PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Themed Paladin / Warlock

DiaZyn
2018-01-29, 09:07 AM
Woo, first post and it's about something I'm playing and considering future development of the character on.

Character theme blurb: The character is a human that gave herself into the service of an entity far beyond the norm for the game-world. She swore oaths and served as she was able, and eventually drew the entity's attention. At the time when this happened, it began to carefully change her, filling her with its power. This entity is in effect, a semi-benevolent Great Old One that she stumbled upon through study, swore oaths to it when she believed she'd found what it valued... (Becoming a paladin in very specific service), and then through service earned the start of her own ascension into something else. (The ascension being a more direct drawing of its power through warlock levels.)

The party is currently level 7.

I started with variant human for Resilient: Con, then went Oath of Ancients Paladin to level 6, taking Warcaster at level 4. Then 1 level in warlock for level 7, earning one of the staples of her continuing build for EB.

Stats: STR - 14, Dex - 13, Con - 15, Wis - 13, Int - 12, Cha - 17. Rolled, kind of middling but I think I can work with it.

My plan is to round out to level 12 (assuming I don't die) with 8 in Ancients Paladin, 4 in Tome Warlock to fit the theme. Work toward heavy armor stat requirements, keep her with a shield and quarterstaff (with Shillelegh through Tome) for melee and smite fishing, but otherwise rely heavily on a buffed Eldritch Blast.

But from there, I have... no real direction. I could continue in warlock, and I probably will unless something else fits better. However, reading through the sorc description, I could also fold in a block of sorc via wild magic, skin it as being a surge of the new magic that's developing in a new way and give myself a lot more spellcasting resources to draw from.

I prefer to play to character theme more so than power-gaming, but I do like the idea of giving my character more resources to draw on and more options, while still remaining dependent on mostly the one CHA stat. Would it be better for ease of use and character power (so she can keep up with the party) to stay with warlock? Or would a splash of sorc be worth it for build optimization?

I'm not sure what other info folks need, but I'm more than willing to fill in. It should be noted that I'm relatively new to 5e, with two short and early-cancellation games before this game. DM has mentioned he plans to take things up into the high 16+ levels thus far, though whether we survive that long with the current characters remains to be seen.

nickl_2000
2018-01-29, 09:22 AM
Do you have access to Xanathar's Guide to Everything?

This build screams for using a Hexblade Warlock. Hexblade's allow you to use your Charisma bonus to apply to your weapon attacks and damage, which is exactly what you need with those stats.

DiaZyn
2018-01-29, 09:28 AM
I do not at the current time, but I'm looking into trying to get my hands on it. Might see if I can borrow a friend's at least to read through and write down the Hexblade stuff for as far as I can take it.

nickl_2000
2018-01-29, 09:32 AM
I do not at the current time, but I'm looking into trying to get my hands on it. Might see if I can borrow a friend's at least to read through and write down the Hexblade stuff for as far as I can take it.

Borrow it and check it out if you can. Although you may not like it from a RP perspective. You can also look at the Celestial Warlock from a RP perspective, although it wouldn't be as good for a Min/maxing (I'm struggling with the same thing for a Bard that I have. Hexblade is the best options, but College of Fey and Celestial Warlock make the most sense RP wise. It's an inner struggle).

Here is a link to the UA version of it. It's not the same as the final version, but at least you can get a feel of how the class works in the final version in Xanathar's
https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/20170213_Wizrd_Wrlck_UAv2_i48nf.pdf

DiaZyn
2018-01-29, 09:36 AM
I'll give it a look, for sure.

One of the things I was considering a third dip into sorc was for improving my ability to cast. Normally, I wouldn't want to spread myself too thin or muddy the waters, but I'm still not entirely sure on the balance of power considering how it seems warlocks rely heavily on Eldritch Blast anyway. Buffing that up some.

RP wise, I'm not sure I'd want to tie my character to a sentient artifact, as the character is themed around serving the ancient entity. If I did go Hexblade, I would likely try to rig it as a sentient... artifact that is an extension of the entity or something.

It's all just under consideration, and I've been reading a lot of giantitp forums at work, figured I'd see about picking some brains. :)

DiaZyn
2018-02-01, 11:11 AM
I wonder... how much power I'd lose from going pure or sticking to a two class build... for something like the following.

Oath of Ancients - Paladin(6) - Levels 1-6
Great Old One - Warlock(3) - Level 6-9
Oath of Ancients - Paladin(7) - Level 10
Oath of Ancients - Paladin(8) / Great Old One - Warlock(4) - Levels 11-12, Order doesn't really matter.
Great Old One - Warlock(5) - Level 13
Wild Magic(or another variation that fits my character theme) - Sorceror(4) - Levels 14-17
Great Old One - Warlock(8) - Levels 18-20

For a combo of:

OoA:Paladin-8
GOO:Warlock-8 (Tome Pact)
WM:Sorceror-4

By level 20, assuming the character and game gets that far.

Feats: Resilient(Con), Warcaster, Heavy Armor Mastery
ASI focus: CHA to 20, STR until I can wear the heaviest armor available, then Con/Dex or another feat.

Invocations: Agonizing Blast, Book of Ancient Secrets, Devil's Sight, and then Misty Visions to round out, though Misty Visions is kind of a "eh, that's neat and could be useful" choice.

The character is intended to not be a super powerhouse, but to be reliable ranged damage through Eldritch Blast, falling into Shillelagh(Quarterstaff)+ Shield for melee, with tanky utility for the party that I've got here.

The Sorc levels would add 4 levels of raw casting to my paladin side, offering some more slots and more spellcasting flexibility. I'm also a player that tends to rely heavily on cantrips more so than higher level spells, using those cantrips as creatively as I can.

Is there any major glaring drawback here that I'm missing?

BobZan
2018-02-01, 11:18 AM
Totally fine the way you're going.

You can use Plate Mail with STR 14-, you'll lose 10ft movement.

Since your BG is a GOO patron, Hexblade wouldn't fit it. So stick with Shillelagh, will work wonders.

I'd recommend Paladin 11 after 8/4, it's a good power spike for Paladins. Max out CHA as soon as you can, aswell.

DiaZyn
2018-02-01, 11:41 AM
Sweet. Thank you much for the thoughts. I will take a look at 11 levels in paladin.

:)