PDA

View Full Version : Planeshift: Ravnica [Homebrew]

the_brazenburn
2018-01-29, 01:42 PM
Hi there!

This is my most ambitious project yet, and it isn't finished yet. I will be constantly updating it based on feedback from the forums and my own edits.

Ravnica has always been my favorite of the MtG worlds, and so I decided to homebrew a Planeshift version myself. It is below.

Azorius:

The Azorius Senate is a guild that focuses on the rule of law, with the primary colors of White and Blue. Numbered among its members are humans, merfolk, leonin, and sphinxes (detailed below). They are led by Isperia, a noble gynosphinx who is the ultimate decider all cases of crime and punishment in Azorius territory. Azorius members include fighters, rogues, clerics, and sorcerers of all types. Azorius membership also grants access to the Oath of the Crown paladin and the Abjurer wizard.

Selesnya:

The Selesnya Conclave is a guild that focuses on teamwork and unity, with the primary colors of White and Green. Numbered among its members are humans, leonin, and dryads (detailed below). They are led by the Trostrani, a triumvirate of dryads who speak as the voice of the goddess Selesnya. Selesnya members include fighters, rogues, clerics, and sorcerers of all types. Selesnya membership also grants access to the Oath of the Ancients paladin and the Circle of the Shepherd druid.

Boros:

The Boros Legion is a guild that focuses on the military enforcement of order, with the primary colors of Red and White. Numbered among its members are humans, leonin, goblins, and angels (detailed below). They are led by Aurelia, a solar angel who leads the Legion in battle against the forces of evil in Ravnica. Boros members include fighters, rogues, clerics, and sorcerers of all types. Boros membership also grants access to the Oath of Devotion paladin and the Zealot barbarian.

Orzhov:

The Orzhov Syndicate is a guild that focuses on the corruption and decadence of the wealthy, with the primary colors of Black and White. Numbered among its members are humans, leonin, vampires, and ghosts (detailed below). They are led by the Obzedat, a council of ghosts who organize the syndicate’s commercial ventures and religious scams. Orzhov members include fighters, rogues, clerics, and sorcerers of all types. Orzhov membership also grants access to the Oath of Vengeance paladin and the Undying warlock.

Simic:

The Simic Combine is a guild that focuses on selectively breeding and mutating creatures to create more efficient beings, with the primary colors of Blue and Green. Numbered among its members are humans, merfolk, elves, and deepmen (detailed below). They are led by Prime Speaker Zegana, a merfolk biomancer who controls the creation of krasises, the mutants made by their insane breeding programs. Simic members include fighters, rogues, clerics, and sorcerers of all types. Simic membership also grants access to the Circle of the Land druid and the Transmutation wizard.

Dimir:

House Dimir is a guild that focuses on secrecy and subtlety, with the primary colors of Black and Blue. Numbered among its members are humans, merfolk, vampires, and horrors (detailed below). They are led by Lazav, a shapeshifter who masterminds all the schemes and underground deals made by the guild. Dimir members include fighters, rogues, clerics, and sorcerers of all types. Dimir membership also grants access to the Illusion wizard and the Great Old One warlock.

Izzet:

The Izzet League is a guild that focuses on new discoveries and technological accomplishments, with the primary colors of Blue and Red. Numbered among its members are humans, merfolk, goblins, and dragonborn (detailed below). They are led by Niv-Mizzet, an ancient blue dragon who authorizes all experiments performed by the increasingly unstable guildmages. Izzet members include fighters, rogues, clerics, and sorcerers of all types. Izzet membership also grants access to the Evoker wizard and the Storm Herald barbarian.

Gruul:

The Gruul Clans are a guild that focus on the destruction of Ravnican society, with the primary colors of Red and Green. Numbered among its members are humans, elves, goblins, and minotaurs (detailed below). They are led by Borborygmos, a cyclops berserker who leads the guilds raids against societies across the world. Gruul members include fighters, rogues, clerics, and sorcerers of all types. Gruul membership also grants access to the Circle of the Land druid and the Totem Warrior barbarian.

Golgari:

The Orzhov Syndicate is a guild that focuses on the cycle of life and death, with the primary colors of Black and Green. Numbered among its members are humans, elves, vampires, and gorgons (detailed below). They are led by the lichmaster Jarad, whose sense of approaching death is stronger than any other’s. Golgari members include fighters, rogues, clerics, and sorcerers of all types. Golgari membership also grants access to the Circle of Spores druid and the Fey warlock.

Rakdos:

The Cult of Rakdos is a guild that focuses on the destruction of all the world, with the primary colors of Black and Red. Numbered among its members are humans, goblins, vampires, and demons (detailed below). They are led by Rakdos, a balor demon who is worshipped fanatically by the cultists that make up the rank and file of his organization. Rakdos members include fighters, rogues, clerics, and sorcerers of all types. Rakdos membership also grants access to the Berserker barbarian and the Fiend warlock.

A note on Races: Humans use the variant human stats from the PHB, Leonin use Tabaxi stats from Volo's ,Elves use wood elf stats, merfolk use Triton statistics, goblins use the stats from Volo's, and vampires are reskinned Feral Tieflings.

Sphinx:
+2 Int, +1 Cha
Base speed 30 feet, 30 foot fly speed
Spellcasting: You know the ray of frost cantrip. At 3rd level, you can cast the spell shield of faith once per day. At 5th level, you can cast the spell detect thoughts once per day.
Inscrutable Mind: You are immune to Insight checks, detect thoughts, and the charmed condition.
Detain: Once per rest, you may touch a humanoid hostile to you. The target must succeed on a Constitution saving throw (DC=10+your Cha modifier+your proficiency bonus) or be incapacitated for 1 minute.

Dryad:
+2 Wis, +1 Con
Base speed 30 feet
Darkvision 60 feet
Tree Stride: Once per turn, you may use 30 feet of your movement to teleport from a tree you are touching to another tree within 60 feet. All the equipment you are wearing or carrying teleports with you, but you cannot take other non-dryads with you.
Populate: Once per rest, you may cast the awaken spell on an animal or plant within 30 feet of you. The target must have a CR of 1 or less (for plants, use the awakened version of their stat block to determine CR). The duration of this spell is only 1 hour, but it only takes 1 action to cast.

Angel:
+2 Str, +1 Cha
Base speed 30 feet, 30 foot fly
You have resistance to radiant damage.
Angelic Weapons: Your melee weapon attacks deal an additional 1d4 radiant damage on a hit.
Battalion: If you and at least two others all take the Attack action during the same round, you all gain advantage on the attack rolls.

Ghost:
+2 Cha, +1 Dex
You have a 30 foot fly speed and no walking speed.
Darkvision 120 feet
Ethereal Jaunt: Once per round, you may spend 30 feet of your movement to travel 15 feet through the Ethereal Plane. You are still visible to onlookers on the Material Plane, but any of their attempts to interact with you fail.
Extort: Once per rest, you may exude vampiric energy from your form. An opponent of your choice takes 2d8 necrotic damage, and you regain an equal number of hit points.

Deepman:
+2 Con, +1 Dex
Base speed 30 feet, 30 feet swim
Darkvision 60 feet
Amphibious: You can breathe both air and water.
Evolve: Once per rest, if an ally of yours is of higher level (or CR, is they have no level), then you gain 2d12 temporary HP.

Dragonborn:
+2 Cha, +1 Str
Base speed 30 feet
Draconic Heritage: You gain resistance to one damage type of your choice. Choose from the following list: Fire, Lightning, Cold, Acid, or Poison.
Breath Weapon: Once per rest, you can breathe damaging energy of the same damage type of your Draconic Heritage. It hits any opponent in a 15-foot cone (if fire, poison, or cold) or a 5-foot wide, 30-foot long line (if lightning or acid).
Overload: Once per rest, when you deal damage from any of the above damage types, you may choose to roll double damage dice. If you do, you must make a DC 10+spell level Constitution save or take the damage yourself.

Horror:
+2 Int, +1 Dex
Base speed 30 feet, 30 feet fly
Darkvision 120 feet
Spellcasting: You know the minor illusion cantrip. At 3rd level, you may cast the spell ray of sickness once per rest. At 5th level, you my cast the spell darkness once per day. Intelligence is the casting stat for these spells.
Cipher: Once per day, if you cast a spell of 1st level to 3rd level, you may expend an extra spell slot. If you do, you may cast the spell in an identical fashion again each turn for one minute without expending spell slots. You can do this automatically with your racial spells.

Minotaur:
+2 Str, +1 Con
Base speed 30 feet
Horns of Fury: You can make a special attack with your horns once per turn. It is a Strength-based natural melee weapon with which you are considered to be proficient. It deals 1d8 piercing damage and forces the opponent to make a Strength save (DC=10+your Str modifier+your proficiency bonus) or be knocked prone.
Brute: On a critical hit with a Strength-based melee weapon, you roll one additional damage die.
Bloodrush: Once per rest, when you reduce an opponent to 0 hit points, you may take an additional action immediately afterwards.

Any suggestions?

In4Dimensions
2018-01-29, 01:44 PM
I love it! I’ve always been intrigued by Ravnica as well. One thing, however: why do the Azorius include rogues? Considering that they are basically law incarnate, rogues don’t really fit, at least for me.

Also, what about Conjurers, Diviners, and Necromancers?

the_brazenburn
2018-01-29, 01:49 PM
I love it! I’ve always been intrigued by Ravnica as well. One thing, however: why do the Azorius include rogues? Considering that they are basically law incarnate, rogues don’t really fit, at least for me.

Also, what about Conjurers, Diviners, and Necromancers?

Rogues are just stealthy, smart tricksters. Azorius has hussars, which are basically anti-rogue rogues.

the_brazenburn
2018-01-29, 02:07 PM
Guild-specific races will be up tomorrow.

MylesOtter
2018-01-29, 02:10 PM
I'm running a Ravnica game currently. I've come up with a few documents you might find a use for:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlgtTsEfPdCziMIQak7YtIOZpIZOXA

the_brazenburn
2018-01-29, 02:17 PM
I'm running a Ravnica game currently. I've come up with a few documents you might find a use for:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlgtTsEfPdCziMIQak7YtIOZpIZOXA

These are great, thanks!

Sariel Vailo
2018-01-29, 03:10 PM
What about the bard of whispers for dimir and bard college of blade and valor for boros.

Sariel Vailo
2018-01-29, 03:11 PM
As for vampires i use the zendikar vampires and just fluff it up

the_brazenburn
2018-01-29, 04:39 PM
I didn't include bard or monk on purpose. The themes don't seem to fit with Ravnican society (though the examples you offered certainly would fit thematically). I also avoided including ranger so as not to overload the green guilds with class options.

MylesOtter
2018-01-29, 04:59 PM
Most of my players are playing Guildless. I have one Izzet Artificer that recently joined, but the rest are looking to earn Guild badges through politics, bribery or achievement (or looking to avoid any Guilds altogether).

The Guilds are fun and have a huge impact on every moment in Ravnica, even if you aren't guilded. I wouldn't pigeonhole players into having to choose a Guild; and on that vein, I wouldn't limit classes to particular Guilds - I have a former Simic druid who applies her magic by using cytoplastic blobs to attach to her targets. Just skin the class to fit the desired flavour :)

(And for those curious, the Simic was blamed for a lab explosion and sold to the Orzhov to pay for damages; she was badly wounded, but the Orzhov believe in debt after death - they raised her as a zombie slave - but she escaped and is really not interested in meeting any other Simic...)

the_brazenburn
2018-01-29, 05:28 PM
Most of my players are playing Guildless. I have one Izzet Artificer that recently joined, but the rest are looking to earn Guild badges through politics, bribery or achievement (or looking to avoid any Guilds altogether).

The Guilds are fun and have a huge impact on every moment in Ravnica, even if you aren't guilded. I wouldn't pigeonhole players into having to choose a Guild; and on that vein, I wouldn't limit classes to particular Guilds - I have a former Simic druid who applies her magic by using cytoplastic blobs to attach to her targets. Just skin the class to fit the desired flavour :)

(And for those curious, the Simic was blamed for a lab explosion and sold to the Orzhov to pay for damages; she was badly wounded, but the Orzhov believe in debt after death - they raised her as a zombie slave - but she escaped and is really not interested in meeting any other Simic...)

It is true that my method is a bit pigeonholed. However, the guilds are the driving force in Ravnica, and it seems reasonable to have some options available only to specific guilds. That being said, you can just adapt that parts of my system that you like, and ignore the others.

the_brazenburn
2018-01-30, 09:01 AM
I'm surprised nobody has objected to my giving every guild access to sorcerer instead of wizard.

Sariel Vailo
2018-01-30, 11:01 AM
Sorcerer is fun and chaotic good for most of the guilds wizards require law and repetition

the_brazenburn
2018-01-30, 11:46 AM
The races are taking longer than I expected. I've added four of them to the OP: Azorius Sphinx, Selesnya Dryad, Boros Angel, and Orzhov Ghost. Please let me know if you think they are balanced!

the_brazenburn
2018-01-31, 11:13 AM
I've added two more races: the Simic Deepman and the Izzet Dragonborn. Please comment on how you liked or didn't like them, or if you think they are balanced or unbalanced, so that I can alter them as necessary.

the_brazenburn
2018-02-01, 10:15 AM
Two more races are up! I've got the Dimir Horror and the Gruul Minotaur.

I haven't made a lot of races before, so I really need help on making sure they are balanced.

The final ones will be up tomorrow!

Sariel Vailo
2018-02-01, 10:29 AM
That minotaur racial is gold just nice. I like the dimir one but meh.that minotaur is more or less just i think it should be the new minotaur for 5e.

the_brazenburn
2018-02-01, 01:05 PM
That minotaur racial is gold just nice. I like the dimir one but meh.that minotaur is more or less just i think it should be the new minotaur for 5e.

Thank you!

Is there something wrong with the Horror? I was worried it might be underpowered.

Sariel Vailo
2018-02-01, 04:04 PM
Its easily turning the break factor.
Sorcerer metamagic pop
Double meteor or double polymorph i can see a horror well here i cast and cipher enlarge on my fighter after making it become a bonus action. So i still have some slots to burn metamagic just busts this.

the_brazenburn
2018-02-01, 05:52 PM
Its easily turning the break factor.
Sorcerer metamagic pop
Double meteor or double polymorph i can see a horror well here i cast and cipher enlarge on my fighter after making it become a bonus action. So i still have some slots to burn metamagic just busts this.

I can put a spell level cap on it?

Alternatively, I could mention something about "in an identical fashion" in the feature description. This would take Metamagic out of the equation entirely.

Sariel Vailo
2018-02-01, 08:12 PM
I can put a spell level cap on it?

Alternatively, I could mention something about "in an identical fashion" in the feature description. This would take Metamagic out of the equation entirely.

A little of column a and b maybe