PDA

View Full Version : Player Help What items to buy as a gladiator babarian?

Detective
2018-01-29, 07:30 PM
Greetings all, dnd newbie coming through :). I have an interest currently to play a lizardfolk barbarian that was caught and turned into a gladiator.

As far as I can tell, using the "gladiator" of the entertainer background, I start with 15 golden coins as my standard I assume. Thing is, I am not sure what exactly I -should- get.
I need things that would fit thematically as a gladiator: A sash instead of a backpack for example, extra weapons for variety (thinking about a net perhaps?), and perhaps ball bearings and caltrops?

If any of you can help me out in figuring out what should I buy to start with as well, that would be a great help :smile:

Notes: I don't want any armor, since I want to count on unarmored defense as long as I can.
As a barbarian, I plan on starting with a glaive, two handaxes and an explorer's pack (I intend to switch the backpack for a sash to personally fit the theme a bit better)

Zonugal
2018-01-29, 08:02 PM
You should buy a whip!

Its only two gold pieces!

Detective
2018-01-29, 08:13 PM
*Looks at the glaive, with reach and more damage as well* I, uhh... Kind of can't see a reason for him to use a whip, sadly (even if it does sound interesting!)

I am kind of looking for items that would make a bit of sense of him to use "just in case". One such as example perhaps can be the sling? Both cheap, and gives him another way to strike from range if he'll run out of javelins or handaxes (Yeah, I got a feeling I'll throw them eventually too).

I don't mind getting underused, perhaps even underpowered weapons/items, so long as there is a reason for him to keep one as extra.

What about adventuring gear? An item I forgot to mention that could fit is a healer's kit (On the reasoning that he'll use it to bandage himself up after a fight). If needed, I can always keep some coins for later use :)

Nidgit
2018-01-29, 08:21 PM
I can't see a self-respect in gladiator using something as cheap as ball bearings or caltrops. A net could definitely work, or maybe a pair of scimitars?

Detective
2018-01-29, 08:30 PM
I can't see a self-respect in gladiator using something as cheap as ball bearings or caltrops. A net could definitely work, or maybe a pair of scimitars?

Lizardfolk are a more "pragmatic" race, with more detached emotions then other races (For example - While a regular human would fear being close to a troll, a lizardfolk will instead register the troll as something that is fearsome due to its size and strength). Thus, I believe the word "honour" will have little meaning towards the lizardfolk, if at all.

Could be a way to make him be a "heel" as a gladiator, hmm...

Unoriginal
2018-01-30, 06:33 AM
Lizardfolk don't feel fear, they just register that something is dangerous. As a gladiator, your PC will want to make sure *they* are the more dangerous one.

That being said, just killing your opponent in a pragmatic, quick manner probably would make one a terrible gladiator (people are here to be entertained, not to see bums getting rekt in 6 seconds), so maybe you could purchase something more flashy, like Alchemist' Fire or acid vials? It's both dangerous and visually impressive.

Gardakan
2018-01-30, 07:23 AM
Some nets. I mean... they're niche but they do restrain enemies. Shoot them with trident and javelins. Be some sort of a grappler maybe ? (Greek style).

A spiked gauntlet covering you that isn't armor. (On the shoulder like, strapped on the other side). Grab a Shield, and maybe a sword.

Have all these weapons and be a surprising barbarian that have weapons for different opponents.

Dyndrilliac
2018-01-30, 10:11 AM
Shoot them with trident and javelins.

I strongly second having a few javelins with you. They do the same amount of damage as your hand axes, but can be thrown further and are cheaper to replace. In fact, if memory serves, I believe the Barbarian comes with four javelins by default? Use your hand axes for Two-Weapon Fighting in the early game before you get your second attack so you can make Bonus Action attacks with the off-hand. Even if you're going to go Berserker this is still useful until you hit 3rd-level. I wouldn't switch to Scimitars like someone else suggested unless you're a DEX-based Barbarian for some reason.

I once ran a gladiatorial 5e campaign, and the Battlemaster Fighter of the group bought a portable ram for 4gp at character creation and strapped it to his back. Everyone wondered what he might do with it, but he wouldn't say. During one fight much later in the campaign, everyone is about level ~12 at this point, and he was in a 1v1 bout with his arch nemesis. He rolled a natural 20 on his initiative and wound up going first. By this point in the campaign he had won Boots of Speed; he activated the effect giving him an 80 ft. walking speed, closed the distance in a single move, and asked if he could draw the ram as part of his move instead of a weapon and use it to get a +4 bonus on his Athletics check to perform a shove attack. I was impressed he had restrained himself and waited so long to try it, so I let him. He succeeded and knocked the other fighter prone. Then he drops the ram, and uses his second attack to initiate a grapple. He succeeds. Now the other fighter has to break free in order to stand up. Finally, he uses the Disarming Attack maneuver with an unarmed attack (rolling with advantage since his enemy is prone). He still ends up doing relatively decent damage since he adds his superiority die to the damage roll, and the other fighter fails his Strength save and drops his weapon. The PC then spends his Action Surge to pick up the other fighter's weapon. Now it's his opponent's turn, but he's unarmed and rolling with disadvantage for being prone so he fails to break free or hit the PC. The PC then proceeds to murderize the other fighter with his own weapon. The crowd goes wild, cheering for the PC. He got to feel like the MVP of the session, and the other players were all extremely impressed with the ingenuity and wished they had thought of it first.

Asmotherion
2018-01-30, 11:17 AM
Take your starting gear and call it a day. As a Lizardfolk, you can craft some very thematic weapons and tools for a Barbarian. Invest in a Dagger, and make your lattest Arena Opponent's Bones and Head your new Shield. This will be a nice Passive Intimidation.

In addition to that, you can hoard the Bone-Weapons you make, Believing it's the real prize of your time as a Gladiator. As an utilitarian, hoarding weapons, perhaps in secret sashes around the places you have visited just-in case, would make sence.

Ventruenox
2018-01-30, 11:36 AM
Take improvised weapons as the Gladiator bonus proficiency. You create your own Cestus, a classic gladiatorial weapon. Since it does not exist in the sourcebooks, it counts as an improvised weapon.

Dyndrilliac
2018-01-30, 12:15 PM
Take improvised weapons as the Gladiator bonus proficiency. You create your own Cestus, a classic gladiatorial weapon. Since it does not exist in the sourcebooks, it counts as an improvised weapon.

The only RAW way you can get proficiency with Improvised Weapons in general is to take the Tavern Brawler feat. The Gladiator variant of the Entertainer background says the following:

You can replace the musical instrument in your equipment package with an inexpensive but unusual weapon, such as a trident or net.

So it just gives you the weapon, not the proficiency. Besides, I really don't think you need proficiency with Improvised Weapons anyway. If you want to use a cestus as your unusual weapon, that's fine. Mechanically I'd just re-skin a dagger as a cestus (which is trivial enough that most DMs wouldn't even consider it homebrew) and just remove the Thrown property. Also, change the damage type to whatever is appropriate for your cestus (they can have blades attached for slashing, spikes mounted for piercing, or metal plates strapped on for bludgeoning). Like the dagger, consider it a simple weapon in terms of proficiency. So any martial class should be proficient with it by default.