PDA

View Full Version : And the burning corpse rose above the grave...

ilovefire
2007-08-26, 10:42 AM
Warning: I'm no good at tables, otherwise the damage tables in this would be actual tables, not just lists. Help?

Revenants

Revenants appear much as they did in life, but depending on the elemental bound to the corpse in question, have varying, usually highly disturbing features, They are made by binding an elemental, paraelemental, quasielemental, quasiparaelemental, or an energon to a recently-dead humanoid or monstrous humanoid corpse.

Revenants have a 10% chance of being able to speak one language the base creature knew in life, and all may speak the languages that the elemental or energon spoke.

Creating a Revenant

“Revenant” is an acquired template that can be added to any humanoid, monstrous humanoid, giant, or fae (Henceforth referred to as the base creature) and any elemental or energon (Henceforth referred to as the base elemental).

A Revenant uses all the base creature’s racial abilities, but loses those gained from class levels, and gains new ones based on the bound elemental, as described below.

Size and Type: A Revenant’s type changes to Undead with the Augmented and Extraplanar subtypes. They also gain the elemental and energy subtypes of the base elemental. Size is unchanged.

Hit Dice: To calculate the number of hit dice, average the number of HD the base creature and base elemental have (assuming a creature with no HD to have one). These hit dice are Undead hit dice.

Attack bonus, Saves, Skills, and Feats: Calculate base attack bonus and saves based off of the HD of the Revenant. Revenants have skills equal to 4+INT modifier (as undead), and have the class skills of the base elemental or energon, plus the base creature's if the base creature had racial HD. The Revenant keeps the bonus feats of the base creature and elemental, and selects new feats based on HD from the ones the base elemental or energon had, with the exception of feats such as Ability Focus, or feats affecting spell like abilities.

Speed:
Revenants with fire-based elementals or energons gain a +10 bonus to landspeed.
Revenants with air-based elementals or energons gain a fly speed equal to their landspeed, with average maneuverability.
Revenants with water-based elementals or energons gain a swim speed equal to their landspeed.
Revenants with earth-based elementals or energons gain a burrow speed equal to their landspeed.
Revenants based on energons that have no elemental properties have no changes to speed.

Armor Class: Average the base creature’s and the base elemental’s natural armor bonus, and apply that as a new natural armor bonus to the Revenant.

Attack: Revenants gain two slam attacks, dealing damage based on the base creature’s size (see the below table). In addition, the slam attacks and any previous natural attacks also deal damage based on the elemental or energon in question (See special qualities). Revenants that could use manufacted weapons retain this ability.

Table 1-1: Slam Damage by Size
{table]Size|Damage
Fine|1
Diminutive|1d2
Tiny|1d3
Small|1d4
Medium|1d6
Large|1d8
Huge|2d6
Gargantuan|2d8
Colossal|4d6[/table]

Special Attacks:

Elemental Strike (Su): Revenants channel the powers of the bound elemental or energon to deal extra damage of the same type as the elemental or energon, based on the size of the elemental or energon. Multi-type elementals or energons deal damage that is equally all types of the elemental or energon (example: an Ash quasielemental’s extra damage is ½ fire and ½ negative energy.)

Table 1-2: Elemental Strike Damage
{table]Size|Damage
Fine|1d2
Diminutive|1d3
Tiny|1d4
Small|1d6
Medium|1d8
Large|2d6
Huge|2d8
Gargantuan|4d6
Colossal|6d6[/table]

Special Qualities:

Elemental Immunity: Revenants are immune to the element or elements of the bound elemental or energon, with the exception of negative energy (which always heals Revenants) and positive energy (which always harms them).

Elemental Surge: When a Revenant is dealt damage of one of it’s bound elemental’s or energon’s types, the energy surges through the Revenant, giving it +6 Str, +6 Dex, a +4 bonus to all saves, and DR 5/magic. They also take a -4 penalty to AC and lose 1d10 HP as a result of the surging energies. This lasts for a number of roudns equal to the Revenant's charisma modifier, minimum one.

Elemental Aura: The presence of Revenants causes elements and energies to be less controllable and harder to tame. Within 30’ of a Revenant, their elements and energies become more difficult to resist, more damaging, and are easier to come into existence. This is represented by a +1 to the DC, and an extra die of damage (or healing, in the case of positive energy spells) of all spells and abilities with the Revenant’s element for a descriptor,

Abilities: Average together the base creature’s and base elemental’s ability bonuses for physical stats. Use the elemental’s or energon’s mental stats. As undead, Revenants do not have a constitution score.

Environment: Any elemental or energy plane, or as the base creature.

Organization: Solitary, Pair, Group (3-5), Mass (6-10), or Mob (10+)

CR: ((Base Creature’s + Base Elemental’s)/2)+2

Treasure: Standard

Alignment: As the base elemental

Advancement: By Character Class

Level Adjustment: --

TheLogman
2007-08-26, 11:40 AM
I'm sorry to say, but as of a few weeks ago, new submissions are not allowed into the MitP. You can still submit this monster to the public, but it will not be allowed into the book.

ilovefire
2007-08-26, 11:46 AM
D'oh. What i get for not paying attention.

Ah well, topic's fixed now.

Zeta Kai
2007-08-26, 11:59 AM
Table 1-1: Slam Damage by Size
{table]Size|Damage
Fine|1
Diminutive|1d2
Tiny|1d3
Small|1d4
Medium|1d6
Large|1d8
Huge|2d6
Gargantuan|2d8
Colossal|4d6[/table]

Zeta Kai
2007-08-26, 12:01 PM
Table 1-2: Elemental Strike Damage by Size
{table]Size|Damage
Fine|1d2
Diminutive|1d3
Tiny|1d4
Small|1d6
Medium|1d8
Large|2d6
Huge|2d8
Gargantuan|4d6
Colossal|6d6[/table]

ilovefire
2007-08-26, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the help with the tables, Zeta Kai. Now that the formatting is all correct, are there any comments on the fluff? the crunch? Anything?

Kaelaroth
2007-08-26, 01:08 PM
I like it, it's a nice idea. I am running a weird-undead campaign at the moment, on a haunted island. I'll try to use it!

Gralamin
2007-08-26, 01:49 PM
Not sure on the balance of this. Thus I'll make a sample creature.

Things I noticed During Construction:

You forgot to note that they do not have a constitution Score (Unless that was intentional)
No way to know what the Base attack bonus is. I've decided to take average in this example.
Also no way of calculating saves. Again, I take average.
No way of knowing who's feats. I took the Rogues
And skills are unclear, I just took the rogue physical based skills, and the Elemental's Mental stats.
How long does Elemental Surge last?
I'm guessing the saves and BAB are based on the undead type.

[hr]
Sample Revenant
This Revenant was made by binding a Medium Fire Elemental to a 2nd level Human Rogue

Revenant 2nd level Rogue
Medium Undead(Augmented Humanoid[Human], Extraplanar, Fire)
HD 3d12 (17 HP)
Speed 40 ft. (6 squares);
Init: +7
AC 16 (+3 Dex, + 1 Natural Armor, +2 Leather Armor); touch 13; flat-footed 13
BAB +1; Grp +2
Attack Slam +4 (1d6+1, x2, +Elemental Strike (+1d8 Fire))
Full-Attack 2 Slams +4 (1d6+1, x2, +Elemental Strike (+1d8 Fire))
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Elemental Strike, Sneak Attack +1d6
Special Qualities: Fire Immunity, Elemental Surge, Elemental Aura, Evasion, trapfinding.
Saves Fort +1 Ref +4 Will +3
Abilities Str 12, Dex 16, Con -, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11
Skills: Listen +3, Spot +3
Feats: DodgeB (Human), Improved InitiativeB, Mobility, Weapon FinesseB.
Environment: Elemental Plane of Fire, or Material Plane
Organization Solitary, Pair, Group (3-5), Mass (6-10), or Mob (10+)
Challenge Rating 3
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually Neutral
Advancement by Character class (Favored Class: Rogue)
Level Adjustment --

Elemental Strike (Su): Fire Revenants channel the powers of the bound fire Elemental to deal an extra 1d8 fire damage.

Fire Immunity: Fire Revenants are immune to Fire.

Elemental Surge: When a Fire Revenant is dealt fire damage, the energy surges through the Revenant, giving it +6 Str, +6 Dex, a +4 bonus to all saves, and DR 5/magic. They also take a -4 penalty to AC and lose 1d10 HP as a result of the surging energies. This lasts for one round.

Elemental Aura: The presence of Fire Revenants causes elements and energies to be less controllable and harder to tame. Within 30’ of a Fire Revenant, fire elements and energies become more difficult to resist, more damaging, and are easier to come into existence. This is represented by a +1 to the DC, and an extra die of damage for all spells and abilities with the fire descriptor.

ilovefire
2007-08-26, 02:44 PM
Gralamin: Fixing all of that...

1: That was just an honest mistake, fixed.

2: Fixed, forgot to include it when I changed this from a creature to a template.

3: same as the problem with BAB, I forgot to mention it in the creature-to-template conversion.

4: Fixed.

5: Fixed.

6: Fixed.

Jibar
2007-08-26, 03:10 PM
What was the inspiration behind this then?
I'm thinking of the enemies from Warcraft III, but I suspect there was some other source for it.

ilovefire
2007-08-26, 03:26 PM
The Revenants from WCIII were a partial inspiration, but most of the inspiration came from the fact that I thought that it would be interesting to have fire-based undead, thought about having them powered by fire elementals, then thought 'Wouldn't it be cool to have an entire category of undead powered by elementals? And paraelementals? And quasielementals? And quasiparaelementals? and energons too, for good measure?', idea-bounced off of a couple of my friends, and started statting them out.

Gralamin
2007-08-26, 03:33 PM
Updated example above. If anything looks up just tell me, and I'll fix the thing. (All templates need a good sample after all)

ilovefire
2007-08-26, 03:39 PM
It looks fine to me, Gralamin. Thanks.

ilovefire
2007-09-02, 05:32 PM
I hate to double post, but I'd really like mroe feedback on this, please.