PDA

View Full Version : New Campaign Woes...

Deth Muncher
2007-08-26, 12:36 PM
Hmkay, so. The last campaign my friends and I did was a fairly silly one, and after a time, most people were more about killing and looting than actual story. So, pissed off, my DM ended that campaign and i starting a new one. However, since a lot of us started D&D in that campaign, we're struck with the whole "Well, I want to try something different" idea. Myself, having played a Halfling Sorceror previously, wanted to go and be a Half-Orc Barbarian. However, as it turns out, a lot of people are playing beat-stick characters, and now, we're faced with the fact that we have few casters. I figured "Well, hey, if we need casters...I'll be a...well, actually, I don't think I can say what it is, lest this happen to me: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0032.html

And yes, that kind of character is the one I want as the alternative to my Beat-stick. But then people started yelling at me for being overcomplicated. So...I'm stuck here. Beat-stick or caster?

Kaelaroth
2007-08-26, 01:04 PM
Spell-Caster all the way matey. It seems that you want to be one, and your group needs one. So why not be it?

Your friends may be annoyed at you for being overly complicated, but if you're making the character, it is entirely your choice - as you're gonna be doing the work.

UglyPanda
2007-08-26, 01:23 PM
Mind flayers have a massive LA, a typically nihilist attitude, high number of racial hit dice, and abilities that'll piss off your fellow PCs. Now, a mind flayer without any class levels is a level 15 character. This makes for a good enemy but a crappy PC unless you have access to the Expanded Psionic Handbook or Lords Of Madness. You also have to disguise yourself, find a lot of sentient creatures for food, and deal with the overall difficulties of having an overtly evil PC. In other words, this isn't beatstick vs caster, it's simple and mediocre vs. complicated and weak.

Are you playing casters as straightforward blasters? If you are, then you should just go Orc Barbarian. If you're trying to be Batman, then try a Wizard.

Deth Muncher
2007-08-26, 04:50 PM
Er....I thought Mind Flayers were LA 7?

And as to everything else... I dont WANT to play a caster, because that's what I played last time, and I'd like to try to branch out from casting, but apparently, everyone else is doing silly things... Example: A friend of mine is going to be a Hound Archon Barbarian at CL7....

At this point, I'm tempted to play a Gargoyle Wizard

:smallfrown:

Matthew
2007-08-26, 07:46 PM
Racial Hit Dice + Level Adjustment determines Effective Level, not just Level Adjustment.

ranger89
2007-08-26, 07:52 PM
If everybody else is getting all sorts of crazy with their PCs (and I mean everyone), then you'd better: (a) join them and cook up something equally whacky (though not as whacky as a mind flayer) or (b) call for a caucus to discuss the fact that everybody is getting out of hand with their PC selection.

Personally, I'd go with option B but that's based on my own gaming tastes and the general disposition of my gaming group. If I went with option A, I'd go Drow just cause.

Shas aia Toriia
2007-08-26, 07:53 PM
The answer is simple. Be a characater from ToB. You're still a beatstick, but it will ease you in, what with tecniques being sort of like spells.

lord of pixies
2007-08-26, 07:58 PM
:smalleek: i need help any u could give would be apretiated... how do i make a half dragon half fiend (see monster manual):smalleek:

Bryn
2007-08-27, 09:45 AM
Lord of Pixies: This is probably the wrong place to post this, but even so.

Well, one way would be to apply the half-dragon and half-fiend templates to some other creature, but that would pose problems in that you'd more accurately be 1/3rd dragon, 1/3rd fiend, and 1/3rd something else. Therefore, the way to go would be either to make a dragon with the half-fiend template or a fiend with the half-dragon template.

Therefore, take the stats of a dragon that's effectively (after level adjustment and its own hit dice) 4 levels less than the level you want, and apply the modifications listed under 'creating a half-fiend'. Alternatively, take the stats of a fiendish creature that is effectively 3 levels less and apply the Half-Dragon template.

The SRD (http://www.d20srd.org), specifically the pages for Half Fiend (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfFiend.htm) and Half Dragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfDragon.htm), will help you.

If you want help applying the templates, try the Character Builder thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18300).

Ranis
2007-08-27, 11:24 AM
Lord of Pixies: How in the blue blazes does a half-fiend-half-dragon WORK?

Deth Muncher-Mind Flayers are....well....evil. Very much so. Are you so sure that your party wouldn't kill you instantly? Or are you all evil?

Deth Muncher
2007-08-27, 10:40 PM
Oh sure, just because they have a tentacle face means they're evil....

Right....but yeah. I'd love to do Beatstick, but we have NO casters. Would a Cleric Barb work?

AKA_Bait
2007-08-28, 01:29 PM
Oh sure, just because they have a tentacle face means they're evil....

Right....but yeah. I'd love to do Beatstick, but we have NO casters. Would a Cleric Barb work?

Just play a Druid. You can beat stick (as a Dire Bear) when you want to beat stick and cast when your party needs a spellcaster.

Hopeless
2007-08-28, 02:30 PM
Hmkay, so. The last campaign my friends and I did was a fairly silly one, and after a time, most people were more about killing and looting than actual story. So, pissed off, my DM ended that campaign and i starting a new one. However, since a lot of us started D&D in that campaign, we're struck with the whole "Well, I want to try something different" idea. Myself, having played a Halfling Sorceror previously, wanted to go and be a Half-Orc Barbarian. However, as it turns out, a lot of people are playing beat-stick characters, and now, we're faced with the fact that we have few casters. I figured "Well, hey, if we need casters...I'll be a...well, actually, I don't think I can say what it is, lest this happen to me: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0032.html

And yes, that kind of character is the one I want as the alternative to my Beat-stick. But then people started yelling at me for being overcomplicated. So...I'm stuck here. Beat-stick or caster?

Why not both?

Say a couple of levels of barbarian with a couple of levels as sorceror (and YOU select the spells say shield, magic missiles... those spells with either no material spell components or are just handy to possess like magic weapon for example.
If you want you could pick up Eschew Material so you can get away with Mage armour and perhaps Extend spell if you pick up 4 levels as a sorceror but remember Barbarians have a d12 hd and as long as you get to roll your character and not base it on points there's nothing to say you can't have a CN Barbarian/Sorceror of 3rd/4th who has Still Spell to cast all those spells without having to make arcane spell filure checks with Knock as his/her 2nd level spell as that doesn't need material nor requires arcane spell failure checks!

No offence but it this is a case of who has the greater firepower have a look at the warlock or war mage, or better yet find out what everyone else is playing because if you run a mind flayer only to find out everyone else is running Lawful seeks destruction of all evil type characters you might have a problem and half fiend/half dragons? even if you pull it off that hound archon should be powerful enough to wipe that charcter out with all the level adjustments involved... so let us now what happens okay?

Deth Muncher
2007-08-28, 02:45 PM
Erm...Ok. The Eschew Materials feat is a free feat for anyone who plays a caster. Well, for us anyway. The DM hates keeping track of components and such.

As for a Sorc-Barb.....wouldn't that be hard, as Sorc's are Cha based and Barbs are Str based, both with the other's base being the drop stat?

Also, I don't know the multiclass penalties, and...what race should I be, then? I mean, Half-Orcs can multiclass for free once, yes?

Edit in bold.

The Mormegil
2007-08-28, 04:20 PM
Be gish. And wizard.

That means, you reel on with both arcane casting and combat things. And wizard has Scribe Scroll as a bonus feat and prepears from a book (means lots of utility spells).

If you want a build, post it in Character Builder Thread.

Deth Muncher
2007-08-28, 04:55 PM
Be gish. And wizard.

That means, you reel on with both arcane casting and combat things. And wizard has Scribe Scroll as a bonus feat and prepears from a book (means lots of utility spells).

If you want a build, post it in Character Builder Thread.

In fact, I don't want a character build. And...thread needs closing, as I decided on a sorceror.