PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [AL] Best 2 level Druid dip?

Rogerdodger557
2018-01-29, 07:58 AM
I'm playing a thief rogue, and I'm wondering what the best druid subclass is for me to use?

Aett_Thorn
2018-01-29, 08:05 AM
For just a dip, none of them are going to be too overwhelming for you. Mainly because many of the level 2 subclass features use a bonus action, for which you already have a ton of uses for.

Land Druids will give you the ability to get one extra cantrip and one first-level spell slot back on a short rest per day. So if you think you're going to be using those spells a decent amount, that might be worth it.

Dream Druids get a bonus action heal pool of dice, but at only a dip, you're only ever going to have access to 2d6 total, and you can use only 1d6 at a time, which isn't likely to be worth it.

Moon Druids give you better forms to take, but you're still not going to be using them much in combat past a certain point anyways.

Shepherd Druids get some language abilities and a bonus action spirit summon that you can move around to help out your team (and you). The Hawk Spirit allows you to grant an ally advantage on an attack roll, which might help you out a bunch in ensuring that you get sneak attack off. Still, that uses up your Reaction, and moving it uses your bonus action, so it will severely interact with your action economy as a rogue.

Out of these, I would say that Moon and Shepherd are the best, but it depends on how you play which one will be better.

Eradis
2018-01-29, 08:17 AM
Personally I'd go for a Moon Druid for more versatility of the Wild Shape ability. Though I do not know much about the Shepard druid, but the way Aett_Thron explained it makes it worth considering for the control option for you and your team. Are you more supportive as a rogue and tend to keep to the shadows or focused on striking in the fray? That might help the choice.

Ventruenox
2018-01-29, 08:18 AM
Moon. Hands down. The utility of beasts up to CR 1 combined with Cunning Action? That has all sort of character potential throughout the campaign.

Shephard gives great abilities, but the synergy isn't there. It sort of imitates Mastermind by using your bonus action to give advantage to friends, but at the expense of your reaction. Talking with animals could be a way to create a criminal network of woodland critters though.

Land? If you have a specific spell set that is campaign dependant, the spell slot recharge is useful, if boring.

Dreams? Healing won't scale well with just a dip.