PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Am I wrong in thinking this is good?

SangoProduction
2018-01-29, 09:25 PM
Tanglefoot Bag Tricks has a trick that is called Sticky Bombs, which requires Throw Anything, and Quick Draw in order to use (and you must take the Equipment Trick feat, but that's a given).

It lets you throw a tanglefoot bag and another item at the same time. If throwing a tanglefoot bag and something else was at all in your repertoire of things to do, then this just seems to be doubling up on action economy.

And then we get to Alchemy (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/alchemy)sphere, which has Improved Tanglefoot Bag become a root, and have a DC that scales with your character. It could also be really cool for the explicit use of holding an Improved Fuse Grenades to the target, which does 4d6 damage + 2d6/3 HD.

(Of course, adding other disabling items to the throw, is probably a bit more optimal. Itching Powder + Tanglefoot Bag is a maneuver that I think requires the Evil alignment to even consider, lol.)

Throw Anything is just a feat tax, as ranged touch attacks are among the easiest things in the game, and even if they weren't +1 to hit isn't anything to write home about, but this seems really quite good.

timeeater14
2018-01-29, 09:29 PM
It seems like a lot of feats and character space taken up for one trick. What happens if you fight something incorporeal, for example?

SangoProduction
2018-01-29, 09:47 PM
It seems like a lot of feats and character space taken up for one trick. What happens if you fight something incorporeal, for example?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just presenting the case as clearly as I can.

In the case that you were looking to throw stuff in the first place, Quick Draw is already taken, so it's 2 feats for applying tanglefoot on top of something else. And the trick is just adding entanglement on top of whatever else you would normally do.

And...incorporeal are just generally a serious problem for any non-magical PC. There aren't a whole lot of options against them, especially if they do the hide-in-the-ground thing (which they never do, unless they are specifically there to say "hey, don't go this way").
Alchemist Sphere could spend a talent on Aligned Liquids to get a generally crummy (but better than default holy water) Good Water, which can explicitly target incorporeal.... in melee.

Ellrin
2018-01-29, 10:56 PM
It's not bad for a halfling with the resourceful alternate racial trait, since you're treated as having Throw Anything for the purpose of qualifying for feats.

Hugh Mann
2018-01-29, 11:47 PM
You may have to watch out for encumbrance. Each tanglefoot bag does weigh 4 pounds, and if you want to make the most of this combo then you will probably need to carry quite a few.

Kurald Galain
2018-01-30, 03:03 AM

Why is that a problem?

Almost no trick in the game works all of the time. This is very much by design, and this is why you don't make a one-trick pony character. That doesn't make it a bad trick as long as it works on most things you'll be fighting.

SangoProduction
2018-01-30, 08:06 AM
You may have to watch out for encumbrance. Each tanglefoot bag does weigh 4 pounds, and if you want to make the most of this combo then you will probably need to carry quite a few.

Yikes. That is quite notably heavy. Thankfully my group isn't using encumbrance ("within reason").

It's not bad for a halfling with the resourceful alternate racial trait, since you're treated as having Throw Anything for the purpose of qualifying for feats.

Could also just get it straight up with Human. Not to sound snarky. Alchemist class also gets throw anything for free.

Why is that a problem?

Almost no trick in the game works all of the time. This is very much by design, and this is why you don't make a one-trick pony character. That doesn't make it a bad trick as long as it works on most things you'll be fighting.

Agreed

Vizzerdrix
2018-01-30, 02:32 PM
This sounds good depending on how many badgers you can carry on your person.
:smallwink:

Drelua
2018-01-30, 03:03 PM
Yikes. That is quite notably heavy. Thankfully my group isn't using encumbrance ("within reason").

If your GM's nice enough to let you combine items by paying an extra 50% of the cost of all but the most expensive, as it says in the CRB in the custom magic item rules, you could probably ignore that anyway. I had a character once with muleback cords on his cloak of resistance and a heavyload belt on his strength belt, he had 28 strength so his light load was about 5000 pounds.

Ellrin
2018-01-30, 04:11 PM
Could also just get it straight up with Human. Not to sound snarky. Alchemist class also gets throw anything for free.

I mean, yes, but that ties up one of the main advantages of being human in a feat tax. Halflings only have to give up a few weapon proficiencies and a couple +2s to rarely used skills, and also get to use improvised weapons without penalty and act as if they have Catch Off-Guard for qualifying for feats, too.

Not that that's particularly useful in most scenarios.