go that way.

If I covered a room with shrunk spikes that, upon releasing of antimagic, would instantly become spear-sized or bigger, how would you rule it out at a gaming table?

Don't forget, it's not just Shrink Item. Polymorph Any Object also ceases to work in AMF so...throw balls of lava, acid, poison, bears, bigger bears, dinosaurs, etc. at anyone in AMF. That's also feasible. You don't need to worry about them going pop if you happen to enter an AMF as long as you ensure they aren't in the immediate line of effect. Some container is a good place to hold them. Open the Pandora's Box, watch all hell break loose.

Shrunk Spikes, Spikes generally use attack rolls (see e.g. Spiked Pit Trap (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/traps.htm#cr2SpikedPitTrap)), but they should be significantly more dangerous since they're growing to full length instantaneously and they're huge. Give the damage a couple of categories extra and make it...say +20 attack bonus.

Fizban
2018-01-31, 05:54 AM
they are antimagic field spells, cast and then made permanent. i don't know if areas of antimagic are the same or a different concept, but i think areas of antimagic are supposed to be natural while those are fully artificial.
Permanency doesn't have an entry for Antimagic Field, and that would be a whole heck of a lot of xp to cover any significant area. But if that's how you defined it to the players you have set a precedent I guess.