PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Introducing 3.5 "Spell Mastery" Feat to 5th Edition, Bad Idea?

Thrasher92
2018-01-29, 08:32 PM
If I remember correctly, in 3.5 there was a feat called "Spell Mastery" which, upon being taken, would effectively allow wizards to have a number of spells equal to their spellcasting ability modifier "Permanently memorized" so they wouldn't need to prepare them anymore.

Would it be a bad idea to introduce this feat into 5th edition? It would allow Sorcerers and others to have more spells known.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-01-29, 08:36 PM
If I remember correctly, in 3.5 there was a feat called "Spell Mastery" which, upon being taken, would effectively allow wizards to have a number of spells equal to their spellcasting ability modifier "Permanently memorized" so they wouldn't need to prepare them anymore.

Would it be a bad idea to introduce this feat into 5th edition? It would allow Sorcerers and others to have more spells known.
Spell Mastery let you prepare certain spells without your spellbook; it doesn't grant extra prepared slots.

I'd be leery about a feat letting you flat-out know or prepare more spells; that kind of thing will all-too-easily become a must-have feat.

PhoenixPhyre
2018-01-29, 08:40 PM

I wouldn't mind this as a boon ("you learn <spell of your choice> as a bonus <class> spell. It is always prepared and doesn't count against your spells known/prepared."). As a feat it's too much a no-brainer. Especially for clerics or druids--since they know all their spells, adding more spells prepared drastically increases their versatility.