PDA

View Full Version : Duom

Urudin
2018-01-29, 04:25 PM
I am trying to create NPC using reach weapon which would be able to attack adjacent foes but not being spiked chain. Is duom the right option? How does it exactly works with more than 1 attacks?

Darrin
2018-01-29, 04:42 PM
I am trying to create NPC using reach weapon which would be able to attack adjacent foes but not being spiked chain. Is duom the right option? How does it exactly works with more than 1 attacks?

The duom printed in the Dragon Compendium is a martial two-handed pole-arm with reach that can be used to attack adjacent opponents. It was previously printed in the Arms & Equipment Guide (March 2003) under the 3.0 rules as an exotic weapon, but Dragon Compendium was printed later (October 2005) and is considered the most recent 3.5 "source".

The weapon description says:

"The weapon has reach, allowing you to strike opponents 10 feet away with it. Those proficient with the duom can also attack adjacent foes with the reversed heads using a practiced "reversed strike." Apply a -2 penalty on the attack roll if you use the duom to attack a second adjacent opponent in the same round you attacked the first opponent."

If you attack one opponent 10' away, there is no penalty. If you attack one opponent 5' away (adjacent), there is no penalty. If you attack two or more opponents with the duom in the same round, then there's a -2 attack penalty. The text is a little ambiguous, but it looks like the -2 attack penalty applies to all duom attacks that round.

Urudin
2018-01-29, 04:54 PM
So basically if i have, for example, 2 attacks with Duom I can effectively make 4 attacks (2 to people in reach and 2 to adjacent ones) or 2 attacks (1 to adjacent and 1 to reach)?. It seems intuitive to me, that when i thrust a spear, i have to pull it back (using duom attack) so i can thrust it another time
Also, if the duom is martial, is there even any reason to use spear?

Darrin
2018-01-29, 05:13 PM
So basically if i have, for example, 2 attacks with Duom I can effectively make 4 attacks (2 to people in reach and 2 to adjacent ones) or 2 attacks (1 to adjacent and 1 to reach)?.

No, you don't get any additional attacks by using a duom. If you normally get two attacks (due to high BAB), you could decide to attack one opponent twice (no penalty), or two different opponents once (-2 penalty).

It seems intuitive to me, that when i thrust a spear, i have to pull it back (using duom attack) so i can thrust it another time

Whether you are stabbing forwards or backwards is mostly just fluff description. However you want to describe your attacks is up to you. It has no effect on how many attacks your character can normally make.

Also, if the duom is martial, is there even any reason to use spear?

There are lots of different reasons to use a different pole-arm. The duom, for example, can't make trip attacks (even though it's got two huge "hook-like" blades that most of the other trip-friendly weapons have). You may have feats or other abilities that require a slashing or bludgeoning weapon. Your DM may also be throwing books at your head for trying to munchkinize your way around spending a feat on Exotic Weapon Proficiency.