PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Name my GOO patron

bc56
2018-01-29, 08:02 AM
I am planning to play a sorcerer/GOOlock in an upcoming game. However, I don't have any idea for the name of the patron. The patron appears as an eye on the end of a long, spiked tentacle.

Thanks

Aett_Thorn
2018-01-29, 08:08 AM
Dianoga

Mainly to see who else in your group would get the reference.

Malifice
2018-01-29, 08:13 AM
I am planning to play a sorcerer/GOOlock in an upcoming game. However, I don't have any idea for the name of the patron. The patron appears as an eye on the end of a long, spiked tentacle.

Thanks

One eyed trouser snake?

Seriously though, spell your own real life name backwards.

Bonus points if your name is Uluhtc.

Millstone85
2018-01-29, 08:15 AM
For my GOO patron, I came up with the name Uruboriad. It is inspired by the idea of a myriad of ouroboroses, and the Far Realm equivalent of a nature spirit.

In the end, though, just another expy of Shub-Niggurath.

Joe the Rat
2018-01-29, 08:27 AM
He Who Watches
Sigmurethran Oculus (the appearance of your patron is but one part of a hyperdimensional mollusk)
Mr. Wiggly
Thousand Year Restrict
Evan (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0020.html)

Unoriginal
2018-01-29, 08:43 AM
Alach of Many

Malifice
2018-01-29, 08:44 AM
He Who Watches
Sigmurethran Oculus (the appearance of your patron is but one part of a hyperdimensional mollusk)
Mr. Wiggly
Thousand Year Restrict

I second Mr Wiggly.

Or Wiggly McWiggleface.

strangebloke
2018-01-29, 09:35 AM
bob the nameless

Vogie
2018-01-29, 09:41 AM
I'd also second Evan. It's too perfect.
Also:
Sauron
Vlados (Glados, but bloodthirsty)

KorvinStarmast
2018-01-29, 09:44 AM
OculusStockulus
Shorten to
Ocstokul

Beechgnome
2018-01-29, 10:20 AM
Retina. It's followers are known as the Retinue.

I'll see myself out.

ImproperJustice
2018-01-29, 10:57 AM
Blast Hardcheese
Rock Manpunch
Bod McKenzie
Bob Johnson

That Paperchase guy......

Or the old standbys of:
Lord of the Deep
He who rules the in-between.
Zuul
Gozer
*something no one ever hears because whenever you speak it’s name, it’s drowned out by a bird call, thunderclap, baby crying, scream of madness, or everyone’s ears bleed a little and they forget the question was asked for 24 hours.

BobZan
2018-01-29, 11:28 AM
Ilsensine, THE Mind Flayer

Millstone85
2018-01-29, 12:04 PM
Ilsensine, THE Mind FlayerOr perhaps an eyestalk of Great Mother, THE beholder.

If the tentacle doesn't seem to be attached to anything else than the eye, then it could be the Summoning Dark from the Discworld novels.

https://mythcreants.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/summoning_dark-273x344.png

Fayd
2018-01-29, 12:05 PM
Some of these could be a name on their own, or a title...

The Watcher
The Abyss (take care not to gaze too long...) the Unblinking
Togracse (it looks like an eyestalk, and that’s escargot backwards)

Some onomatopoeia of unsettling squelching sounds.

Less a name and more concepts, delivered telepathically, simultaneously, and wordlessly. (A series of geometric shapes, the color aquamarine, the smell of seafood just on the verge of going bad, and a crushing sense of ennui)

Asmotherion
2018-01-29, 12:27 PM
Well, if you're not going for the obvious Lovecraftian Trope (Which is Great, even if it's an Old One ^_^) here are some suggestions:

-Nameless One: You can literally think that's your patron's name, or be aware that your patron's being is beyond such concepts as "Names".
-You: A nice plot twist, were you secretly end up being your own Patron from a Different Time-Line. The reason you appear to yourself as a Tentacle with an Eyeball? I'll leave it to you and your DM to fill the Details.
-The Eldest: How about your Patron being the Epitome of the Elder Brains, and is pissed off their failures, deciding to take matters in his own hands...ehm tentacles? And he chose you to clear out their colonies from your plane, as he believes "this project and evidances of it need to be abandoned".

Beyond this, you can easyly adjust other myths to fit the D&D cosmology. Your Old One Patron may be a Refluffed Dark Side of the Force in the Star Wars Universe, or an entity living as a Parasite inside your body since your Birth, granting you power. Work with your DM, and don't be afraid to go out of the box. A good DM won't punish a Creative Trope, but will reward it instead.

Ganymede
2018-01-29, 12:32 PM
Quellix. Done.

Lord8Ball
2018-01-29, 12:41 PM
Xa'adoth The Eyes Between Worlds

bc56
2018-01-29, 01:07 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Thumbs up to Wiggly McWiggleface, I expected something like that. Thumbs up also to Evan.

In the end, I have decided on Adsunt Oculi, which is Latin for Tentacled Eye.

Thanks again.

Sariel Vailo
2018-01-29, 04:21 PM
He Who Watches
Mr. Wiggly
Thousand Year Restrict

I am adding this gok to my worlds and evan