PDA

View Full Version : The big guns?

Derpldorf
2018-01-29, 07:43 PM
I'm making a wizard for an upcoming campaign and would like to use the Illusion tradition, as it's something I've never played before. As i was reading the description of Illusory Reality an idea popped into my head.

It says the solidified illusion can't be used to directly harm someone, but what about indirectly. Like if i use my Minor Illusion to create a crossbow or ballista and make it real could i fire my perfectly real bolts with them and do damage? Would crossbow expert work with an illusion of a crossbow?

There's just something entertaining about walking around with a quiver full of crossbow bolts for the average battle and a bag of holding full of ballista bolts and summon an artillery piece whenever i need it. I could even use Malleable Illusions to winch it quickly.

Asmotherion
2018-01-29, 08:21 PM
It's DM domain really. I personally interpreat it as "making something highly unstable between real and unreal", thus if it were to be used with the direct intention of harming, the illusion would fade away.

If you want combat applications, look at the Wall spells (Wall of Stone, Wall of Fire etc), Wich are designed to be "passively there" and if something happens to be in their range, their effects kick it. I might even allow a Prismatic Wall to be replicated in this Way, as long as the Illusion you used to replicate it was used with a 9th level spell slot (provided ofcource you had some knowlage of what a Prismatic Wall is, and even better, had the spell in your spell list.).

Finally, anyone saving against your Illusion would also be only affected by it as if it was "half real". In case of Damage, he would take half the damage (and then would be allowed a save to reduce it further). He would see the illusions as transluent, but would still be able to interact with it, only it would be phasing through his body partially (on the surface).

Flashy
2018-01-29, 08:33 PM
Given that at 14th level I’d maybe let a barbarian haul around a regular ballista and fire it like a crossbow, sure.

It’s a 1/round action with an annoying supply chain to do damage that’s most likely not too much better than using a cantrip at that level.

Derpldorf
2018-01-29, 09:08 PM
It's DM domain really. *snip*

Interesting... i didn't think about replicating other spells. What if I just went full looney tunes and started summoning blacksmiths anvils 20 feet over people's heads. It would just be "passively there" and whatever happens would be gravity's fault.

Given that at 14th level I’d maybe let a barbarian haul around a regular ballista and fire it like a crossbow, sure.

It’s a 1/round action with an annoying supply chain to do damage that’s most likely not too much better than using a cantrip at that level.

It's more about entertainment than effectiveness, nothing say "my friend gets advantage on Intimidate checks" like a giant barbed bolt head tickling your nose.

samcifer
2018-01-29, 09:26 PM
For a big gun, try a gattling gun turret. They cut through tiefling spellcasters (even those in medium armor and shields) like a hot knife through melted butter. Take it from my recently deceased divine soul/hexblade character. :(

danpit2991
2018-01-29, 10:17 PM
the real issue with illusion is that it is very DM dependant have a long talk with yours before you commit because with a permissive dm illusion is awesome with a restrictive dm it sucks