PDA

View Full Version : Ritual Lore Bard

DrabBard
2018-01-29, 11:47 PM
Hello everyone. I'm running a level five Lore Bard. And I was thinking about eventually taking three levels of warlock so I would be able to use the ritual ability that they have with that one tome book. What are your thoughts on this? I was thinking about all of the different spells that the bard has plus the ability to have all of those ritual spells.

DrabBard
2018-01-29, 11:49 PM
Also, why not take conjure woodland creatures at level six?

Snivlem
2018-01-30, 02:03 AM
It's not bad at all, I think.
Several people already advocate picking up 2 levels of warlock with the bard class to get full eldricht blast, so one more level for an ability you really want and 2nd level slots shouldn't hurt to much. If you want it go for it. You already have level 3 spells, but consider waiting for after your magical secrets.

As to the 2nd question, the only reason I can think of is that summoning Pixies is as broken as it gets and will probably unbalance the game, and if you avoid that trick, conjure animals is better.

holywhippet
2018-01-30, 04:50 AM
Main problem I can see is that are going to have to wait 3 levels before you can get that ability as opposed to using those 3 levels getting better at being a bard. Lore bard is already a pretty strong class by itself. Depending on your campaign it might be better trying to get magical items like wands instead.

As for conjure woodland beings, you can't do it. That is a level 4 spell while you will only have level 1-3 slots and you can only use magical secrets to gain spells you will be able to cast immediately using your available slots.

DrabBard
2018-01-30, 09:09 AM
Main problem I can see is that are going to have to wait 3 levels before you can get that ability as opposed to using those 3 levels getting better at being a bard. Lore bard is already a pretty strong class by itself. Depending on your campaign it might be better trying to get magical items like wands instead.

As for conjure woodland beings, you can't do it. That is a level 4 spell while you will only have level 1-3 slots and you can only use magical secrets to gain spells you will be able to cast immediately using your available slots.

Hmmm...so magical secrets is capped out at level III spells? I use hero lab and it lets me select that spell for that slot.

Aett_Thorn
2018-01-30, 09:12 AM
Hmmm...so magical secrets is capped out at level III spells? I use hero lab and it lets me select that spell for that slot.

The magical secrets you get at level 6 will be limited to level 3 spells, because that's the max level slot that you have. The ones you get at level 10 can be higher level, since you have access to higher level slots.

That said, which rituals do you really want? As a Bard, you can already cast spells that you know as Rituals (though these will take up spell choices). But depending on which ones you want, taking the Ritual Caster feat might be a better investment.

DrabBard
2018-01-30, 09:13 AM
It's not bad at all, I think.
Several people already advocate picking up 2 levels of warlock with the bard class to get full eldricht blast, so one more level for an ability you really want and 2nd level slots shouldn't hurt to much. If you want it go for it. You already have level 3 spells, but consider waiting for after your magical secrets.

As to the 2nd question, the only reason I can think of is that summoning Pixies is as broken as it gets and will probably unbalance the game, and if you avoid that trick, conjure animals is better.

Yeah, I was going to go ahead and get my magical secrets and then maybe do that level 7 through 9. But it seems like it might make the board a little to Bardish that makes sense.

Arkhios
2018-01-30, 10:26 AM
In all honesty, I don't have much to contribute to the topic, but I had to chime in and say I accidentally read the topic "Ritual Lord Bard"...

If you didn't have a "name" for your concept (such as sorcerer/warlock is often called Sorlock, or sorcerer/paladin a Sorcadin) you could call it a "Ritual Lord" :D

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-01-30, 10:37 AM
Can this be accomplished via the spell sniper feat?

Snivlem
2018-01-30, 11:31 AM
Oh actually, there is a very good reason not to do this http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?549699-Pact-of-the-Tome-Maybe-I-m-Missing-Something-But

holywhippet
2018-01-30, 05:33 PM
You'd probably better trying to snag the ritual caster feat at level 8 (provided your int/wis score is high enough). That will let you add ritual spells from one class to a spell book and you can cast at up to half your level.