PDA

View Full Version : Attack questions

TopsideDrow
2018-01-29, 01:36 PM
I have a level 5 Ranger. I'm equipped with a similar of speed and a custom dagger my character had made from a beast's stinger. I also have two weapon fighting. My group has been debating on how many attacks rolls he will make during each of my turns, being how I have SoS extra attack and two weapon fighting. Thanks for any help in advance!

DivisibleByZero
2018-01-29, 01:37 PM
You get one bonus action.

nickl_2000
2018-01-29, 01:40 PM
At 5th level you have gotten your extra attack so if you use an attack action you may:

Make 2 attacks with your Scimitar of Speed
Then
you may use your bonus action to either attack again with your scimitar of speed
OR
You may use your bonus action to make an attack with your second hand Beast's Stinger dagger.

So, max attacks with those items is 3. 2 as part of the attack action and 1 bonus action attack.

Aett_Thorn
2018-01-29, 01:40 PM
Scimitar of Speed:

You gain a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon. In addition, you can make one attack with it as a bonus action on each of your turns.

Using this with two-weapon fighting, you get +2 bonus with any attacks made with it, and +2 to damage rolls. However, since you only get one bonus action per turn, you'll have to decide if you want to use that for a bonus attack from the scimitar, OR the attack from your off-hand dagger.

SirGraystone
2018-01-29, 01:44 PM
Since ranger get extra attack at the 5th level, you can do 2 attacks with your main hand, but you only have 1 bonus action that you can use with the Scimitar of Speed or your off hand dagger but not both.

So you either do 3 attacks with the scimitar or 2 scimitar and 1 dagger attack, but either way your total is 3.

TopsideDrow
2018-01-29, 01:48 PM
Thanks
So would that double if I decided to multi-class into the fighter and get action surge? Or would that just give me an extra attack(or 2) with my SOS?

nickl_2000
2018-01-29, 01:51 PM
Thanks
So would that double if I decided to multi-class into the fighter and get action surge? Or would that just give me an extra attack(or 2) with my SOS?

Action Surge gives you an extra action so you get 5 attacks that turn. 2 regular action + 2 action surge + 1 bonus action.

Dudewithknives
2018-01-29, 01:51 PM
Thanks

Action surge gives you another attack action, but does not give another bonus action.

Ranger 5/Fighter 2

Main attack x2
Bonus action attack x1

Action surge
Main attack again x2

The issues is that a Scimitar of Speed makes Two Weapon Fighting useless.
You can make the bonus attack with your scimitar of speed anyway and add the stat, TWF does nothing.

You could take the SOS and use a shield if you want, but now you have a pointless fighting style.

TopsideDrow
2018-01-29, 01:52 PM
Thanks! My group kept giving me answers from 3 to 7 per turn.

nickl_2000
2018-01-29, 01:53 PM
Thanks! My group kept giving me answers from 3 to 7 per turn.

I'm super curious the reasoning someone came up with for you to have 7 attacks in a single turn

TopsideDrow
2018-01-29, 01:54 PM
Action surge gives you another attack action, but does not give another bonus action.

Ranger 5/Fighter 2

Main attack x2
Bonus action attack x1

Action surge
Main attack again x2

The issues is that a Scimitar of Speed makes Two Weapon Fighting useless.
You can make the bonus attack with your scimitar of speed anyway and add the stat, TWF does nothing.

You could take the SOS and use a shield if you want, but now you have a pointless fighting style.

I just got the SoS in our last run from a gambling dwarf in a game of midget tossing. But yeah, the style is useless now. Lol

TopsideDrow
2018-01-29, 01:56 PM
I'm super curious the reasoning someone came up with for you to have 7 attacks in a single turn

Not sure myself...

Mikal
2018-01-29, 01:56 PM

My guess?

Main Hand- 3 (2 regular, 1 speed)
Offhand- 4? (2 regular, 1 speed from scimitar, 1 bonus?)

TopsideDrow
2018-01-29, 01:57 PM
My guess?

Theoretically seems sound at least?!

Dudewithknives
2018-01-29, 02:00 PM
My guess?

I was thinking they were looking at it like 3.5

Main hand 3 attacks extra from SOS
Off hand 3 attack like 3.5 one for each main hand
1 extra from ranger abilities like hunter or whatever.

Or maybe they were looking at it from action surge ability

2 main
2 off from TWF
2 more main
1 more off from SOS

DivisibleByZero
2018-01-29, 02:03 PM
They probably didn't count SoS as a bonus, which made it screwy.
Attack, ExAttack, SoS
Surge: Attack, ExAttack, SoS
Bonus: TWF
3+3+1

Aett_Thorn
2018-01-29, 02:06 PM
This conversations reminds me of this:

"MISS SCARLET: You as a mere butler have no access to government secrets. So, I’m afraid your moment has come.
WODSWORTH: Not so fast Miss Scarlet. I do know a secret or two.
MISS SCARLET: Oh yeah, such as?
WODSWORTH: The game’s up Scarlet, there are no more bullets left in that gun.
MISS SCARLET: Come on, I am not going to fall for that old trick.
WODSWORTH: It’s not a trick. There was one shot at Mr Body in the study, two for the chandelier, two at the lounge door and one for the singing telegram.
MISS SCARLET: That’s not six.
WODSWORTH: One plus two plus two plus one (1+2+2+1).
MISS SCARLET: Ahah, there was only one shot that got the chandelier. That’s one plus two plus one plus one (1+2+1+1).
WODSWORTH: Even if you were right that would one plus one plus two plus one (1+1+2+1) not one plus two plus one plus one.
MISS SCARLET: Ok, fine 1+2+1…. Shut up! Point is, there is one more bullet left in this gun and guess who is going to get it?"

Malifice
2018-01-29, 11:46 PM
I have a level 5 Ranger. I'm equipped with a similar of speed and a custom dagger my character had made from a beast's stinger. I also have two weapon fighting. My group has been debating on how many attacks rolls he will make during each of my turns, being how I have SoS extra attack and two weapon fighting. Thanks for any help in advance!

2 attacks when you take the attack action. That uses up your regular action.

Then you can make an extra attack with either your off hand OR your magic scimitar. Both use your bonus action, and you only get the one bonus action per turn.

So three attacks.

You'll also be using your bonus action for Hunters mark pretty often, so it'll be 2 attacks most of the time.

Malifice
2018-01-29, 11:50 PM
Thanks

2 levels of Fighter gets you action surge which lets you take an extra action on your turn 1/ short rest.

If you used that extra action for the attack action, and use your normal action for the attack action you get:

Action: Attack action [make 2 attacks due to Extra attack class feature]
Action 2 (via action surge): Attack action [make 2 attacks due to Extra attack class feature]
Bonus action: Make an off hand attack, or attack with the Scimitar of speed.

So 5 attacks when you action surge and use both actions for the attack action plus use your bonus action granting a 5th attack.